please advise re: free cashe cleaner

Hi' Everyone.
I am new to this group and I have xphome. Would someone kindly advise me if
there is a free cashe cleaner available. I downloaded one but turns out I
have to pay for it and it found almost 5000 duplicate files. I have only had
the computer for a few weeks so don't understand this. I'm not against
paying for something but I don't like giving my credit card details on the
internet. I'm worried about all this stuff on my computer.
Thank you very much,
Lana.

Hi Lana,

To remove the Internet explorer cache please look at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx

There are also free tools to do a disk clean for files also.

http://www.handyarchive.com/free/disk-cleanup/

Note: But the tools where not personally tested.

You can use the Disk Cleanup tool that is available with XP which is
available in Start->All Programs->Accesories->system Tools-> Deis Cleanup

Regards

Ravickumar M

"Lana" wrote:

> Hi' Everyone.
> I am new to this group and I have xphome. Would someone kindly advise me if
> there is a free cashe cleaner available. I downloaded one but turns out I
> have to pay for it and it found almost 5000 duplicate files. I have only had
> the computer for a few weeks so don't understand this. I'm not against
> paying for something but I don't like giving my credit card details on the
> internet. I'm worried about all this stuff on my computer.
> Thank you very much,
> Lana.

Please be careful when providing links to supposed "free" tools. Most are
only free downloads and not truly free programs. Take the case of the CM
DiskCleaner it is only free to download. The program actually costs $19.95
american I believe. {]:~)

click start\all programs\accessories\system tools and note the disk cleaner
as well as other useful tools. {]:~)

System Security Suite will do it, note, the system will have to reboot in
order to clean the cache. If you run it when you're ready to shutdown, when
it asks if you wish to reboot now, click cancel and it will run the next
time you boot the system:
http://www.igorshpak.net/

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

In news:Y9%Sc.54830$K53.24264@news-server.bigpond.net.au,
Lana <tinytot@hunterlink.com> typed:

> Hi' Everyone.
> I am new to this group and I have xphome. Would someone kindly
> advise
> me if there is a free cashe cleaner available. I downloaded one
> but
> turns out I have to pay for it and it found almost 5000
> duplicate
> files. I have only had the computer for a few weeks so don't
> understand this.

Please clarify what cache you want to clean and why. Therre are
built-in tools in WIndows that should do whatever you need done.

> I'm not against paying for something but I don't
> like giving my credit card details on the internet.

Although you're not the only person who feels that way, I really
don't understand it. Sure, there are risks associated with using
your credit card on the internet, but there risks associated with
using your credit card anywhere. Why is it that people are not
not afraid to give their credit card to a teen-aged waiter
they've never seen before in a restaurant, who then walks away
with it into another room, but they are afraid to give it to a
reputable company like amazon.com? I'm not sure that the former
isn't a bigger risk than the latter.

If you deal with reputable companies, and don't, for example,
give your credit card info to some company you've never heard of
before in a foreign country, and who promises to send you the
Full version of XP Professional for $50, using your card on the
internet is probably at least as safe as any other way to use it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Thank you for the answers. The reason I wanted to download a cashe cleaner
is because I had a pop up stopper installed that showed I had all those
duplicate files. I am new to computers and started to panic about that.
However, I have managed to find out how to delete them.
I never give my credit card to a teenager that will walk away with it into
another room. I know there are dangers with credit cards no matter how
careful one is when one uses their credit card. However, because I'm not
used to the internet I am worried about the security as I have been told by
others to be very careful. I'm sure there are sites like the one you
mention that are safe. I imagine in time when I know more I won't be so
nervous.
Thanks for your help,
Lana.