Windows NT 4.0 Boot Failure with new CD ROM drive

I have an NCR computer (about 5 yrs old) which I'm fixing for my niece as she
cannot afford one. The operating system is NT Workstation 4.0.

There was no CD-ROM so i bought one and installed it - well sort of. The OS
doesnt find it and seems to need a driver. It is a Liteon 52x CD-Rom. I found
a driver but when i copied the file (cdrom.sys) over and rebooted the system
gave me the following message;

STOP. c0000263 (Driver Entry Point Not Found) The
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cdrom.sys device driver could not loate the
entry point IoRegisterDeviceInterface in driver ntoskrnl.exe
Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or the
/crashdebug system start option.

I do not have the original NT disks, so I tried to start it using a Win98
boot disk, but that failed too. (The computer was used as a POS terminal for
a franchise chain and I have a suspicion that the BIOS was changed so as it
could not be started from a floppy drive to prevent employees circumventing
the POS system).

Obviously the file i copied across was incorrect. The original is there
renamed "old" but i cant get the computer started to fix it.

So I am unable to get the computer started at all. Can anyone help ?

> I have an NCR computer (about 5 yrs old) which I'm fixing for my niece as she
> cannot afford one. The operating system is NT Workstation 4.0.
>
> There was no CD-ROM so i bought one and installed it - well sort of. The OS
> doesnt find it and seems to need a driver. It is a Liteon 52x CD-Rom. I found
> a driver but when i copied the file (cdrom.sys) over and rebooted the system
> gave me the following message;
>
> STOP. c0000263 (Driver Entry Point Not Found) The
> \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cdrom.sys device driver could not loate the
> entry point IoRegisterDeviceInterface in driver ntoskrnl.exe
> Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or the
> /crashdebug system start option.

Check the back of the CD-ROM drive to make sure the jumpers are set
correctly. If it is hooked to the same drive controller as the hard
drive, it must be set to "slave". Windows (both NT4 and Win9x) do not
need or use real-mode drivers for IDE devices such as hard drives and
CD-Roms, the drive controller handles these. The "Cdrom.sys" file you
copied is a real-mode DOS driver to access it in DOS.