INSTALL XP PRO TWICE........

I have read that if you install xp twice that it can really help your system
by eliminating alot of junk that comes in these programs, it this really the
case? My friends computer is very slow, shuts down alot and we can figure out
what the prolem is. There is lots of space left it is all up to date no
viruses. i think the only option is to install again? Aslo can anyone tell me
what information you would lose if you installed over top of xp already in
your system and if you want to make sure you don't lose music files and
pictures what you can do with them or where to load them to so once your new
system is up and running you can get them all back easy?

Learning how to maintain a computer helps your system best.. try typing the
word 'spyware' into the IE search box.. ensure that all updates have been
executed.. run a firewall.. this is just a start..

"slarnet" <slarnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have read that if you install xp twice that it can really help your
system
> by eliminating alot of junk that comes in these programs, it this really
the
> case? My friends computer is very slow, shuts down alot and we can figure
out
> what the prolem is. There is lots of space left it is all up to date no
> viruses. i think the only option is to install again? Aslo can anyone tell
me
> what information you would lose if you installed over top of xp already in
> your system and if you want to make sure you don't lose music files and
> pictures what you can do with them or where to load them to so once your
new
> system is up and running you can get them all back easy?

Perform regular maintenance. Use disk cleanup. Run Chkdsk. Run defrag. Get
and install spyware\adware removal program. Empty prefetch file about every
month or so if installing\uninstalling a lot of programs. SpeedXP is free and
works amazingly well. Don't use the "clear pagefile on shutdown" option in
there. Get a registry cleaner and use it. Keep all your drivers up to date by
going to the manufacturers sites and getting the latest XP drivers. Everest
Home Edition is an excellent program that will tell you everything you need
to know about your system and even provides links for some drivers. Turn off
the useless system restore and indexing. Turn off any uneeded or unwanted eye
candy like drop down shadows. There's lots more to do to make XP run at peek
performance but that should keep you busy for now. {]:~)

In news:E41EADB2-31D9-45FF-B76E-04D44901B181@microsoft.com,
slarnet <slarnet@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>I have read that if you install xp twice that it can really help
>your
> system by eliminating alot of junk that comes in these
> programs, it
> this really the case? My friends computer is very slow, shuts
> down
> alot and we can figure out what the prolem is. There is lots of
> space
> left it is all up to date no viruses. i think the only option
> is to
> install again?

As far as I'm concerned, that's almost always the wrong answer to
any problem. Please describe his hardware configuration and be
explicit about the problems he has; it's likely that someone here
can steer you in a more productive direction.

Please reply to the newsgroup