I refilled my Canon 560...

At first all was well, printouts were ok.

Yesterday I tried to print a photograph, and the color was rather dark. I
ivvestigated, and it seem that the magenta is coming out very dark.

Here's a scan of a printout...
http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/pictures/colortest.jpg

top left is the magenta, right cyan, below that the yellow. The next line is red
green blue

The red is more like brown.

What could be wrong?
I'm 100% sure the ink is in the correct tanks, the cyan and yellow are ok. Could
it be bad ink?

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

T_S

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2004

It's hard to see in the cartridge, but you have cyan ink
in the magenta cartridge. It is probably just a minor
cross contamination at the exit port.

--
WeInk.com Technical Support
Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:26:45 GMT, "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote:

>It's hard to see in the cartridge, but you have cyan ink
>in the magenta cartridge. It is probably just a minor
>cross contamination at the exit port.

So, do you think it will clear itself? Or should I remove and thoroughly clean
the head?

Maybe the cartridge dripped as I was replacing it, that might account for it.

I also noticed that the rubber bung used to reseal the cart after refilling
wasn't seated properly, that might have affected it somehow.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard wrote:
> At first all was well, printouts were ok.
>
> Yesterday I tried to print a photograph, and the color was rather
> dark. I ivvestigated, and it seem that the magenta is coming out very
> dark.
>
> Here's a scan of a printout...
> http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/pictures/colortest.jpg
>
> top left is the magenta, right cyan, below that the yellow. The next
> line is red green blue
>
> The red is more like brown.
>
> What could be wrong?
> I'm 100% sure the ink is in the correct tanks, the cyan and yellow
> are ok. Could it be bad ink?

I have similar case on ym i550... when printer sits a day or two, first
print comes out pretty much blue (all colors are blueish, so it clearly
shows that there's blue in all nozzles), then if i continue, red comes and
finally yellow. Then printing is OK, but only until next day. Then procedure
is repeated. It helps if i start cleaning a few times or deep cleaning once.
I had it at service, they cleaned it but same happens. They said that head
is probably damaged because of refill ink, which is not quite same as
original. I refilled about year and a half. So, i think that refilling is
not as harmless as some claim...
For me...never again. The amount i saved in a 1.5 year, i will spend now for
a new head or printer...

SleeperMan wrote:
> Christopher Pollard wrote:
>> At first all was well, printouts were ok.
>>
>> Yesterday I tried to print a photograph, and the color was rather
>> dark. I ivvestigated, and it seem that the magenta is coming out very
>> dark.
>>
>> Here's a scan of a printout...
>> http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/pictures/colortest.jpg
>>
>> top left is the magenta, right cyan, below that the yellow. The next
>> line is red green blue
>>
>> The red is more like brown.
>>
>> What could be wrong?
>> I'm 100% sure the ink is in the correct tanks, the cyan and yellow
>> are ok. Could it be bad ink?
>
> I have similar case on ym i550... when printer sits a day or two,
> first print comes out pretty much blue (all colors are blueish, so it
> clearly shows that there's blue in all nozzles), then if i continue,
> red comes and finally yellow. Then printing is OK, but only until
> next day. Then procedure is repeated. It helps if i start cleaning a
> few times or deep cleaning once. I had it at service, they cleaned it
> but same happens. They said that head is probably damaged because of
> refill ink, which is not quite same as original. I refilled about
> year and a half. So, i think that refilling is not as harmless as
> some claim... For me...never again. The amount i saved in a 1.5 year, i
> will spend
> now for a new head or printer...

Forgot to tell...first this happened only with magenta color, then i bought
original magenta, same results, then it began with yellow, too. Then i took
it to service to clean...just wasted my money for it...

It sounds to me like there is something other than refill ink which would be
causing your problem. The cross contamination of the ink is occurring after
the ink has come from the cartridge. It wouldn't matter if OEM, third party
or refilled cartridges installed.
--
Ron Cohen

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Christopher Pollard wrote:
> > At first all was well, printouts were ok.
> >
> > Yesterday I tried to print a photograph, and the color was rather
> > dark. I ivvestigated, and it seem that the magenta is coming out very
> > dark.
> >
> > Here's a scan of a printout...
> > http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/pictures/colortest.jpg
> >
> > top left is the magenta, right cyan, below that the yellow. The next
> > line is red green blue
> >
> > The red is more like brown.
> >
> > What could be wrong?
> > I'm 100% sure the ink is in the correct tanks, the cyan and yellow
> > are ok. Could it be bad ink?
>
> I have similar case on ym i550... when printer sits a day or two, first
> print comes out pretty much blue (all colors are blueish, so it clearly
> shows that there's blue in all nozzles), then if i continue, red comes and
> finally yellow. Then printing is OK, but only until next day. Then
procedure
> is repeated. It helps if i start cleaning a few times or deep cleaning
once.
> I had it at service, they cleaned it but same happens. They said that head
> is probably damaged because of refill ink, which is not quite same as
> original. I refilled about year and a half. So, i think that refilling is
> not as harmless as some claim...
> For me...never again. The amount i saved in a 1.5 year, i will spend now
for
> a new head or printer...

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

T_S

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2004

The most common cause:

The pad on the service station became oversaturated
with ink and the Magenta nozzles re-absorbed the ink waste, contaminating
the exit port of the cartridge. It
will probably clear out if you print about 10 or 20 pages
of solid Magenta.

--

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:04:24 GMT, "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote:

>The most common cause:
>
>The pad on the service station became oversaturated
>with ink and the Magenta nozzles re-absorbed the ink waste, contaminating
>the exit port of the cartridge. It
>will probably clear out if you print about 10 or 20 pages
>of solid Magenta.

That seems to have helped. I printed 5 pages and there was a distinct difference
between the first and the second. Even betseen one end and the other of the
first page.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:04:24 GMT, "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote:
>
>> The most common cause:
>>
>> The pad on the service station became oversaturated
>> with ink and the Magenta nozzles re-absorbed the ink waste,
>> contaminating the exit port of the cartridge. It
>> will probably clear out if you print about 10 or 20 pages
>> of solid Magenta.
>
> That seems to have helped. I printed 5 pages and there was a distinct
> difference between the first and the second. Even betseen one end and
> the other of the first page.

You have to wait a day or two to see if it's really ok. Like i said, it
prints ok until it stands still for a day or two...

What you are saying supports the comment about the oversaturated pad. The
head would be absorbing waste ink.
--

Ron Cohen wrote:
> What you are saying supports the comment about the oversaturated pad.
> The head would be absorbing waste ink.

I thought of that, too. That's why i took my i550 to a service and they
cleaned it up, but i just wasted the money of two carts...
printer behaves the same. A serviceman said that it's definitely head
gone...like that barriers between colors are rusted or similar.
So, when printing, when ink flows, all is ok until i stop...

That makes sense. As I recall, you are either getting or already have an
iP4000. All I can say to that is congratulations. My new iP4000 is a
delight. I couldn't be happier with it.
--

Ron Cohen wrote:
> That makes sense. As I recall, you are either getting or already have
> an iP4000. All I can say to that is congratulations. My new iP4000 is
> a delight. I couldn't be happier with it.

Yep. coming tomorrow...hardly waiting... i was happy with mine i550, even it
is failed me after this time...but while it was working, it was just fine...
I already bought some printable CDR's for testing purposes... and i can't
wait to see if it's really a difference in glossy photo prints.

BTW...i hope i am right about bci3e NOT going into ip4000 printer? Right?
(different ink type?) Damn...

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Ron Cohen wrote:
>>> What you are saying supports the comment about the oversaturated
>>> pad. The head would be absorbing waste ink.
>>>
>> I thought of that, too. That's why i took my i550 to a service and
>> they cleaned it up, but i just wasted the money of two carts...
>> printer behaves the same. A serviceman said that it's definitely head
>> gone...like that barriers between colors are rusted or similar.
>> So, when printing, when ink flows, all is ok until i stop...
>>

> ---
> AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

I was hoping the iP4000 would give results close to what I was getting with
my s820 and i950. Since getting the printer last week I've done a lot of
photo printing with it and the results far exceed my expectations. If I had
to pick one of the three without any consideration other than which one does
the best job, I'd go with the iP4000. One other thing to note is that on
both the s820 and i950 (more so on the i950) I had a problem with a magenta
tint to a lot of my prints. That problem went away with the iP4000. Colors
are right on target. I also did some testing of my refill inks -
Sensient-Formulabs from www.alotofthings.com . I printed quite a few sheets
of scanned photos (studio shots of my grand daughter - can anyone say
copyright violation???) on the new printer using the OEM Canon tanks that
came with the printer. I then pulled the refilled tanks I use in the i950
and put them in the iP4000. I printed a lot of primer pages to purge the
print head of any residual OEM ink and then printed the same photos with the
refilled ink. The only way to tell which ink was used came from the
notations I made in the unprinted area of the sheet. The prints were
identical.
--

Ron Cohen wrote:
> I was hoping the iP4000 would give results close to what I was
> getting with my s820 and i950. Since getting the printer last week
> I've done a lot of photo printing with it and the results far exceed
> my expectations. If I had to pick one of the three without any
> consideration other than which one does the best job, I'd go with the
> iP4000. One other thing to note is that on both the s820 and i950
> (more so on the i950) I had a problem with a magenta tint to a lot of
> my prints. That problem went away with the iP4000. Colors are right
> on target. I also did some testing of my refill inks -
> Sensient-Formulabs from www.alotofthings.com . I printed quite a few
> sheets of scanned photos (studio shots of my grand daughter - can
> anyone say copyright violation???) on the new printer using the OEM
> Canon tanks that came with the printer. I then pulled the refilled
> tanks I use in the i950 and put them in the iP4000. I printed a lot
> of primer pages to purge the print head of any residual OEM ink and
> then printed the same photos with the refilled ink. The only way to
> tell which ink was used came from the notations I made in the
> unprinted area of the sheet. The prints were identical.

I'll ask you, too...if you know...
Bill (from other thread) said that bci3 and bci6 colors are identical - can
you confirm this? If this is true, i can use my full bci3 carts in ip4000,
otherwise i trhow away all this money...
I did put bci3e black in, since it's the same, but for now i put bci6 color
ones in.

And - quality and all - like you said---just great!

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Ron Cohen wrote:
>>> That makes sense. As I recall, you are either getting or already
>>> have an iP4000. All I can say to that is congratulations. My new
>>> iP4000 is a delight. I couldn't be happier with it.
>>
>> Yep. coming tomorrow...hardly waiting... i was happy with mine i550,
>> even it is failed me after this time...but while it was working, it
>> was just fine... I already bought some printable CDR's for testing
>> purposes... and i can't wait to see if it's really a difference in
>> glossy photo prints.
>>
>> BTW...i hope i am right about bci3e NOT going into ip4000 printer?
>> Right? (different ink type?) Damn...
>>

>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>> ---
>>> AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>

> ---
> AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

It won't hurt the printer to use a BCI-3. I suspect you won't see much of a
difference, if any, in the colors but even if the color aren't acceptable
you haven't messed up anything. When you do switch back to the specified
cartridges it will only take a page or two of printing to purge the BCI-3
ink from the head.
--

Ron Cohen wrote:
> It won't hurt the printer to use a BCI-3. I suspect you won't see
> much of a difference, if any, in the colors but even if the color
> aren't acceptable you haven't messed up anything. When you do switch
> back to the specified cartridges it will only take a page or two of
> printing to purge the BCI-3 ink from the head.

Thanks. It's just pitty i didn't ask this before i got it...so i wouldn't
open new carts...
But, then again, i guess i would ,since curiosity of the difference would be
too big...

In any case, i'll just pop those orange caps on, seal them with tape and
....voila!