New Mobo = New Integrated Audio = Need to buy a standalone?

Niroth01

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Hey All-

I've got what I think (although audiophiles will wince I am sure) is a nice 2.1 speaker set in my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. My current mobo is an old nForce 2 with the SoundStorm audio which has treated me great for the past couple of years. I am getting a new mobo so I can upgrade my CPU and alas SoundStorm is leaving me. The new mobo has "Realtek 850 7.1 channel AC'97 audio codec" listed as the on board audio. I've heard a few people say it isn't bad, but was curious as to how it would compare to my old SoundStorm and or a low end stand alone card, I don't have much cash to be spending on a seperate audio card unless really necessary so it wouldn't be anything fancy, i would just hate to have some good quality speakers trashed by crummy audio output (I won't be doing any recording/input).

Thanks!

Niroth01

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Yeah well music and games/dvds but i got rid of my old 5.1 because im a graduate student and my little apt. room is to much of a pain in the ass to wire speakers all over the place :) Thanks for the info!

FACEBASH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
If your not concerned at all about performance. then i would agree. your onboard sound should do well for 2.1or 5.1 support.. depending on teh speakers you use..

However.. The majority of onboard solutions make the sound.. one way ..

Using a codec.. and threading procces right off the cpu .. This is a major hinderance in any game ive ever played.. so i would reccomend at elast an entrance level accelerator.. like an audigy or the like..
As far as music is concerned.. you need nothing at all . far as i can tell .. except for more volume !!!!