Can't boot from Windows 2K disc. Help!

DavidW

Just got a new mobo, processor, memory and case for a work computer. When I
tried to start up got a Stop error. After some research I found I should
repair the installation. I also called tech support from where I got the
computer. While waiting I started to try to run the repair but didn't know
what option to pick so I cancelled out. Once I got the tech guy he said to do
what I did, start with 2000 disc with Boot from CD option, pick install (not
repair) then when it found the old installation to pick repair from there.
Great, I thought, solution found. Restarted the computer and now I cannot get
it to boot from the CD, no matter what I do. I have the bios set to Floppy,
CD, Hard drive but everytime it doesn't boot from the CD and tries to start
window but I get Stop Error again. Ack!
How do I get back to the installation screen to repair the disk so I can get
it working? Appreciate any and all help.

Look for the keystroke (if necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom
drive or check your mobo/pc manual for instructions.

How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"DavidW" wrote:
| Just got a new mobo, processor, memory and case for a work computer. When
| tried to start up got a Stop error. After some research I found I should
| repair the installation. I also called tech support from where I got the
| computer. While waiting I started to try to run the repair but didn't know
| what option to pick so I cancelled out. Once I got the tech guy he said to
do
| what I did, start with 2000 disc with Boot from CD option, pick install
(not
| repair) then when it found the old installation to pick repair from there.
| Great, I thought, solution found. Restarted the computer and now I cannot
get
| it to boot from the CD, no matter what I do. I have the bios set to
Floppy,
| CD, Hard drive but everytime it doesn't boot from the CD and tries to
start
| window but I get Stop Error again. Ack!
| How do I get back to the installation screen to repair the disk so I can
get
| it working? Appreciate any and all help.

DavidW

Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand what you mean by 'look for the
keystroke at POST". What is POST? Thanks.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Look for the keystroke (if necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom
> drive or check your mobo/pc manual for instructions.
>
> How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694
>

> HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "DavidW" wrote:
> | Just got a new mobo, processor, memory and case for a work computer. When
> | tried to start up got a Stop error. After some research I found I should
> | repair the installation. I also called tech support from where I got the
> | computer. While waiting I started to try to run the repair but didn't know
> | what option to pick so I cancelled out. Once I got the tech guy he said to
> do
> | what I did, start with 2000 disc with Boot from CD option, pick install
> (not
> | repair) then when it found the old installation to pick repair from there.
> | Great, I thought, solution found. Restarted the computer and now I cannot
> get
> | it to boot from the CD, no matter what I do. I have the bios set to
> Floppy,
> | CD, Hard drive but everytime it doesn't boot from the CD and tries to
> start
> | window but I get Stop Error again. Ack!
> | How do I get back to the installation screen to repair the disk so I can
> get
> | it working? Appreciate any and all help.

Power-on-self-test

--

"DavidW" wrote:
| Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand what you mean by 'look for the
| keystroke at POST". What is POST? Thanks.

DavidW

Thanks but I have no idea how to do that and couldn't find that information
in either of the articles you pointed me towards.

"DavidW" wrote:
| Thanks but I have no idea how to do that
* Then you'll want to check your mobo manual for the instructions on how to
boot from CD-Rom.

and couldn't find that information
| in either of the articles you pointed me towards.
* The articles have nothing to do with booting from CD-Rom. They are
reference articles on prerequisite steps to replacing hardware.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Or just boot from setup floppies. The set of four install disks can be
created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on
the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit)
and follow the prompts.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional