can usb devices work with nt 4.0 server ?

Hi,
I have Win nt 4.0 server s/w loaded in our server at work. We planned to
switch from cable modem to broadband for net access. But the Broadband ISP
told us that NT 4.0 Server doesnt support USB devices and since the Broadband
Modem is a USB device, we cant use Broadband .
My questions:
a. Is this true ?
b. Is there some 3rd party utility that will allow us to use a USB device ?
We have free USB ports on our Server ?
c We dont wish to upgrade to Win 2k or 2k3 server just as yet.

Thanks in advance,
S Anand
13 answers Last reply
More about devices work server

    NT 4 (all flavors) does not support usb. People will tell you there are 3rd
    party drivers out there, but no one will ever say they have used them and
    they work for anything other than mice and keyboards.
    Take an old computer, or get a real cheep one one ebay, load win2k on it,
    and it will make a fine internet gateway, no need for server horsepower for
    that application.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    I can't imagine why anyone would even consider using the USB
    port on any broadband router. There should be an RJ45 port
    also. BTW cable is also broadband. Can we assume you are
    talking about DSL?

    "SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hi,
    > I have Win nt 4.0 server s/w loaded in our server at work. We planned
    > switch from cable modem to broadband for net access. But the Broadband
    ISP
    > told us that NT 4.0 Server doesnt support USB devices and since the
    Broadband
    > Modem is a USB device, we cant use Broadband .
    > My questions:
    > a. Is this true ?
    > b. Is there some 3rd party utility that will allow us to use a USB
    device ?
    > We have free USB ports on our Server ?
    > c We dont wish to upgrade to Win 2k or 2k3 server just as yet.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    a. I am referring to ADSL.
    b. The BB modem is from the telephone company

    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we'll haveto stick to cable modem for
    now.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    It's hard for me to believe there is an ADSL modem
    out there which has a single USB port for communication.
    Every router I've seen from various telephone commpanies
    have an ethernet port as well. Do you by chance have the
    make and model for the ADSL modem?

    "SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > a. I am referring to ADSL.
    > b. The BB modem is from the telephone company
    >
    > Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we'll haveto stick to cable
    modem for
    > now.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    We never got that far while talking to them But now that you ask, I will
    check .
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi DLW,

    dlw wrote:
    > NT 4 (all flavors) does not support usb. People will tell you there are 3rd
    > party drivers out there, but no one will ever say they have used them and
    > they work for anything other than mice and keyboards.

    Well, I'm here to tell you it CAN be done. I now have USB support for
    Webcameras, Mass storage devices (eg: HDDs etc..) and Removable media devices
    (CD/DVD drives 'Disk on Key' Flash storage devices etc...

    Keyboards and mice are also supported (but I have no need for that atm, so the
    drivers aren't loaded here)

    I'm using the solution provided by IONetworks. A BRILLIANT product. It does all
    this simply, with a few 100k of code, and makes an absolute MOCKERY of the
    claims by Microsoft that USB could not be easily incorporated into NT4.

    The real reason is that Microsoft made the COMMERCIAL decision not to add NT4
    USB support, because they knew it would impact on sales of Win2k, which was then
    in the pipeline.

    GETTING BACK TO TOPIC - and answering the question originally posted:

    DON'T EVEN THINK about using a USB modem for broadband access. This is the
    'cheap' solution offered for home PC users - It is a plain BAD idea. Go get
    yourself a DSL/CABLE Router (many DSL routers come with a DSL modem inbuilt for
    an 'all in one box' solution) These devices use an Ethernet connection to the
    PC which can be utilised by ANY OS, NT4 included, and it simplifies greatly the
    requirements to share the net connection to multiple users on a local LAN.

    Calvin.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Calvin wrote:

    > GETTING BACK TO TOPIC - and answering the question originally posted:
    >
    > DON'T EVEN THINK about using a USB modem for broadband access. This is
    > the 'cheap' solution offered for home PC users - It is a plain BAD idea.

    Amen to that. I've "fixed" this problem for a few people
    who let some idiot set them up with USB modems for DSL/ADSL
    or cable broadband connections. Doesn't matter that most
    of them had W2K or XP as their OS: USB is a dumb idea for
    *anything* that needs a lot of bandwidth, regardless of
    whether it is a video camera, a hard drive, or a DSL modem.

    Your cpu does *all* of the work during USB transfers. And
    there is a lot of waste because the USB protocol is *very*
    inefficient for transferring anything but very small blocks
    of data. Even a slow 3 MBps DSL/cable connection will hog
    your cpu so badly that many people will think their system
    has crashed when in fact it may be working quite hard to download
    a large file. Momentary "freezing" while loading a large image
    or flash ad for a web page are also common.

    > Go get yourself a DSL/CABLE Router (many DSL routers come with a DSL
    > modem inbuilt for an 'all in one box' solution) These devices use an
    > Ethernet connection to the PC which can be utilised by ANY OS, NT4
    > included, and it simplifies greatly the requirements to share the net
    > connection to multiple users on a local LAN.
    >
    > Calvin.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    I have a feeling you spoke to someone over there who
    has no clue.. <g>

    "SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > We never got that far while talking to them But now that you ask, I
    will
    > check .

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi,
    The model is SMC 7003 USB Modem
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi,
    The BB modem is SMC 7003v.2 USB. They also told me they have USB modems of
    Broadcom,Centillium and Linkmax , none of which can be used with NT4.0
    server O/S as the same doesnt support it. Now, back to my point then..is
    there any driver which can support these devices on an NT 4.0 server O/S ?

    Thanks again,
    S Anand

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > I have a feeling you spoke to someone over there who
    > has no clue.. <g>
    >

    > "SA405" <SA405@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > We never got that far while talking to them But now that you ask, I
    > will
    > > check .

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi,

    In answer to your question - unlikely - see my earlier post on this topic. There
    is no PHYSICAL reason why a USB broadband modem could not be made to work under
    NT4.0, but considering most manufacturers have bought the Microsoft line of
    'NT4.0 is no longer supported' - hook, line and sinker :-( - it is unlikely any
    manufacturer would have written driver code to do so.

    I would so like to be proved wrong on the above statement, but i seriously doubt
    I am. Honestly, i would also head the advice offered earlier too - ditch the USB
    modem, they are plain bad idea, and go to a router modem external hardware
    arrangement - it is far easier to control, doesn't require a lot of setup and is
    easily expandable to provide net access to a whole LAN, should you have the need
    for this arise in the future.

    Calvin.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks Calvin.

    We already have a wireless lan setup at work. The cable modem is attached to
    the linksys router and then we all get internet access thru a proxy .
    The problem we have is with the cable companies..speeds, service etc etc.

    Thats when the idea of using the BB internet offered by our phone company
    arose...so now you know .

    Thanks again !
    S A
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    You should be able to supply your own BB modem
    complete with both RJ 45 and USB.

    > Hi,
    > The model is SMC 7003 USB Modem

Broadband USB Devices Servers Windows