can usb devices work with nt 4.0 server ?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 21, 2004 12:39:01 AM

Hi,
I have Win nt 4.0 server s/w loaded in our server at work. We planned to
switch from cable modem to broadband for net access. But the Broadband ISP
told us that NT 4.0 Server doesnt support USB devices and since the Broadband
Modem is a USB device, we cant use Broadband .
My questions:
a. Is this true ?
b. Is there some 3rd party utility that will allow us to use a USB device ?
We have free USB ports on our Server ?
c We dont wish to upgrade to Win 2k or 2k3 server just as yet.

Thanks in advance,
S Anand
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:23:04 AM

NT 4 (all flavors) does not support usb. People will tell you there are 3rd
party drivers out there, but no one will ever say they have used them and
they work for anything other than mice and keyboards.
Take an old computer, or get a real cheep one one ebay, load win2k on it,
and it will make a fine internet gateway, no need for server horsepower for
that application.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 12:52:54 PM

I can't imagine why anyone would even consider using the USB
port on any broadband router. There should be an RJ45 port
also. BTW cable is also broadband. Can we assume you are
talking about DSL?

"SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hi,
> I have Win nt 4.0 server s/w loaded in our server at work. We planned
> switch from cable modem to broadband for net access. But the Broadband
ISP
> told us that NT 4.0 Server doesnt support USB devices and since the
Broadband
> Modem is a USB device, we cant use Broadband .
> My questions:
> a. Is this true ?
> b. Is there some 3rd party utility that will allow us to use a USB
device ?
> We have free USB ports on our Server ?
> c We dont wish to upgrade to Win 2k or 2k3 server just as yet.
December 22, 2004 1:45:03 AM

a. I am referring to ADSL.
b. The BB modem is from the telephone company

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we'll haveto stick to cable modem for
now.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:15:04 PM

It's hard for me to believe there is an ADSL modem
out there which has a single USB port for communication.
Every router I've seen from various telephone commpanies
have an ethernet port as well. Do you by chance have the
make and model for the ADSL modem?

"SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> a. I am referring to ADSL.
> b. The BB modem is from the telephone company
>
> Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we'll haveto stick to cable
modem for
> now.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:15:05 PM

We never got that far while talking to them But now that you ask, I will
check .
December 22, 2004 2:24:19 PM

Hi DLW,

dlw wrote:
> NT 4 (all flavors) does not support usb. People will tell you there are 3rd
> party drivers out there, but no one will ever say they have used them and
> they work for anything other than mice and keyboards.

Well, I'm here to tell you it CAN be done. I now have USB support for
Webcameras, Mass storage devices (eg: HDDs etc..) and Removable media devices
(CD/DVD drives 'Disk on Key' Flash storage devices etc...

Keyboards and mice are also supported (but I have no need for that atm, so the
drivers aren't loaded here)

I'm using the solution provided by IONetworks. A BRILLIANT product. It does all
this simply, with a few 100k of code, and makes an absolute MOCKERY of the
claims by Microsoft that USB could not be easily incorporated into NT4.

The real reason is that Microsoft made the COMMERCIAL decision not to add NT4
USB support, because they knew it would impact on sales of Win2k, which was then
in the pipeline.

GETTING BACK TO TOPIC - and answering the question originally posted:

DON'T EVEN THINK about using a USB modem for broadband access. This is the
'cheap' solution offered for home PC users - It is a plain BAD idea. Go get
yourself a DSL/CABLE Router (many DSL routers come with a DSL modem inbuilt for
an 'all in one box' solution) These devices use an Ethernet connection to the
PC which can be utilised by ANY OS, NT4 included, and it simplifies greatly the
requirements to share the net connection to multiple users on a local LAN.

Calvin.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:24:20 PM

Calvin wrote:

> GETTING BACK TO TOPIC - and answering the question originally posted:
>
> DON'T EVEN THINK about using a USB modem for broadband access. This is
> the 'cheap' solution offered for home PC users - It is a plain BAD idea.

Amen to that. I've "fixed" this problem for a few people
who let some idiot set them up with USB modems for DSL/ADSL
or cable broadband connections. Doesn't matter that most
of them had W2K or XP as their OS: USB is a dumb idea for
*anything* that needs a lot of bandwidth, regardless of
whether it is a video camera, a hard drive, or a DSL modem.

Your cpu does *all* of the work during USB transfers. And
there is a lot of waste because the USB protocol is *very*
inefficient for transferring anything but very small blocks
of data. Even a slow 3 MBps DSL/cable connection will hog
your cpu so badly that many people will think their system
has crashed when in fact it may be working quite hard to download
a large file. Momentary "freezing" while loading a large image
or flash ad for a web page are also common.

> Go get yourself a DSL/CABLE Router (many DSL routers come with a DSL
> modem inbuilt for an 'all in one box' solution) These devices use an
> Ethernet connection to the PC which can be utilised by ANY OS, NT4
> included, and it simplifies greatly the requirements to share the net
> connection to multiple users on a local LAN.
>
> Calvin.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:38:55 PM

I have a feeling you spoke to someone over there who
has no clue.. <g>

"SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> We never got that far while talking to them But now that you ask, I
will
> check .

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 5:07:02 AM

Hi,
The model is SMC 7003 USB Modem
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 5:09:05 AM

Hi,
The BB modem is SMC 7003v.2 USB. They also told me they have USB modems of
Broadcom,Centillium and Linkmax , none of which can be used with NT4.0
server O/S as the same doesnt support it. Now, back to my point then..is
there any driver which can support these devices on an NT 4.0 server O/S ?

Thanks again,
S Anand

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> I have a feeling you spoke to someone over there who
> has no clue.. <g>
>

> "SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > We never got that far while talking to them But now that you ask, I
> will
> > check .

December 25, 2004 12:39:58 AM

Hi,

In answer to your question - unlikely - see my earlier post on this topic. There
is no PHYSICAL reason why a USB broadband modem could not be made to work under
NT4.0, but considering most manufacturers have bought the Microsoft line of
'NT4.0 is no longer supported' - hook, line and sinker :-( - it is unlikely any
manufacturer would have written driver code to do so.

I would so like to be proved wrong on the above statement, but i seriously doubt
I am. Honestly, i would also head the advice offered earlier too - ditch the USB
modem, they are plain bad idea, and go to a router modem external hardware
arrangement - it is far easier to control, doesn't require a lot of setup and is
easily expandable to provide net access to a whole LAN, should you have the need
for this arise in the future.

Calvin.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:54:32 AM

Thanks Calvin.

We already have a wireless lan setup at work. The cable modem is attached to
the linksys router and then we all get internet access thru a proxy .
The problem we have is with the cable companies..speeds, service etc etc.

Thats when the idea of using the BB internet offered by our phone company
arose...so now you know .

Thanks again !
S A
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 12:55:04 PM

You should be able to supply your own BB modem
complete with both RJ 45 and USB.

!