Disk problems. Advice needed.

tetranz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc (More info?)

Hi all

I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer
computer support person for a private school where my partner is the
manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running
Windows NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. They have about 7 client machines. The
server has two IDE disks, 5 Gb for C: and D: and 30 Gb for H:

We've started having disk errors on the 30 Gb disk where most of the
data is. When it happens, CHKDSK /F fixes a few problems, usually by
deleting the files which I then restore from backup. It seems to be
getting worse so last weekend I run CHKDSK /R and it marked more blocks
as bad. After that, CHKDSK reported no errors even after restoring
1000's of files. Until today. There are now more logical errors which
I've repaired with CHKDSK /F. I haven't had time to run /R but if I
did, I suspect it would find and mark more bad blocks.

Is this a sure sign of the disk failing? I'm ready to replace the disk.
People are getting frustrated with the problems and although money is
pretty tight, they've said that they will buy a new server if they
really have to just to get a reliable system. $1500 or so would buy a
nice entry level Dell server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
But ... other than these problems, the current server seems to suffice.

My advice right now is install a new disk. I've already bought, but not
opened, a 120 GB Western Digital from Best Buy for $49.95 after rebate.
My nervousness is that I don't want to prolong the agony and find that
we still have problems. Is there is any real possibility that its the
controller or something else? Luckily, Exchange seems to have escaped
damage so far. I assume that because its few big data files are on an
area of the disk that is still good.

These problems started happening mostly after a few power cuts. Until a
week ago, they didn't have a UPS. They do now but the latest corruption
has happened since the UPS was installed.

I've rambled on enough. To me, everything points to the disk
progressively failing.

Is there anything I'm overlooking or should check in order to fix this
asap.

Thanks in advance
Ross

I agree it is probably the disk is failing. You can download a diagnostic
utility from the drive manufacturer's web site to confirm.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"tetranz" wrote:
| Hi all
|
| I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer
| computer support person for a private school where my partner is the
| manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running
| Windows NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. They have about 7 client machines. The
| server has two IDE disks, 5 Gb for C: and D: and 30 Gb for H:
|
| We've started having disk errors on the 30 Gb disk where most of the
| data is. When it happens, CHKDSK /F fixes a few problems, usually by
| deleting the files which I then restore from backup. It seems to be
| getting worse so last weekend I run CHKDSK /R and it marked more blocks
| as bad. After that, CHKDSK reported no errors even after restoring
| 1000's of files. Until today. There are now more logical errors which
| I've repaired with CHKDSK /F. I haven't had time to run /R but if I
| did, I suspect it would find and mark more bad blocks.
|
| Is this a sure sign of the disk failing? I'm ready to replace the disk.
| People are getting frustrated with the problems and although money is
| pretty tight, they've said that they will buy a new server if they
| really have to just to get a reliable system. $1500 or so would buy a
| nice entry level Dell server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
| But ... other than these problems, the current server seems to suffice.
|
| My advice right now is install a new disk. I've already bought, but not
| opened, a 120 GB Western Digital from Best Buy for $49.95 after rebate.
| My nervousness is that I don't want to prolong the agony and find that
| we still have problems. Is there is any real possibility that its the
| controller or something else? Luckily, Exchange seems to have escaped
| damage so far. I assume that because its few big data files are on an
| area of the disk that is still good.
|
| These problems started happening mostly after a few power cuts. Until a
| week ago, they didn't have a UPS. They do now but the latest corruption
| has happened since the UPS was installed.
|
| I've rambled on enough. To me, everything points to the disk
| progressively failing.
|
| Is there anything I'm overlooking or should check in order to fix this
| asap.
|
| Thanks in advance
| Ross

sunny

tetranz wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer
> computer support person for a private school where my partner is the
> manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running
> Windows NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. They have about 7 client machines. The
> server has two IDE disks, 5 Gb for C: and D: and 30 Gb for H:
>
> We've started having disk errors on the 30 Gb disk where most of the
> data is. When it happens, CHKDSK /F fixes a few problems, usually by
> deleting the files which I then restore from backup. It seems to be
> getting worse so last weekend I run CHKDSK /R and it marked more blocks
> as bad. After that, CHKDSK reported no errors even after restoring
> 1000's of files. Until today. There are now more logical errors which
> I've repaired with CHKDSK /F. I haven't had time to run /R but if I
> did, I suspect it would find and mark more bad blocks.
>
> Is this a sure sign of the disk failing? I'm ready to replace the disk.
> People are getting frustrated with the problems and although money is
> pretty tight, they've said that they will buy a new server if they
> really have to just to get a reliable system. $1500 or so would buy a
> nice entry level Dell server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
> But ... other than these problems, the current server seems to suffice.
>
> My advice right now is install a new disk. I've already bought, but not
> opened, a 120 GB Western Digital from Best Buy for $49.95 after rebate.
> My nervousness is that I don't want to prolong the agony and find that
> we still have problems. Is there is any real possibility that its the
> controller or something else? Luckily, Exchange seems to have escaped
> damage so far. I assume that because its few big data files are on an
> area of the disk that is still good.
>
> These problems started happening mostly after a few power cuts. Until a
> week ago, they didn't have a UPS. They do now but the latest corruption
> has happened since the UPS was installed.
>
> I've rambled on enough. To me, everything points to the disk
> progressively failing.
>
> Is there anything I'm overlooking or should check in order to fix this
> asap.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ross

Nice detailed post - good job!

IMHO you've made the right call. Given your efforts so far, the
probability of the problem *not* being the disk is quite low, therefore
spend $50 on a new disk that will very likely solve the problem, not
$1500 on a new server that's guaranteed (or at least warrantied) to fix it.

In the unlikely event the problems continue after installing the new
disk, you can always use it in a new server.

HTH

Sunny

"tetranz" <synergy56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer
> computer support person for a private school where my partner is the
> manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running
> Windows NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. They have about 7 client machines. The
> server has two IDE disks, 5 Gb for C: and D: and 30 Gb for H:
>
> We've started having disk errors on the 30 Gb disk where most of the
> data is. When it happens, CHKDSK /F fixes a few problems, usually by
> deleting the files which I then restore from backup. It seems to be
> getting worse so last weekend I run CHKDSK /R and it marked more blocks
> as bad. After that, CHKDSK reported no errors even after restoring
> 1000's of files. Until today. There are now more logical errors which
> I've repaired with CHKDSK /F. I haven't had time to run /R but if I
> did, I suspect it would find and mark more bad blocks.
>
> Is this a sure sign of the disk failing? I'm ready to replace the disk.
> People are getting frustrated with the problems and although money is
> pretty tight, they've said that they will buy a new server if they
> really have to just to get a reliable system. $1500 or so would buy a
> nice entry level Dell server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
> But ... other than these problems, the current server seems to suffice.
>
> My advice right now is install a new disk. I've already bought, but not
> opened, a 120 GB Western Digital from Best Buy for $49.95 after rebate.
> My nervousness is that I don't want to prolong the agony and find that
> we still have problems. Is there is any real possibility that its the
> controller or something else? Luckily, Exchange seems to have escaped
> damage so far. I assume that because its few big data files are on an
> area of the disk that is still good.
>
> These problems started happening mostly after a few power cuts. Until a
> week ago, they didn't have a UPS. They do now but the latest corruption
> has happened since the UPS was installed.
>
> I've rambled on enough. To me, everything points to the disk
> progressively failing.
>
> Is there anything I'm overlooking or should check in order to fix this
> asap.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ross

When you have a bad block then you run for cover as fast as
you can. In other words: There is absolutely no point in trying
to fix the problem, especially with a server. Replace the disk
while you can - its cost is miniscule compared to the time you
spend in trying to restore damaged files (even when you're
volunteering!).

tetranz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc (More info?)

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the disk today and all looks good so
far.

Cheers
Ross