No shared files after ghosted clone copy (NT 4.0 SP6a)

I recently needed to Ghost (v6.0) a clone copy of an NT Server 4.0
SP6a from an incorrectly partitioned 80gB drive (16gB & 64gB) to a
correctly partitioned drive at 8gB and 72gB

First move was to partition the new drive with FDisk, making the first
partition active. Simple enough. Then used "Partition to Partion"
ghosting to take the current drive to the backup clone.

Resultant drive looked fine. Worked fine too, except that MSDTC
service would not start. The Event Viewer reported that it could not
find the correct path.? With the MSDTC not loaded there are no
network shares and general mayhem follows. So the backup exercise is
now aborted.

Is this an error caused by the fact that the primary (first) partition
of the source drive is at 16gB. Or is something else the more likely
cause.

I guess we must have done several hundred partition to partition
clonings over the years and I've never seen this one before - in
fact errors are very rare.! So I do suspect something to do with the
partition size could be causing the problem.....

Any suggestions please

.les.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Les Juby lesjuby@anti-spam.iafrica.com
Webpro Internet - - - Prosoft Microsystems
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
P.O.Box 35243, Northway 4065, South Africa
Tel: +27 31 563-8344 Fax: +27 31 564-4928
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
(you *do* know to take "anti-spam" out the address....?

Check that 'ImagePath' is type Reg_Expand_Sz and that it points to the
correct location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSDTC

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Les Juby" wrote:
|I recently needed to Ghost (v6.0) a clone copy of an NT Server 4.0
| SP6a from an incorrectly partitioned 80gB drive (16gB & 64gB) to a
| correctly partitioned drive at 8gB and 72gB
|
| First move was to partition the new drive with FDisk, making the first
| partition active. Simple enough. Then used "Partition to Partion"
| ghosting to take the current drive to the backup clone.
|
| Resultant drive looked fine. Worked fine too, except that MSDTC
| service would not start. The Event Viewer reported that it could not
| find the correct path.? With the MSDTC not loaded there are no
| network shares and general mayhem follows. So the backup exercise is
| now aborted.
|
| Is this an error caused by the fact that the primary (first) partition
| of the source drive is at 16gB. Or is something else the more likely
| cause.
|
| I guess we must have done several hundred partition to partition
| clonings over the years and I've never seen this one before - in
| fact errors are very rare.! So I do suspect something to do with the
| partition size could be causing the problem.....
|
| Any suggestions please
|
| .les.
|

| o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
| Les Juby lesjuby@anti-spam.iafrica.com
| Webpro Internet - - - Prosoft Microsystems
| Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
| P.O.Box 35243, Northway 4065, South Africa
| Tel: +27 31 563-8344 Fax: +27 31 564-4928
| o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
| (you *do* know to take "anti-spam" out the address....?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:36:47 -0700, "Dave Patrick"
<mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

>Check that 'ImagePath' is type Reg_Expand_Sz and that it points to the
>correct location
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSDTC

Spot on.! Thanks for that.!

For some reason the drives had been assigned as G: (part.1) and H:
(part.2) so the pointing to c:\ for that key in the registry was all
haywire.

Reassigned drives and all OK.

Thanks again.!

.les.