"path to folder too long" message NT4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is a new user's account created but... Shortly after logging on, this
user gets the message in the window titled "Desktop" containing the info:
"path to folder is too long" (or similar, for I use Polish version of NT).
After that the screen shows only the system backround and nothing goes
further. So I had to press ctrl-alt-del to log on as the administrator - and
everything is ok.
Moreover, I noticed that afer such unsuccesful logon, in the folder
"Profiles" a new folder "All_User" is created right in the same folder,
under "All Users", which is normally contained in 'windir' path.

Where is the problem?
Any hints appreciated.

Jerzy

Does the new user have read permission on the local root system
partition and system directory?

John

John John (audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca) pisze:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Does the new user have read permission on the local root system
> partition and system directory?
>
> John

I checked the rights, changed them and restored back. And what I have
now: a box message "The system could not load the user's profile.
Contact the Administrator." Below is the countdown timer of 30 seconds
to logon.
I am new to WinNT, now fairly confused.

--
Jerzy

CAUSE
The %SystemRoot% folder, and possibly its subfolders, has had READ
permission for the Everyone group removed. If the permission has been
removed from the %SystemRoot% folder only, you will get the blank screen
symptom. If the subfolders do not have the READ permission, you receive
the "Cannot load profile" error message.

This error may also occur if "Read" permission has been removed for the
root of the system partition.
RESOLUTION
Restore "Read" permissions for the Everyone group to the Windows_folder
folder and all its subfolders.

Blank Screen or Operating System Cannot Load Profile at Logon
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B162031

Guide to MS Windows NT 4.0 Profiles and Policies
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/maintain/prof_pol.mspx

John

John John (audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca) wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> CAUSE
> The %SystemRoot% folder, and possibly its subfolders, has had READ
> permission for the Everyone group removed. If the permission has been
> removed from the %SystemRoot% folder only, you will get the blank screen
> symptom. If the subfolders do not have the READ permission, you receive
> the "Cannot load profile" error message.
>
> This error may also occur if "Read" permission has been removed for the
> root of the system partition.
> RESOLUTION
> Restore "Read" permissions for the Everyone group to the Windows_folder
> folder and all its subfolders.
>
> Blank Screen or Operating System Cannot Load Profile at Logon
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B162031
>
> Guide to MS Windows NT 4.0 Profiles and Policies
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/maintain/prof_pol.mspx
>
> John

Thanks a lot again.
Jerzy