NT4 Reference Site

Calvin

Hi all,

As I'm sure everyone is aware by now, support for NT4 ceases on December 31 this
year. Well - not strictly true - Microsoft have announced that PAID contract
support will be available on an individual basis, for payment of a quarterly
fee, for the next 2 years to the end of 2006.

But for most of us, particularly private users and small enterprises, support
will end :-( and we enter the era of 'self help' I have been working hard
attempting to build a central repository of accumulated knowledge and
information for NT4 Workstation and Server at:

http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au

Please have a look. I welcome comments, suggestions, additions, corrections
etc... using the email contact you will find on the index page.

Recently added is a page on known bugs and limitations at:

http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/bugs.htm

I KNOW the list here is FAR from complete. If anyone has any items to add here,
please let me know. If it is an acknowledged bug and you have the KB number from
Microsoft relating to the problem - all the better !

The next big problem we will face is the eventual disappearance of the KB items
from Microsoft's servers. This is already beginning to happen, I know some of
the referring links on the NT4 Reference site are dead, but there isn't a lot I
can do about this :-(

Anyway, welcome to the brave new world of NT4 self-help - it is almost upon us.

Calvin.

Yeah it's true. I bemoaned the loss of OS/2. Read about NT:
http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&sid=57669

I admire your spunk in building a reference site. I remember when ntfaq.com
used to only contain NT stuff.

Is it just me or is the XP push excessive? I have clients that run machine
control applications quite happily on NT. They don't need fancy graphics
but need fast response to the touchscreen. These are on a LAN and not
normally connected to the Internet. The only one that ever got a virus was
a Win2000 one, I assume from some RPC from another PC on the LAN. I like
Win2000 for the USB support but I've shown the identical application on XP
runs 25% slower. (Same computer just swap the hard drive with a fresh XP
Pro install.)

"Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> But for most of us, particularly private users and small enterprises,
support
> will end :-( and we enter the era of 'self help' I have been working
hard
> attempting to build a central repository of accumulated knowledge and
> information for NT4 Workstation and Server at:
>
> http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au

Lots of great info. Thanks.