Optimum RAM for NT4

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 3, 2005 8:10:10 PM

Hello,

We are in the process of implementing Active Directory to our network but
still have around 100 NT4 sp6a machines. I know that Active Directory will
have little effect on the NT boxes but what I want to know is are they going
to slow down during log on?

Would there be and advantage to upgrading the RAM in these NT boxes .Also
what is the optimum amount of RAM that NT4 can utilise or can it use all I
cam throw at it

Cheers

Hurel

More about : optimum ram nt4

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:10:11 PM

KinRsole wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are in the process of implementing Active Directory to our network but
> still have around 100 NT4 sp6a machines. I know that Active Directory will
> have little effect on the NT boxes but what I want to know is are they going
> to slow down during log on?
>
> Would there be and advantage to upgrading the RAM in these NT boxes .

You don't even say whether they are servers or clients.

It depends entirely on what you use them for and what
the current performance bottleneck is for those systems.

For example, assuming they are older systems (they are still
running NT4, after all), if they have 512 MB of RAM but a
sub-GHz processor, then in most circumstances a processor
upgrade will help more than a RAM upgrade. Older hard drives
are also a common bottleneck - replacing them - with new drives
can make a huge difference for disk-intensive applications.

But by and large at this late date it is time to forget about
upgrading any system that old and think about simply replacing
them. ;-)

> Also what is the optimum amount of RAM that NT4 can utilise

Again, it depends on what you use them for.

> or can it use all I
> cam throw at it

That depends on what version of NT4 you are talking about.
NT4-WS, for example, can use up to 4 GB while the base Server
version can use up to 8 GB, and the Enterprise versions can
use up to 32 GB.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:13:30 PM

The 100 machines in question are clients used to run An AS400
emulator,Office 97 & Lotus notes.
Processors range from 400mhz up to 1.2ghz.
All these are likely to be replace over the next 18 months but I wondered if
it was worth upgrading the RAM in the short term but wondered what amount
would be best

cheers
"Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:o NxTB%23b8EHA.808@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> KinRsole wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are in the process of implementing Active Directory to our network but
>> still have around 100 NT4 sp6a machines. I know that Active Directory
>> will have little effect on the NT boxes but what I want to know is are
>> they going to slow down during log on?
>>
>> Would there be and advantage to upgrading the RAM in these NT boxes .
>
> You don't even say whether they are servers or clients.
>
> It depends entirely on what you use them for and what
> the current performance bottleneck is for those systems.
>
> For example, assuming they are older systems (they are still
> running NT4, after all), if they have 512 MB of RAM but a
> sub-GHz processor, then in most circumstances a processor
> upgrade will help more than a RAM upgrade. Older hard drives
> are also a common bottleneck - replacing them - with new drives
> can make a huge difference for disk-intensive applications.
>
> But by and large at this late date it is time to forget about
> upgrading any system that old and think about simply replacing
> them. ;-)
>
> > Also what is the optimum amount of RAM that NT4 can utilise
>
> Again, it depends on what you use them for.
>
>> or can it use all I cam throw at it
>
> That depends on what version of NT4 you are talking about.
> NT4-WS, for example, can use up to 4 GB while the base Server
> version can use up to 8 GB, and the Enterprise versions can
> use up to 32 GB.

January 3, 2005 10:13:31 PM

"KinRsole" wrote:
> The 100 machines in question are clients used to run An AS400
> emulator,Office 97 & Lotus notes.

I bet your NT domain with these applications was very stable. Just curious,
what is driving your upgrade?
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:24:34 PM

KinRsole wrote:
> The 100 machines in question are clients used to run An AS400
> emulator,Office 97 & Lotus notes.
> Processors range from 400mhz up to 1.2ghz.
> All these are likely to be replace over the next 18 months but I wondered if
> it was worth upgrading the RAM in the short term but wondered what amount
> would be best

If they already have 256 MB or more I'd just leave them alone.
More than 256 MB won't help much with the things your users are
doing.

> cheers
> "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:o NxTB%23b8EHA.808@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
>>KinRsole wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>We are in the process of implementing Active Directory to our network but
>>>still have around 100 NT4 sp6a machines. I know that Active Directory
>>>will have little effect on the NT boxes but what I want to know is are
>>>they going to slow down during log on?
>>>
>>>Would there be and advantage to upgrading the RAM in these NT boxes .
>>
>>You don't even say whether they are servers or clients.
>>
>>It depends entirely on what you use them for and what
>>the current performance bottleneck is for those systems.
>>
>>For example, assuming they are older systems (they are still
>>running NT4, after all), if they have 512 MB of RAM but a
>>sub-GHz processor, then in most circumstances a processor
>>upgrade will help more than a RAM upgrade. Older hard drives
>>are also a common bottleneck - replacing them - with new drives
>>can make a huge difference for disk-intensive applications.
>>
>>But by and large at this late date it is time to forget about
>>upgrading any system that old and think about simply replacing
>>them. ;-)
>>

>>>Also what is the optimum amount of RAM that NT4 can utilise
>>
>>Again, it depends on what you use them for.
>>

>>>or can it use all I cam throw at it
>>
>>That depends on what version of NT4 you are talking about.
>>NT4-WS, for example, can use up to 4 GB while the base Server
>>version can use up to 8 GB, and the Enterprise versions can
>>use up to 32 GB.

January 4, 2005 4:41:30 PM

KinRsole wrote:
> The 100 machines in question are clients used to run An AS400
> emulator,Office 97 & Lotus notes.
> Processors range from 400mhz up to 1.2ghz.
> All these are likely to be replace over the next 18 months but I wondered if
> it was worth upgrading the RAM in the short term but wondered what amount
> would be best
>
> cheers

Task manager allows you to see if you have enough memory for the
applications you are using. Go to the performance tab and if the
total commit charge is usually less than your total physical memory
you don't need more RAM.

I have NT4 workstation and most of the time my total commit charge
is under 100,000K. My computer has one 256Mb RAM module but most of
the time 128Mb would be sufficient.

I only hit problems in one situation. My system uses over 650Mbytes (so
pages excessively) when my CD burner software prints CD inlay cards and
CD labels. I don't know if the problem is with the CD burner software
(WinOnCD 3.7) or the printer driver (Epson stylus color 880).
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:15:59 PM

We are upgrading due to moving over to a windows 2003 domain & Active
Directory.I am just asking to see if upgrading the RAM is going to help
any.I'm know NT4 users will not see any benefits form AD but I'm worried
that because there are members of an AD domain it may have some negative
effects on them.most machine are due to be replaced in the next 12 months.
To be honest there's quite a few machine that only have 128mb so a bit more
RAM should help.

!