pond pump for liquid cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Ok, there are a pluthera of water pumps for fountains/ponds that have pretty good pumping numbers for the system, but they all have a system that makes them have to sit on the bottom of the tank or whatever, not a direct feed. I'm not going to just put this pump in a pan of water and let it pump everything through and then just have it dump again! Is there a better solution? Or do i just have to buy an actual 12v pump? The reason i ask is cuz i can pick these things up for liike 12 bucks no problem, and they pump pretty good.

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
if your going to use it for an evaporative style water tower and basiclly have it running all the time sure why not. then u can have it sit in the bottom of the tower where its submerged and not worry about it. just like a swamp cooler.
SO my 2cents anyway. 8O

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
i'd rather have a closed loop i guess, kids could knock it over. It has to be semi- portable, as in, once a year I take it to an auction type deal and run some simple software.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
does a pond pump have to be completely submerged?
Can it be completely submerged?
Would I be able to build a small box to contain it and the water/mixture and seal it up that way then? I would probably use this as my resevoir as well then. Since it's not a closed loop system, I would have to go with this:
pump=>Radiator=>cpu=>Gpu=>dump to resevoir with pump

Do I have this all correct now?

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
hey some pond pumps do not require submersion. but most do. and your order or things is a little off. it should always be pump+cpu+then anything else in the computer+radiator then sump. so you get the most pressure to the cpu first! you could do something like the zalman reserator out of 6" dia. PVC and about a 1 or 2 gals of distilled water and some sort of additive and a submerged pump. the you can use 1/2" tubing which is the most optimal size.

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
hey some pond pumps do not require submersion. but most do. and your order or things is a little off. it should always be pump+cpu+then anything else in the computer+radiator then sump. so you get the most pressure to the cpu first! you could do something like the zalman reserator out of 6" dia. PVC and about a 1 or 2 gals of distilled water and some sort of additive and a submerged pump. the you can use 1/2" tubing which is the most optimal size.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I dunno if i could trust a pond pump what if it fails... i guess you have the bios to shutdown the pc but still it isnt very reliable..

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
your right about trusting a pond pump its designed to only work for about 4166 days between failures(if run 12 hours a day only 2100 days if run continuosly) and most computer systems only last about 3 yrs between failures or up grades.

just my $.02

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
your right about trusting a pond pump its designed to only work for about 4166 days between failures(if run 12 hours a day only 2100 days if run continuosly) and most computer systems only last about 3 yrs between failures or up grades.

just my $.02

uhhhhh...
Well, it's a fountain pump, not a pond pump, my computer is run like 4 hours a day, at most 8 a day, and I'm pretty sure that 4166 days is enough for this system, it's a socket A, but I'm going to test it on that for the first few months and then prolly use it on my new system i want to build after I get married in april.

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
well now that we know its not a pond pump!!!! the first thing is once your married you will never have enough money to get anything better than a dell computer!!!(J/K) that opens up your options on the sump and pump location. but will still require some manufacturing skills.
but its doable.

best of luck and ya might try ebay i have seen some home-made systems there that looked pretty robust.

sincerely
karl surf2di4

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
I did read the guide, i'm going to use that for my selection of the pump.

And i'm saving extra money for this system, she doesn't need to know about it...
No, she's cool, she knows i love my computers, i'm even giving her one with a 1.8 Pentium 256 ram and two 20 gig hard drives. No vid card, but seriously, what is she gonna do with it? She's not into games, and she finger types. But yeah, She knows i gotta have my toys... computer, mustang, and her.

Anyways, I was going to take an old psu that is fried and see if i can mount it up towards the top and take up two drives or something, put the pump in there and seal it up with a filler with a cork type of thing, and i guess from there it would go through the water blocks and then get cooled? I figure you would want it to get cooled and then put it through the water blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.