Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Socket A or wait for a 64 bit system?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 9, 2005 3:56:33 PM

I currently have a Socket A with a 2200+, ATI Radeon video, and a few other small goodies. I was thinking of purchasing a 3000+ for it and possibly slightly OCing it, but the processors even on ebay are over a 100 bucks.

Should i go for the processor, as what i have now is probably fine for the games i play for the next year, and that processor will probably take me two years... or do i wait and save up for a new 400 dollar 64 bit X2 combo (probably be 07-08)?

More about : socket wait bit system

December 9, 2005 4:54:41 PM

You may be underestimating the cost of the new 64 bit system as you'll need not only the MB/CPU, but most likely a new PSU and definitely a PCI-E Graphics card unless you go with one of the few socket 939 boards that support AGP.

You could go Socket 754 and avoid all the other components but at this point that would be pretty much stupid since you'd have no real upgrade path.
December 10, 2005 4:34:39 AM

The Biggest Part of about buying a new pc is getting Good products for good prices and have it upgradable. Upgrading in the pc market right now is Perfect because All the new technologys are out now.
I mean you can run some pretty badass system if you have the cash even have 1gb of video ram (which is INSANE) but if you have the money why not.

if i were you and didnt already own a amd64 id get this...

AMD 64 939 Motherboard
PCIE (PCI Express)
DDR2 ram? maybe your choice.. some say its better other say no..
AMD64 3200 (or 3000 if you can find one they will run ya 140$)

Imho id call you pretty stupid if you buy a Athlon xp cause your pretty stuck on that technology.. 939 has been Taken names for over 1 year now. You got Processors from 3000+ to FX57 and now even the X2 series...
Related resources
December 10, 2005 4:50:27 AM

Quote:
I currently have a Socket A with a 2200+, ATI Radeon video, and a few other small goodies. I was thinking of purchasing a 3000+ for it and possibly slightly OCing it, but the processors even on ebay are over a 100 bucks.


How about getting the AthlonXP 2500 (barton). It is one of the most overclockable CPUs ever made, and will happily bump up to a 3200 nine times out of ten.

Quote:
Should i go for the processor, as what i have now is probably fine for the games i play for the next year, and that processor will probably take me two years... or do i wait and save up for a new 400 dollar 64 bit X2 combo (probably be 07-08)?


That CPU will not work in your socket A motherboard.

By the way, what is your graphics card?
December 10, 2005 5:42:31 PM

Quote:
DDR2 ram? maybe your choice.. some say its better other say no..


939 is stuck with DDR, if you buy DDR2 for it you're kinda screwed. AMD will start supporting DDR2 with socket M2.
December 10, 2005 6:04:01 PM

you are? I was pretty dam sure with the new Nforce4 chipset amd64,pcie, and drr2 was possible... well nevermind then sorry.

I run 2-2-2-5 drr anyways and i think its great.
December 11, 2005 12:27:50 PM

Ok, so I'm guessing i'm better off just saving for now. I'm about to move houses, get hitched, and have to buy all new furniture etc. so money will be really tight. Maybe i'll get that extra dough from the wedding and be able to buy up the parts that i need.

The 2200+ i have now plays all the games i have right now, but looking at some of the stuff that's out there, i'm really looking forward to some of that awesome graphics stuff. Shoot, i just gave my own dad the advice to go with a 939 processor for the future, and now he's got an hp with 3800+, gig of ram and some pretty cool 128 meg graphics on there. I haven't really used it at all other than making sure it turned on for him, but geez, he's got a computer like twice as fast as me!

What's this M2 socket that's coming out(dorion)?
Should I wait for that instead?
It'll be about late may-june before i can build my system.
Right now i'm just preparing a case, a pretty nice one if i do say so myself!
I'll just give this whole system to my wife to be i guess... it's more than she needs.

OH, and for those that asked, i have an ATI Radeon 7500 4X AGP 64 MB
December 12, 2005 1:34:15 PM

I have a 2500 Barton 333 FSB that's just collecting dust. I don't plan on buying another Socket A board. You're welcome to it, just pay the shipping which should only be a couple of bucks.
December 12, 2005 4:36:36 PM

Mithras,

If 94Blue doesnt want it, I'd be glad to take it off of your hands. I have a socket a 1ghz thunderbird that will be my wifes after i build my 939 or M2....still debating that one myself.

I will likely go 939, since the M2 from what i have heard wont come out till june/july, and it will probably be a good 6 months until a decent selection of mobos comes out for them....so that would put me at a year from now before i get a new computer. BUT if i went from 1ghz to your 2500 barton...maybe i could wait it out.
December 13, 2005 12:30:23 AM

heck yeah, i'll PM ya!
I wanted a 400 FSB, but for S&H, heck yeah.
!