NTFS, chkdsk,

GE

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

(NT4 workstation, sp6a, ntfs)

My c: drive once came in contact with W2K, which I understand
automatically 'upgraded' its ntfs. Since then, the drive has been
useable, but I can't run CHKDSK or Diskeeper. I'd like to know if
these problems are connected to the ntfs upgrade, and/or if they can
be fixed or gotten around:

1. CHKDSK won't work: "This NTFS volume was created or modified by a
later version of Windows NT."
So, OK.

2. I tried NTFSCHK, from
www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml

For this, I created
C:
|__ W2K

|__ ntfschk.exe

|__ system32

|__ autochk.exe
|__ c_1252.nls
|__ c_437.nls
|__ l_intl.nls
|__ ntdll.dll

, and run NTFSCHK from that W2K directory. That just gives the
message "Could not lock C: for NTFSCHK: Access is denied."
I have no idea why this is, or how to release it. I log on as
administrator.

3. With Diskeeper (lite), when I try to 'analyze' c:, I get the
message ""diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on
the volume ..."
Using REGEDIT, I searched the registry for CHKDSK; the only
reference I found was under Diskeeper itself.

AFAICT, CHKDSK does not run on boot.

In the registry, I did find a "BootExecute" entry for AUTOCHK, in
<HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager>. I removed
C: from the argument list. Diskeeper still gives the same message.

As above, I would like to be able to run CHKDSK (or equivalent) and
Diskeeper. Any ideas would be appreciated.

George Eccles

George,

Your only solution for being able to run CHKDSK is to backup the data,
re-format the drive and restore the data.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

Greg Hayes/Raxco Software wrote:
> George,
>
> Your only solution for being able to run CHKDSK is to backup the data,
> re-format the drive and restore the data.

Ummm ... that suggestion is about 5 years out of date,
which is how long NTFSchk has been freely available from
Winternals/SysInternals.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml

> - Greg/Raxco Software
> Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
>
> Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
> commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.
>
> Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
> "ge" <e_c_l_e_s@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>
>>(NT4 workstation, sp6a, ntfs)
>>
>>My c: drive once came in contact with W2K, which I understand
>>automatically 'upgraded' its ntfs. Since then, the drive has been
>>useable, but I can't run CHKDSK or Diskeeper. I'd like to know if
>>these problems are connected to the ntfs upgrade, and/or if they can
>>be fixed or gotten around:
>>
>>1. CHKDSK won't work: "This NTFS volume was created or modified by a
>> later version of Windows NT."
>> So, OK.
>>
>>2. I tried NTFSCHK, from
>> www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml
>>
>> For this, I created
>> C:
>> |__ W2K
>> |
>> |__ ntfschk.exe
>> |
>> |__ system32
>> |
>> |__ autochk.exe
>> |__ c_1252.nls
>> |__ c_437.nls
>> |__ l_intl.nls
>> |__ ntdll.dll
>>
>> , and run NTFSCHK from that W2K directory. That just gives the
>> message "Could not lock C: for NTFSCHK: Access is denied."
>> I have no idea why this is, or how to release it. I log on as
>> administrator.
>>
>>3. With Diskeeper (lite), when I try to 'analyze' c:, I get the
>> message ""diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on
>> the volume ..."
>> Using REGEDIT, I searched the registry for CHKDSK; the only
>> reference I found was under Diskeeper itself.
>>
>> AFAICT, CHKDSK does not run on boot.
>>
>> In the registry, I did find a "BootExecute" entry for AUTOCHK, in
>> <HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager>. I removed
>> C: from the argument list. Diskeeper still gives the same message.
>>

>>As above, I would like to be able to run CHKDSK (or equivalent) and
>>Diskeeper. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>>George Eccles

GE

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:22:42 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Greg Hayes/Raxco Software wrote:
>> George,
>>
>> Your only solution for being able to run CHKDSK is to backup the data,
>> re-format the drive and restore the data.
>
>Ummm ... that suggestion is about 5 years out of date,
>which is how long NTFSchk has been freely available from
>Winternals/SysInternals.
>
>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml

At the risk of being repetitive, I did try NTFSchk; it said it was
unable to lock the drive. If you have thoughts on how to overcome
that, I'd appreciate hearing them.

George

ge wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:22:42 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Greg Hayes/Raxco Software wrote:
>>
>>>George,
>>>
>>>Your only solution for being able to run CHKDSK is to backup the data,
>>>re-format the drive and restore the data.
>>
>>Ummm ... that suggestion is about 5 years out of date,
>>which is how long NTFSchk has been freely available from
>>Winternals/SysInternals.
>>
>>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml
>

> At the risk of being repetitive, I did try NTFSchk; it said it was
> unable to lock the drive. If you have thoughts on how to overcome
> that, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Sorry - I was skimming too fast when checking out the
glut of messages that piled up while I was away over
Christmas.

For your C: drive - or any other drive that can't be
locked - you will need to either boot from a floppy/CD
with NTFSChk on it or boot from some other partition on
the drive.

At the last place I worked that still used NT4, I
made up a bootable emergency CD with lots of useful
tools on it, especially including NTFSDos Pro and
NTFSChk. I'll give them a ring and see if they'll
send me a detailed dir listing.

>>>- Greg/Raxco Software
>>>Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
>>>
>>>Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
>>>commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.
>>>
>>>Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
>>>"ge" <e_c_l_e_s@a-znet.com> wrote in message

GE

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:22:34 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote:

>... At the last place I worked that still used NT4, I
>made up a bootable emergency CD with lots of useful
>tools on it, especially including NTFSDos Pro and
>NTFSChk. I'll give them a ring and see if they'll
>send me a detailed dir listing.

I'd appreciate that, if it's possible.

George

Rob,

It requires use of a 3rd party product and really shouldn't be considered a
long term solution. Additionally, we have had people contact Raxco to
inquire if we had some sort of tool as they have experienced problems with
NTFSCHK.

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Greg Hayes/Raxco Software wrote:
> > George,
> >
> > Your only solution for being able to run CHKDSK is to backup the data,
> > re-format the drive and restore the data.
>
> Ummm ... that suggestion is about 5 years out of date,
> which is how long NTFSchk has been freely available from
> Winternals/SysInternals.
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml
>

> > - Greg/Raxco Software
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
> >
> > Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
> > commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support
department.

> > Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
> > "ge" <e_c_l_e_s@a-znet.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>(NT4 workstation, sp6a, ntfs)
> >>
> >>My c: drive once came in contact with W2K, which I understand
> >>automatically 'upgraded' its ntfs. Since then, the drive has been
> >>useable, but I can't run CHKDSK or Diskeeper. I'd like to know if
> >>these problems are connected to the ntfs upgrade, and/or if they can
> >>be fixed or gotten around:
> >>
> >>1. CHKDSK won't work: "This NTFS volume was created or modified by a
> >> later version of Windows NT."
> >> So, OK.
> >>
> >>2. I tried NTFSCHK, from
> >> www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml
> >>
> >> For this, I created
> >> C:
> >> |__ W2K
> >> |
> >> |__ ntfschk.exe
> >> |
> >> |__ system32
> >> |
> >> |__ autochk.exe
> >> |__ c_1252.nls
> >> |__ c_437.nls
> >> |__ l_intl.nls
> >> |__ ntdll.dll
> >>
> >> , and run NTFSCHK from that W2K directory. That just gives the
> >> message "Could not lock C: for NTFSCHK: Access is denied."
> >> I have no idea why this is, or how to release it. I log on as
> >> administrator.
> >>
> >>3. With Diskeeper (lite), when I try to 'analyze' c:, I get the
> >> message ""diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on
> >> the volume ..."
> >> Using REGEDIT, I searched the registry for CHKDSK; the only
> >> reference I found was under Diskeeper itself.
> >>
> >> AFAICT, CHKDSK does not run on boot.
> >>
> >> In the registry, I did find a "BootExecute" entry for AUTOCHK, in
> >> <HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager>. I removed
> >> C: from the argument list. Diskeeper still gives the same message.
> >>

> >>As above, I would like to be able to run CHKDSK (or equivalent) and
> >>Diskeeper. Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >>
> >>George Eccles

Greg Hayes/Raxco Software wrote:
> Rob,
>
> It requires use of a 3rd party product and really shouldn't be considered a
> long term solution.

Ummm ... *your* product is a 3rd party product used for
defragging. You obviously would not suggest that hence
PerfectDisk "shouldn't be considered a long term solution",
so why would you think being a "3rd party product" is a
strike against anyone else's products ?

> Additionally, we have had people contact Raxco to
> inquire if we had some sort of tool as they have experienced problems with
> NTFSCHK.

Sorry to hear that - it has worked flawlessly for me.

Hopefully you told those people to talk to the guys at
Winternals / SysInternals.

I would be interested to hear what problems they were
having and what solutions - if any - were found.

> - Greg/Raxco Software
> Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
>
> Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
>
> "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Greg Hayes/Raxco Software wrote:
>>
>>>George,
>>>
>>>Your only solution for being able to run CHKDSK is to backup the data,
>>>re-format the drive and restore the data.
>>
>>Ummm ... that suggestion is about 5 years out of date,
>>which is how long NTFSchk has been freely available from
>>Winternals/SysInternals.
>>
>>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml
>>

>>>- Greg/Raxco Software
>>>Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
>>>
>>>Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
>>>commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support
>
> department.
>
>>>Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
>>>"ge" <e_c_l_e_s@a-znet.com> wrote in message

The reason that I don't feel that it is a long term solution is that the
file system itself has been changed so that a built-in tool provided by
Microsoft as part of the operating system is no longer able to be used to
find/fix file system inconsistencies. This essentially renders
AutoCHK/CHKDSK useless - one of the first "lines of defense" that Windows
uses to ensure that the file system remains in a consistent state.

The native ability to find/fix file system inconsistencies is considered far
more important than an optional tool like a defragmenter. Fragmentation
simply slows down file system performance. The only major drawback is
performance. Not being able to natively find/fix file system
inconsistencies has many more drawbacks - all potentially more serious than
fragmentation.

> Greg Hayes/Raxco Software wrote:
> > Rob,
> >
> > It requires use of a 3rd party product and really shouldn't be
considered a
> > long term solution.
>
> Ummm ... *your* product is a 3rd party product used for
> defragging. You obviously would not suggest that hence
> PerfectDisk "shouldn't be considered a long term solution",
> so why would you think being a "3rd party product" is a
> strike against anyone else's products ?
>
> > Additionally, we have had people contact Raxco to
> > inquire if we had some sort of tool as they have experienced problems
with
> > NTFSCHK.
>
> Sorry to hear that - it has worked flawlessly for me.
>
> Hopefully you told those people to talk to the guys at
> Winternals / SysInternals.
>
> I would be interested to hear what problems they were
> having and what solutions - if any - were found.
>

> > - Greg/Raxco Software
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
> >
> > Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
> >
> > "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> >>Ummm ... that suggestion is about 5 years out of date,
> >>which is how long NTFSchk has been freely available from
> >>Winternals/SysInternals.
> >>
> >>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml

> > department.

Latest posts