Has M. Lawn Dart been flying into Mt. St. Helens again?

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2005 6:58:41 AM

Small level 2 eruption this afternoon sending ash 20-30k into the air. I immediately thought of Melissa landing in the
caldron again :)

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:58:42 AM

Hi Carl,

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:58:41 GMT, you wrote:

> Small level 2 eruption this afternoon sending ash 20-30k into the
> air. I immediately thought of Melissa landing in the caldron again
> :)

In honor of today's eruption, and your thoughts of my historic crater
landing, here is a re-posting of the news reports from the day of my
infamous landing:

TCP/IP News Service report:

Headline: Crazy simulated bush pilot lands her plane *inside* Mt. St.
Helens!

Melissa (aka "simulated bush pilot") defied FAA restricted air space
and successfully landed her wee Cessna 152 inside the hollowed out
remains of Mt. St. Helens in southern Washington state.

Apparently, while she did not - technically speaking - crash her
plane, some propeller or engine damage was sustained during the
slightly bumpy ride as she applied the brakes after touchdown. She
could not re-start her engine for takeoff.

Last we heard, she was wandering around the crater trying to find the
"sweet spot" for her cell phone so she could call "AAA" for a tow.

For pictures of her little adventure, see here:

http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v61/watersprite/Fli...

[We apologize for the poor photo quality, but apparently, Melissa was
mucking about with her display settings trying to see if she could
coax a few more FPS from her virtual world.]

PS: Before she took off from KPDX, Melissa said that she was going to
use the same 19m mesh that "Frank" used during his recent Mt. St.
Helens sightseeing adventure. Underneath the new area of 19m mesh is
FSGenesis' 38m "west coast" mesh, with FSGenesis US landclass also in
the mix. The 19m mesh file was found at the "FSFreeware" site
mentioned by "Frank", and it is called "sthelens19.zip"

=======================

Follow-up "breaking news" bulletin later that same day:

=======================

TCP/IP News Service:

Breaking news bulletin: Simulated bush pilot rescued from Mt. St.
Helens crater!

Earlier today, we brought you the report of a simulated bush pilot
landing her Cessna 152 in the crater of Mt. St. Helens. The intrepid
(and extremely stunning!) pilot has now been rescued, and we will try
to get an interview with her shortly. First, here's the latest on the
incident...

After trying for what seemed like forever to find the "sweet spot"
for her cell phone, Melissa (aka "simulated bush pilot") finally got
through to "AAA". Unfortunately, the AAA customer service
representative insisted that they do not tow small aircraft from the
craters of semi-recently erupted volcanos. Relatively distraught -
though enjoying a very nice view - Melissa decided to pull out her
satellite equipped notebook computer to request assistance from her
fellow simulated pilots. She posted a short but to-the-point distress
message to a well known Usenet news group..."Help!".

Unfortunately, Tina was quite oblivious to Melissa's cry for help, as
she was immersed in high altitude photo shoots somewhere in the Swiss
Alps. However, our hapless damsel was not entirely out of luck - or
so she thought - as gallant helo-jocky-exrtraordinaire Bill Wolff was
deftly hovering his RC controller modified default Bell 206B Jet
Ranger nearby. Mr. Bill generously offered to swoop in for the
rescue.

Just as Bill's usually well behaved Jet Ranger was hovering over the
crater floor, ready to land, it inexplicably began to oscillate, and
within seconds, was spiraling upwards and away in a show of
anti-gravity agility *almost* never seen in these parts before
(though mysterious reports of this happening to other, less
experienced helicopter pilots have been noted). We haven't heard from
Bill since he disappeared into the stratosphere in this most amazing
aerobatic display.

Finally, it was yet another Bill, the well-meaning yet sometimes
curmudgeonly Fr. Bill Leaming who offered some assistance. Though not
being able to personally rescue Melissa from the volcano because he
didn't want to scratch his shiny new Cessna Citation X by attempting
to land in the limited space of the crater, the kindly Fr. Bill did
offer a prayer, then added "%comspec% C start /HIGHfs9.exe". We're
not quite sure just what this means, but it must have worked, because
very shortly after the mysterious utterance, a deafening roar was
heard as Captain Neil Jones descended into the crater in his somewhat
wobbly yet built-to-last Harrier jet.

Unfortunately, Neil's Harrier has an unhappy tendency to lurch
forward, nose down, just as he's about to land. This was not a good
thing today, considering that he was trying to land just behind
Melissa's crippled Cessna. Though Neil didn't feel a thing, Melissa's
poor Cessna, which, until now, had suffered only a bent propeller
blade, was now an integral part of the enhanced terrain texture.

We asked Melissa how she felt about the loss of her beloved Cessna,
and all she could say was "It was soooo cute!". Her face said it all,
as she looked just like this ----> :-(

Anyway, the flight back to KPDX was, though not altogether
uneventful, eventually successful. We still haven't heard from Bill
Wolff, but I'm sure he's up there somewhere, thinking to himself
"that silly Neil, if he'd just use the ultimate RC controller, he'd
be able to fly that Harrier without all the wobblies!"

We tried to interview Melissa's flight instructor, the esteemed Rod
Machado CFI, but he declined to comment on the incident. Instead, he
told us many lame jokes which we have decided, in our editorial
wisdom, to not print at this time. Rod just put on his dark
sunglasses and baseball cap, and walked away with a smooth swagger
that can only be achieved with a very high FPS rate.

Melissa, still looking a little like this ---> :-( , but mostly like
this ---> =:-o after her ride in Neil's Harrier, was finally able to
offer a few observations regarding today's adventure...

TCP/IP reporter: Why did you land in the crater of Mt. St. Helens?

Melissa: As a simulated bush pilot, whenever I see even the smallest
clearing, my first instinct is to make an emergency landing...even if
my plane is flying without any difficulties.

TCP/IP reporter: Did you notify ATC about your landing intentions?

Melissa: No. I'm sure if I had, they would have repeatedly told me
that I didn't have clearance to land. As a simulated bush pilot with
certain libertarian tendencies, that's not the type of message I like
to hear.

TCP/IP reporter: Yes...we've heard rumors of your impromptu glacier
landings, beach landings, and the occasional crowded city street
landings. It seems that you really do like to land!

Melissa: Yes! Fortunately for me, I get to land nearly as often as I
get to take off!

TCP/IP reporter: We'll let you go now, as I'm sure you'd like to fix
your hair after your, um, exciting flight with Captain Neil...so just
one final question. What are you going to do without your cute little
Cessna 152?

Melissa: I'm going to enjoy an "Amsterdam Breakfast" , then I'll
re-start the sim, and I'm sure my trusty Cessna will be there...all
shiny again, ready and waiting for our next little adventure!

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:35:18 PM

Well worth a repost and a re-read! ROTFL.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:j9suiw1q12bc$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...

> [...]
> certain libertarian tendencies, that's not the type of message I like
> to hear.
>
> TCP/IP reporter: Yes...we've heard rumors of your impromptu glacier
> landings, beach landings, and the occasional crowded city street
> landings. It seems that you really do like to land!
>
> Melissa: Yes! Fortunately for me, I get to land nearly as often as I
> get to take off!
>
> TCP/IP reporter: We'll let you go now, as I'm sure you'd like to fix
> your hair after your, um, exciting flight with Captain Neil...so just
> one final question. What are you going to do without your cute little
> Cessna 152?
>
> Melissa: I'm going to enjoy an "Amsterdam Breakfast" , then I'll
> re-start the sim, and I'm sure my trusty Cessna will be there...all
> shiny again, ready and waiting for our next little adventure!

March 9, 2005 2:38:32 PM

Brilliant!
ROTFLMAO
Pete S

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:11:17 PM

Hi Carl,

Corker, mate - notice Melissa's, err, sorry, Lawn Dart's, err, sorry,
Dart's feeble attempt at denial??

Typical of women drivers, if you ask me - QED!! :-))

Regards,
John Ward, sprinting for cover
"Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
> Small level 2 eruption this afternoon sending ash 20-30k into the air. I
immediately thought of Melissa landing in the
> caldron again :)
>
> --
> ...Carl Frisk
> Anger is a brief madness.
> - Horace, 20 B.C.
> http://www.carlfrisk.com

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:11:18 PM

March 10, 2005 2:21:31 AM

"Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
> Small level 2 eruption this afternoon sending ash 20-30k into the air. I
> immediately thought of Melissa landing in the caldron again :)
>
> --
> ...Carl Frisk
> Anger is a brief madness.
> - Horace, 20 B.C.
> http://www.carlfrisk.com

I just had to have a go at trying this landing:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y16/stevenhough_2000/

Although for some reason they seem to have ended up in reverse order.

SteveH
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:22:58 AM

Needs a username/password to log on to that URL:

"SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:%xLXd.1149$QN1.329@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Small level 2 eruption this afternoon sending ash 20-30k into the air. I
>> immediately thought of Melissa landing in the caldron again :)
>>
>> --
>> ...Carl Frisk
>> Anger is a brief madness.
>> - Horace, 20 B.C.
>> http://www.carlfrisk.com
>>
> I just had to have a go at trying this landing:
> http://photobucket.com/albums/y16/stevenhough_2000/
>
> Although for some reason they seem to have ended up in reverse order.
>
> SteveH

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:01:34 PM

Hi Dart,

Great - you can put the money you save on repairs towards your upgrade.

BTW, unless anything new is released in the next 4 weeks or so, I look
like following most of Colin's advice and getting an AMD64 FX 55 CPU, an PCI
Express 256 MB Nvidia 6800 Ultra graphics card, and 2GB of RAM - although
there still seems to be different opinions about whether 2GB is better or
not than 1GB of RAM??

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Regards,
John Ward
"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:01:35 PM

2GB is better IF it is really matched.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:422f804f$0$22458$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Hi Dart,
>
> Great - you can put the money you save on repairs towards your upgrade.
>
> BTW, unless anything new is released in the next 4 weeks or so, I look
> like following most of Colin's advice and getting an AMD64 FX 55 CPU, an PCI
> Express 256 MB Nvidia 6800 Ultra graphics card, and 2GB of RAM - although
> there still seems to be different opinions about whether 2GB is better or
> not than 1GB of RAM??
>
> I'll let you know how it all goes.
>
> Regards,
> John Ward
> "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:04:48 PM

Hi Dart,

Absolute corker!

A classic, there for all time.

Regards,
John Ward
> [...]
> certain libertarian tendencies, that's not the type of message I like
> to hear.
>
> TCP/IP reporter: Yes...we've heard rumors of your impromptu glacier
> landings, beach landings, and the occasional crowded city street
> landings. It seems that you really do like to land!
>
> Melissa: Yes! Fortunately for me, I get to land nearly as often as I
> get to take off!
>
> TCP/IP reporter: We'll let you go now, as I'm sure you'd like to fix
> your hair after your, um, exciting flight with Captain Neil...so just
> one final question. What are you going to do without your cute little
> Cessna 152?
>
> Melissa: I'm going to enjoy an "Amsterdam Breakfast" , then I'll
> re-start the sim, and I'm sure my trusty Cessna will be there...all
> shiny again, ready and waiting for our next little adventure!

March 10, 2005 2:36:38 PM

Carl Frisk wrote:
> air. I immediately thought of Melissa landing in the caldron again :)

easy link to Mt St Helen VolcanoCam
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Maybe too far away to see Lawn Dart's 152 covered with ash...... d:->))

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
March 10, 2005 3:12:22 PM

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:58:41 GMT, "Carl Frisk"
<c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> brought the following to our attention:

>Small level 2 eruption this afternoon sending ash 20-30k into the air.
>I immediately thought of Melissa landing in the caldron again :)

Here's more stuff.. and besides the magazine is sitting around here
with geologist and tripod on the cover!! What is that dome surrounded
by choke rings that he has there?? And how high up? Does he have an
oxygen mask? a chopper helmet?

http://www.geospatial-online.com/geospatialsolutions/is...

http://www.geospatial-online.com/geospatialsolutions/ar...

base URL: http://www.geospatial-online.com/
March 10, 2005 4:46:54 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:36:38 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Carl Frisk wrote:
>> air. I immediately thought of Melissa landing in the caldron again :)
>
>easy link to Mt St Helen VolcanoCam
>http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/
>
>Maybe too far away to see Lawn Dart's 152 covered with ash...... d:->))
>
>Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

awesome shot.. she's gonna' blow..... !!!!!

when???
March 10, 2005 4:46:55 PM

Gregory wrote:
> awesome shot.. she's gonna' blow..... !!!!!
>
> when???

VolcanoCam updates every five minutes, just stay tuned.....
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:36:52 PM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:33:11 -0800, Lawn Dart
<willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote:

>In honor of today's eruption, and your thoughts of my historic crater
>landing, here is a re-posting of the news reports from the day of my
>infamous landing:
>

>TCP/IP News Service report:
>
>Headline: Crazy simulated bush pilot lands her plane *inside* Mt. St.
>Helens!

Excellent. Time to clean my keyboard ... again :-(

I can see some sort of competition coming on. It will be entitled
"What's the most inappropriate place you have ever landed?" and the
prize will be the Lawn Dart Trophy. The best newcomer will receive the
Melissa Medal.

BTW, what's an Amsterdam Breakfast?

James
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:36:53 PM

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:25:43 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:15:34 -0800, Lawn Dart
<willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote:

>> Excellent. Time to clean my keyboard ... again :-(
>
>:-)
>
>> BTW, what's an Amsterdam Breakfast?
>
>Ever been to one of those quaint little cafés in Amsterdam where
>coffee is not necessarily the only "stimulant" on the menu? ;-)

Hi Melissa

I did think it would be something along those lines. I have been to
Amsterdam a couple of times. The first time I was 11. The second time
I was 17 and on a school rugby tour - so booze rather than drugs.

James
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:25:44 PM

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:34:58 PM

Hi Carl,

Thanks for that.

Is that just going from the markings on the RAM modules, or does the
matching need to be verified by using a program such as EverestHome, or the
like?

Regards,
John Ward
> 2GB is better IF it is really matched.
>
> --
> ...Carl Frisk
> Anger is a brief madness.
> - Horace, 20 B.C.
> http://www.carlfrisk.com
>

> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi Dart,
> >
> > Great - you can put the money you save on repairs towards your
upgrade.

> > BTW, unless anything new is released in the next 4 weeks or so, I
look
> > like following most of Colin's advice and getting an AMD64 FX 55 CPU, an
PCI
> > Express 256 MB Nvidia 6800 Ultra graphics card, and 2GB of RAM -
although
> > there still seems to be different opinions about whether 2GB is better
or
> > not than 1GB of RAM??
> >
> > I'll let you know how it all goes.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ward
> > "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:34:59 PM

Well the marking are a great start. But there was just an issue with some bad RAM that once it finally got resolved
(new replacement RAM of the same type) they were off and running, er flying...

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

!