HateToWait

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I need to run several resource hungry, financial graphing applications, plus similar Java applications at once ( stock market trading software ), with four monitors and AverTV card running in a window, plus skype VOIP partime.

My current 1GB, 1.2GHz machine just can't cope. The CPU is often maxed out, and otherwise above 80%. What is the fastest machine I can put together to run my software without delays?

Is there a web site with 'todays fastest PC spec' ? Also, can I cluster my current PC with the new one I would build, using Windows XP pro? Can I cluster with Linux on the new machine (for the java apps), and Win XP on the old one?

Should I be going for a single cpu ( dual core? ) or a dual CPU motherboard and cpu.

Can dual cpu motherboards take two dual core CPUs?

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
well for gaming and stuff this is one of the fastest you can get imho

Amd64 939 Fx57
Asus SLI premium mobo
2x7800gtx 512mb cards
2x1gb ocz Gold series ram
Pc power and cooling psu (any of them 500w or above)

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
well for gaming and stuff this is one of the fastest you can get imho

Amd64 939 Fx57
Asus SLI premium mobo
2x7800gtx 512mb cards
2x1gb ocz Gold series ram
Pc power and cooling psu (any of them 500w or above)

I'd like to try hl2 on that :)

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Well i would build a slightly different machine then my buddy Shata....

To get the best computer possible you will have to overlock....nothign huge but 20% on all parts can turn in a HUGE result.

He wants you to get 2GB of VX ram....which is only good in motherboards that can get 3.2-3.6V's the board he chose....CAN'T. I would get 2GB of Crucial Balistix because they are the only 2GB kit i know of thast can can get higher then 300FSB when overclocking.

I would say get a Opteron, dualcore, and overclock it. The opterons have more chace for the dual cores. Also they OC better then other AMD dual cores.

If you want to OC i would get the DFI SLI board, it comes with tinkerinr options and often has the best overclocks possible. You can even use that VX ram he was talking about which will give you 2-2-2-5 imings up o 260fsb....with a ram divider you can get 3.2Ghz on air and still have high speed ram with SUPER tight timings.

Graphic cards.....RIGHT ON THE BUTTON! I like BFG as a nvidia brand but XFX and Evga are also very good.

PSU....if you wantr the best get what Shata said. Personally i would save about $100-150 and get a 600W FSP or Enermax, great brands and will run this setup easily.

Everyhing with a 20-25% OC (which all componants can do...) you will be maxing out all games at the higest res settings with all AA and all AF settings.

HateToWait

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Thanks, for the guidance. CPU and graphics cards, certainly not cheap! I'll probably build it in early January and let you know how it goes.