Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

B&W only printers

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 9:44:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to get him
to chill.

His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc) from web
pages, e-mailed statements.

He is determined not to have color.

So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?

--sharp text/lines
--long lasting inks (7 years or more).
--reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)


Thanks,
Alan.

--
-- rec.photo.equipment.35mm user resource:
-- http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

More about : printers

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:14:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:44:18 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>
>Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to get him
>to chill.
>
>His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc) from web
>pages, e-mailed statements.
>
>He is determined not to have color.
>
>So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>
>--sharp text/lines
>--long lasting inks (7 years or more).
>--reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>
>
>Thanks,
>Alan.


Look for a rebuilt/refurbed HPIII Laser printer. Bullet Proof. I
have documents printed on my old HPIII from 1990 and they are still
clear & black. I had to scrap it last year after it had produced in
excess of 400,000 printed pages in 13 years.
October 14, 2004 7:35:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:Nkhbd.119786$DH5.2199876@wagner.videotron.net...
>
> Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to
> get him to chill.
>
> His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
> from web pages, e-mailed statements.
>
> He is determined not to have color.
>
> So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>
> --sharp text/lines
> --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
> --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>
>
> Thanks,
> Alan.

What is YOUR problem? An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands, etc.)
are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:27:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:<pumbd.3724$SZ5.3621@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:Nkhbd.119786$DH5.2199876@wagner.videotron.net...
> >
> > Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to
> > get him to chill.
> >
> > His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
> > from web pages, e-mailed statements.
> >
> > He is determined not to have color.
> >
> > So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
> >
> > --sharp text/lines
> > --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
> > --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alan.
>
> What is YOUR problem?

What is your problem that you have to use all caps?

> An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
> is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get

The problem with laser printers is initial cost. The cost per text
page is arguably lower for laser, but the intitial outlay is much
higher. Given the number of pages per month he is printing, it would
take a long time to recover the difference by using the laser printer.
An HP or Canon ink-jet/bubble can be had for under $100 (CDN) and
comes with a B&W cart (color too, but he won't use that). Additional
carts are about CAD $20 - $30 ... at his rate of use it would take him
over a year per cart.

Laser printers here begin at about $300 (CDN). Carts, over $100. The
cost per page is lower, but he won't recover the difference for well
over 10 years at his rate of usage.

> color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,

I think I made it clear that he is interested in B&W only.

> professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands, etc.)
> are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.

I have ink jet for color photography and I've never had a smudge after
drying. Perhaps because I'm careful, but so it is the case with all
my photography prints, negatives and slides.

Alan.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:08:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> schreef in bericht
news:p umbd.3724$SZ5.3621@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:Nkhbd.119786$DH5.2199876@wagner.videotron.net...
> >
> > Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to
> > get him to chill.
> >
> > His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
> > from web pages, e-mailed statements.
> >
> > He is determined not to have color.
> >
> > So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
> >
> > --sharp text/lines
> > --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
> > --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alan.
>
> What is YOUR problem? An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser
printer
> is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
> color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
> professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands,
etc.)
> are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.


And what are the costs of colour toner? Compared with B&W?


--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 1:02:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:Nkhbd.119786$DH5.2199876@wagner.videotron.net...
>
> Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to
get him
> to chill.
>
> His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
from web
> pages, e-mailed statements.

Amazed his investments never go into the red. Please let me know how he does
it asap :-)
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 2:30:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Barry/Marek: Thanks.

Marek Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:14:27 -0400, E. Barry Bruyea <summers@gone.ca>
> dijo:
>
>
>>Look for a rebuilt/refurbed HPIII Laser printer. Bullet Proof. I
>>have documents printed on my old HPIII from 1990 and they are still
>>clear & black. I had to scrap it last year after it had produced in
>>excess of 400,000 printed pages in 13 years.
>
>
> The III is only 300 dpi. It will do, but you can get a rebuilt 4M+ for
> about the same. The 4M+ is 12 pages per minute, has genuine Adobe
<snipped>
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 3:31:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Most color inkjet printers will end up draining there color cartridges
during cleaning cycles, even if they are not used for printing, and many
will not print once the color cartridges are empty.

I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
bit. I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).

If he goes for one, do ask about how many prints (at 5% coverage
usually) the printer will output with the first cartridge.

Some companies provide partially filled "starter cartridges" with the
printer at purchase.

Art

Alan Browne wrote:

> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:<pumbd.3724$SZ5.3621@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>
>>"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>>news:Nkhbd.119786$DH5.2199876@wagner.videotron.net...
>>
>>>Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying to
>>>get him to chill.
>>>
>>>His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
>>>from web pages, e-mailed statements.
>>>
>>>He is determined not to have color.
>>>
>>>So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>>>
>>>--sharp text/lines
>>>--long lasting inks (7 years or more).
>>>--reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>>>
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Alan.
>>
>>What is YOUR problem?
>
>
> What is your problem that you have to use all caps?
>
>
>>An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
>>is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
>
>
> The problem with laser printers is initial cost. The cost per text
> page is arguably lower for laser, but the intitial outlay is much
> higher. Given the number of pages per month he is printing, it would
> take a long time to recover the difference by using the laser printer.
> An HP or Canon ink-jet/bubble can be had for under $100 (CDN) and
> comes with a B&W cart (color too, but he won't use that). Additional
> carts are about CAD $20 - $30 ... at his rate of use it would take him
> over a year per cart.
>
> Laser printers here begin at about $300 (CDN). Carts, over $100. The
> cost per page is lower, but he won't recover the difference for well
> over 10 years at his rate of usage.
>
>
>>color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
>
>
> I think I made it clear that he is interested in B&W only.
>
>
>>professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands, etc.)
>>are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.
>
>
> I have ink jet for color photography and I've never had a smudge after
> drying. Perhaps because I'm careful, but so it is the case with all
> my photography prints, negatives and slides.
>
> Alan.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 3:31:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Most color inkjet printers will end up draining there color cartridges
> during cleaning cycles, even if they are not used for printing, and many
> will not print once the color cartridges are empty.

My printer will print B&W when the color cart is empty or removed, no prob.
Usually have to be sure that B&W only is selected in the printer setup for the
particular job.
>
> I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
> bit. I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).

Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).
>
> If he goes for one, do ask about how many prints (at 5% coverage
> usually) the printer will output with the first cartridge.

Aware of this, thanks.
>
> Some companies provide partially filled "starter cartridges" with the
> printer at purchase.

Thanks, good point.


--
-- rec.photo.equipment.35mm user resource:
-- http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:08:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:L6Rbd.37963$ei3.1175442@wagner.videotron.net...
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> Most color inkjet printers will end up draining there color cartridges
>> during cleaning cycles, even if they are not used for printing, and many
>> will not print once the color cartridges are empty.
>
> My printer will print B&W when the color cart is empty or removed, no prob.
> Usually have to be sure that B&W only is selected in the printer setup for
> the particular job.

DeskJet's since the DeskJet 5550 will allow printing with only a black (or a
color, or both) cartridge installed.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:38:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Alan Browne wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
>> bit. I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).
>
>
> Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).

You need to look a bit harder ;-). Just this week a computer chain is
offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
for 99 cents. Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.

Art
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:53:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:38:42 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>
>
>Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
>>> bit. I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).
>>
>>
>> Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).
>
>You need to look a bit harder ;-). Just this week a computer chain is
>offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
>memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
>for 99 cents. Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
>others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.
>
That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
veni, vidi, reliqui
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:24:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hecate (hecate@newsguy.com) writes:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:38:42 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>>
>>>> I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
>>>> bit. I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).
>>>
>>>
>>> Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).
>>
>>You need to look a bit harder ;-). Just this week a computer chain is
>>offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
>>memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
>>for 99 cents. Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
>>others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.
>>
> That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.
>

My Lexmark E210 is MADE by Samsung (the ML 1210 was still on their web
page) not the other way round. The problem is that you have to buy a
LEXMARK replacement cartridge, but they are still sold in at least one
Michigan Office Depot store. Supplies for rebranded pritners can be iffy.

Lexmark has a reputation for selling overpriced ink/toner and I'd agree
with that. I bought a SAMSUNG ML 1740 instead of another E210 cartridge,
but I don't want to give the impression that I'd displeased with the
E210/ML1210 for basic text and graphics. The E210 will remain in use with
another computer and works fine. If you want superior monchrome grahics
you will hve to pay more, but for e-mail it's a great buy, so if you arfe
looking at a Samsung ML 1740/1750, I think you'd be happy with
the after-rebate price. (I paid $85 US.)

Brendan
--
October 17, 2004 11:55:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan1browne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f188e89f.0410140927.2b9061b4@posting.google.com...
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> news:<pumbd.3724$SZ5.3621@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>> news:Nkhbd.119786$DH5.2199876@wagner.videotron.net...
>> >
>> > Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet. We're trying
>> > to
>> > get him to chill.
>> >
>> > His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
>> > from web pages, e-mailed statements.
>> >
>> > He is determined not to have color.
>> >
>> > So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>> >
>> > --sharp text/lines
>> > --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
>> > --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Alan.
>>
>> What is YOUR problem?
>
> What is your problem that you have to use all caps?
>
>> An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
>> is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
>
> The problem with laser printers is initial cost. The cost per text
> page is arguably lower for laser, but the intitial outlay is much
> higher. Given the number of pages per month he is printing, it would
> take a long time to recover the difference by using the laser printer.
> An HP or Canon ink-jet/bubble can be had for under $100 (CDN) and
> comes with a B&W cart (color too, but he won't use that). Additional
> carts are about CAD $20 - $30 ... at his rate of use it would take him
> over a year per cart.
>
> Laser printers here begin at about $300 (CDN). Carts, over $100. The
> cost per page is lower, but he won't recover the difference for well
> over 10 years at his rate of usage.
>
>> color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
>
> I think I made it clear that he is interested in B&W only.
>
>> professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands,
>> etc.)
>> are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.
>
> I have ink jet for color photography and I've never had a smudge after
> drying. Perhaps because I'm careful, but so it is the case with all
> my photography prints, negatives and slides.
>
> Alan.

I mean printing envelopes, etc. in plain paper - not using coated paper. Low
end lasers aren't ready for photographs anyhow. For his purpose, nothing can
beat b/w laser in terms of long-term cost and maintenance.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:41:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Actually, it's probably made by Samsung, but it probably is also left
with Lexmark drivers, which might be just as bad ;-) However, the
Samsung version is also available, often for less.

Art

Hecate wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:38:42 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>
>>Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
>>>>bit. I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).
>>>
>>>
>>> Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).
>>
>>You need to look a bit harder ;-). Just this week a computer chain is
>>offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
>>memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
>>for 99 cents. Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
>>others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.
>>
>
> That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui
October 18, 2004 12:54:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

>That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.

Are all Samsung printers made by Lexmark?
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 6:36:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

(me@privacy.net) writes:
>>That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.
>
> Are all Samsung printers made by Lexmark?

The problem with those who were scared by a Lexmark as a small child is
that they see all things through phobic glasses.

Lexmark bought Samsung units and put their name on them, just as Dell buys
Lexmark inkjets and puts a Dell nameplate on them. In neither case are
the results a scourge on the face of the earth, despite what dedicated
Lexmark nay-sayers would have you believe.

Each brand, including Lexmark, has strong and weak points. I happen to be
a happy Lexmark inkjet customer, having bought a new one each time I
upgraded to a new computer. "me" got bit by one way back when and hasn't
gotten over it. One of the reasons I've stuck with Lexmark is that there
are relatively few complaints in this news group, unlike Epson, which has
fanatically devoted customers despite chronic and deadly head-clogging
problems. Those are inkjets, of course, so you can't carry experiences
over to lasers, in which Lexmark specializes. Apparently not having a
low-end laser they re-branded a Samsung ML 1210 that has provided sterling
light-duty service for me. So I've moved onto the Samsung ML 1740, with
which I hope I will have similar good things to say. This is a roundabout
way of saying ignore the naysayers and judge for yourself. You can spend
a little or a lot on a laser, depending you your needs, and shouldn't
write off this or that "brand" until you've looked for things, good and
bad, said about it.

Brendan

--
!