Canon i860 - checking ink level??

Am I missing something?
Or is the only way to check the remaining ink level in my cartridges
by physically removing them, and doing a visual inspection.

Love this printer, but can't seem to figure out a way to check ink
level via a software interface.

hmm........

Any tips appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about canon i860 checking level

    "Horst" <hwolf@harborweb.com> wrote in message
    > Am I missing something?
    > Or is the only way to check the remaining ink level in my cartridges
    > by physically removing them, and doing a visual inspection.

    Mr Prism sits at the bottom of the ink tank and therefore says either full
    or empty - that's it
    Tony
    --
    Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas

    SleeperMan wrote:

    >> Not that it matters much anyway, since the low warning is all I really
    >> care about. Since the tank still has about 20% of the ink in it, the
    >> warning indicates that a refill or replacement will be needed soon.
    >> I've printed a complete 8.5x11 photo without the tanks running empty
    >> after the low warning.
    >>
    >> No big deal to me.
    >
    >But when warning appears, it's appr. 20% left. So, again you never know,
    >when cart is fully empty,

    Actually you do know...when the printer indicates the ink tank is
    completely empty, you can replace the ink tank. As I stated before,
    there are a minimum of three stages - full, low, and empty. When the
    printhead senses there is no more ink, it stops printing and insists you
    replace the ink tank. Once you do that, it will then continue printing
    where it left off.

    > so when warning shows, you replace cart and throw
    >away 20% of ink...?

    Not at all...I refill my ink tanks with quality ink from AtlanticInkjet.
    I've been doing it a year and a half with my i850 and no problems.

    Thanks for replies thus far.
    The software interface noted in one response is Windows only (I'm on a Mac)

    So I guess I'd better go buy one or two back-up carts for each color.......

    Sure wish it had a slightly better software interface though

    Why not refill? You can save a bundle.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    <snipped>

    > But when warning appears, it's appr. 20% left. So, again you never know,
    > when cart is fully empty, so when warning shows, you replace cart and
    throw
    > away 20% of ink...?

    ---
    AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > Why not refill? You can save a bundle.

    refill? Sure...

    i refilled my Canon i550 for a year and a half. Now my head is ruined -
    color inks are cross-contaminated (read thread 'i refilled my Canon 560).
    Refilling can show OK for quite a while, but in real it seems that head
    "rusts" slowly and when it shows corruption, it's already too late.

    So, never again...what i saved in this time by refilling, i'll spend now for
    new head or printer...

    Bill wrote:
    > SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >>> Not that it matters much anyway, since the low warning is all I
    >>> really care about. Since the tank still has about 20% of the ink in
    >>> it, the warning indicates that a refill or replacement will be
    >>> needed soon. I've printed a complete 8.5x11 photo without the tanks
    >>> running empty after the low warning.
    >>>
    >>> No big deal to me.
    >>
    >> But when warning appears, it's appr. 20% left. So, again you never
    >> know, when cart is fully empty,
    >
    > Actually you do know...when the printer indicates the ink tank is
    > completely empty, you can replace the ink tank. As I stated before,
    > there are a minimum of three stages - full, low, and empty. When the
    > printhead senses there is no more ink, it stops printing and insists
    > you replace the ink tank. Once you do that, it will then continue
    > printing where it left off.

    Nice....

    >> so when warning shows, you replace cart and throw
    >> away 20% of ink...?
    >
    > Not at all...I refill my ink tanks with quality ink from
    > AtlanticInkjet. I've been doing it a year and a half with my i850 and
    > no problems.

    Well, best luck... my head died after this period (i550)

Printers Canon Software Peripherals