Video Cards - ATI v. NVidia

I am just about to buy a new PC for FS9.1 : the CPU will be an AMD 64 FX55,
but I am in a quandary over the graphics........

I was all set to plump for the Radeon X850XT, but it now turns out that my
supplier will charge £120 (sterling) less for an NVidia GeForce 6800GT than
for the ATI card. I am willing to pay the extra for the Radeon, but it seems
to me, after some time scouring the web for reviews, that performance in
FS9.1 is just as good with the 6800GT (Ultra not an option, by the way, for
whatever reason) as with the X850 - in fact better at 1280x1024.

What do people think? Go with the NVidia and save £120 - about 200 USD - or
get the X850XT (not PE) anyway?

Thanks.

Martin
16 answers Last reply
More about video cards nvidia

    Er, I come out as Eileen 'cos I'm on my Mum's PC at the moment - I've not
    had a 'makeover' since my last post!!!

    Martin S.

    > Er, I come out as Eileen 'cos I'm on my Mum's PC at the moment - I've not
    > had a 'makeover' since my last post!!!

    Don't think she'll be best pleased when she starts getting all the spam
    because her email address isn't masked in your setup..

    But to answer your question, I had a similar dilemna about 2 years back - in
    the end I went for the more expensive card (an ATI Radeon 9700 at the time)
    simply because your brain tells you that the more it costs, the better it
    must be ;)

    I don't think I was proved wrong - I still have it to this day.

    It's a bit like branded and non-branded Ibuprofen - I buy the Nurofen at 4
    times the cost of the shop brand - because a headache that doesn't shift on
    the cheap brand would only get me blaming it for being cheaper - even if
    they are identical!

    D (always an ATI fan).

    "David Wright" <REMOVETHISBITenquiries@ukmc.co.ukANDTHISBIT> wrote in
    message news:422f5a14$0$10945$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
    >> Er, I come out as Eileen 'cos I'm on my Mum's PC at the moment - I've not
    >> had a 'makeover' since my last post!!!
    >
    > Don't think she'll be best pleased when she starts getting all the spam
    > because her email address isn't masked in your setup..
    >
    > But to answer your question, I had a similar dilemna about 2 years back -
    > in the end I went for the more expensive card (an ATI Radeon 9700 at the
    > time) simply because your brain tells you that the more it costs, the
    > better it must be ;)
    >
    > I don't think I was proved wrong - I still have it to this day.
    >
    > It's a bit like branded and non-branded Ibuprofen - I buy the Nurofen at 4
    > times the cost of the shop brand - because a headache that doesn't shift
    > on the cheap brand would only get me blaming it for being cheaper - even
    > if they are identical!
    >
    > D (always an ATI fan).
    Not sure about the Nurofen analogy...! If there is one thing about rip-off
    UK (discussed in a previous post) then the price of Ibuprofen over here
    illustrates it perfectly.
    To answer your question Eileen :) £120 is a big difference and you seem to
    have done some exhaustive research; could you spend it on something else;
    extra ram or a second monitor or even put it in the kitty ready for another
    card next year!

    Chris

    Lawn Dart wrote:

    Hey Melissa,

    I have been building my own systems for about 8 years now, once you've done
    it it's the only way to go.. I just ain't happy unless I am tinkering with
    something on the inside:).

    I just finished, about 2 weeks ago, upgrading to an Athlon XP64 3500
    winchester core, Socket 939 Nforce3 MB - MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, and Lian Li
    aluminum case.
    I coudln't be more pleased, plus it really wasn't that bad dollar wise. I am
    still running my Radeon 9800 Pro, and know it is now somewhat of a
    bottleneck in this system, but when the prices of the next generation cards
    start coming down I will upgrade that as well.
    I have just got this system tweaked like I like it, overclocked to 235 mhz
    fsb, and running stable.

    Now, I am a newbie to FS9, I have just purchased it and installed it
    yesterday, hope to get to spend some time with it this weekend to see how
    this machine runs it.

    Anyway, if I can help in any way answer any questions, feel free to email -
    I stay pretty busy and don't always have time to read all my newsgroups..

    Just remove " clothes" when replying to my email return addy..

    Yes, there are new things on the horizon, like PCIe, Nforce4 mb, etc..
    I elected to go with Nforce3 as it still was your basic agp/pci slot mb, yet
    supports socket 939 which is the way to go now, and has future support for
    even the FX chips.
    I prefer to wait for the dust to settle on PCIe, etc before making that
    jump. But with the way I like to upgrade, It wouldn't bother me to change
    motherboards in the next year.

    I would recommend to most anyone that is wanting an upgrade today, that is
    proven, good bang for the buck, without breaking the bank - seriously look
    at the Athlon 64 chip - winchester core ( socket 939), and an Nforce3
    motherboard. They are tried and proven, and still pretty cutting edge
    technology...

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:46:29 -0000, you wrote:
    >
    >> ...extra ram or a second monitor or even put it in the kitty ready
    >> for another card next year!
    >
    > Are you thinking about the potential requirements of fs10? :-)
    >
    > Last night, I wrote to the guy who originally built this computer for
    > me, and here's an interesting excerpt from what he wrote in reply (he
    > recommended waiting before considering a motherboard upgrade just
    > now):
    >
    >>> There are big things in the works, right now, as far as hardware. I
    >>> would wait to see what will be out at the end of the year. I just
    >>> took my quarterly Intel Product Dealer test. The propaganda that
    >>> came with it is pretty impressive. Big chipset changes. Mainboard
    >>> imbedded wireless and security. Increased bus speed.
    >
    > He promised that later tonight when he has more time, he'll explain in
    > more detail.
    >
    > - --
    > Melissa

    Hi Melissa

    The eternal dilemma; to upgrade or not!!!
    Only one thing is ever certain; whatever and whenever you buy, there will be
    something better and/or cheaper just around the corner!

    Chris

    Go with the Nvidia. I find them to be better cards in the long run less
    problems (especially with msn making walls become invisible) plus better
    drivers.

    And nurofen is just stupid. Costs more and you can get the same thing for
    cheaper from shop own like tesco etc. There drugs, how can it work any
    slower or quicker unless you change the mg of ibropufen.

    --
    www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
    www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
    "Eileen Stebbing" <eikip@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >I am just about to buy a new PC for FS9.1 : the CPU will be an AMD 64
    >FX55,
    > but I am in a quandary over the graphics........
    >
    > I was all set to plump for the Radeon X850XT, but it now turns out that my
    > supplier will charge £120 (sterling) less for an NVidia GeForce 6800GT
    > than
    > for the ATI card. I am willing to pay the extra for the Radeon, but it
    > seems
    > to me, after some time scouring the web for reviews, that performance in
    > FS9.1 is just as good with the 6800GT (Ultra not an option, by the way,
    > for
    > whatever reason) as with the X850 - in fact better at 1280x1024.
    >
    > What do people think? Go with the NVidia and save £120 - about 200 USD -
    > or
    > get the X850XT (not PE) anyway?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Martin

    Hi Dart,

    That should make landings a piece of cake, then! :-))

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    Yes, thought about my Mum's e-mail after I posted. Hopefully fewer potential
    spammers will see this than if I'd been posting to a porn group (?). I don't
    use Outlook Express for newsgroups so am less familiar with how to hide the
    e-mail address - I think I amy have suceeded with this reply....

    I think waiting for new hardware is not an option: firstly I have no
    patience and secondly, it's well known that the longer you wait the more
    enticing the goodies just out of reach round the corner. So, interesting
    posts so far - but nothing really that helps me decide between the two cards
    yet! I think that it may be swings and roundabouts - forums I've found
    through Google which have posts on this subject mainly consist of slanging
    matches between ATI and NVidia devotess!

    The £120 is not really the point, 'cos if I really thought that the ATI
    card was better I'd want to spend that money to make sure I had the best - I
    don't intend to upgrade this PC for some time to come. (Famous last words!).
    Maybe I could spend the difference, if I go for the NVidia, on Ibuprofen
    tablets??

    M.

    By the way - this sort of inclines me towards saving the £120 and going with
    the NVidia:

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041123/sli-performance-21.html

    M.

    Perhaps I missed something there but it looked like the ATI beat the nVidea hands down except for 1024x768?

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Eileen Stebbing" <es@bt.com> wrote in message news:d0o0dk$ib8$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
    > By the way - this sort of inclines me towards saving the #120 and going with
    > the NVidia:
    >
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041123/sli-performance-21.html
    >
    > M.

    If you have an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard with your amd64-fx55 , you should go
    with E6800GT because you will have the jumper connector to bootstrap 2 sli
    video cards.

    The ATI X800XT is a very good card but it's not SLI reday and the ATI
    software driver can not run both PCI express 16X slot . I was able to run
    just #1 card.

    jean

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:19:17 -0000, Chris Curtis wrote:
    > Only one thing is ever certain; whatever and whenever you buy, there will be
    > something better and/or cheaper just around the corner!

    Not even that long! They are taking delivery on the "newest stuff" just as
    you've checked out and are the way to your car... ;)

    Bill

    Hi carl,

    I've just changed my mind, and decided to go with an ATI X800 - boy,
    things are being released much more frequently than a few years ago!!

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Perhaps I missed something there but it looked like the ATI beat the
    nVidea hands down except for 1024x768?

    > --
    > ...Carl Frisk
    > Anger is a brief madness.
    > - Horace, 20 B.C.
    > http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >

    > "Eileen Stebbing" <es@bt.com> wrote in message
    > > By the way - this sort of inclines me towards saving the #120 and going
    with
    > > the NVidia:

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041123/sli-performance-21.html

    > > M.

    I think Bill L. is using an ATI X800. You may want to ask him how he likes it.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:42323a42$0$5597$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > Hi carl,
    >
    > I've just changed my mind, and decided to go with an ATI X800 - boy,
    > things are being released much more frequently than a few years ago!!
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Ward
    > "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps I missed something there but it looked like the ATI beat the
    > nVidea hands down except for 1024x768?
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...Carl Frisk
    >> Anger is a brief madness.
    >> - Horace, 20 B.C.
    >> http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >>

    >> "Eileen Stebbing" <es@bt.com> wrote in message
    >> > By the way - this sort of inclines me towards saving the #120 and going
    > with
    >> > the NVidia:
    >> >

    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041123/sli-performance-21.html
    >> >
    >> > M.