Judge Urge Apple, Samsung to Meet Before Jury Deliberations

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
*skeptical african kid*
So you are saying, big corporations spend millions arguing over a shape?

Seriously Apple, just get over it. This whole issue has spiraled out of control. The legal system shouldnt entertain this kind of rubbish in the first place. Manufacturers should have enough faith in their products than to resort to poop-flinging. Its a disgrace to technology and hampering real innovation and progress. The money spent in this whole drama would been used to fund research to develop better phones,battery tech, touchscreens, the works....

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Shame the jury can't dismantle part of the broken patent system, any sane person know it's supposed to protect innovation - Not be abused like a 10c hooker in the battle between the corps where the taxpayers have to pay for the childish bickering. Whats even worse is that few of the big corps pay anything back in the form of taxes they are supposed to. Tax evasion, move as much of the staff as possible to places with zero rights and then try to appear to care about the country they operate in.

Patent round corners... the patent offices around the world must be laughing at the American patents, undermining the really innovative ones as the patent offices credibility is sinking like a rock.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I just hope there are plenty of IT guys in the jury who are all tired if the 'patent' bickering of Apple.

Maybe Samsung and ALL the other electronics manufacturers in Asia and elsewhere should join and kindly remind Apple that without them they can close shop as Apple has no manufacturing of their own.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]guru_urug[/nom]*skeptical african kid*So you are saying, big corporations spend millions arguing over a shape?Seriously Apple, just get over it. This whole issue has spiraled out of control. The legal system shouldnt entertain this kind of rubbish in the first place. Manufacturers should have enough faith in their products than to resort to poop-flinging. Its a disgrace to technology and hampering real innovation and progress. The money spent in this whole drama would been used to fund research to develop better phones,battery tech, touchscreens, the works....[/citation]

I agree with you.

Look at the results in the UK below. That is how this lawsuit should end.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Apple-UK-Samsung-Lawsuit-Apology,16363.html

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]...the patent offices around the world must be laughing at the American patents, undermining the really innovative ones as the patent offices credibility is sinking like a rock.[/citation]

Don't have to be a patent officer for that. Everyone laughs at and ignores American patents.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
What a laugh. Gene Roddenberry's Star Track. Tablets are all over that show, and its from the 80s and early 90s. Apple's Founder is on record saying that Apple takes ideas from all around them and steal truly innovative tech to use in their device. I will say that Apple was ONE of the first companies to sell a Popular touch screen device. Bu the basic shape and function have all been done well before Apple even entered the mobile segment in 2008.

I think it is sick that a fledgling company like Apple that has a breakthrough device all the sudden feels like the originator of the tech in 2006, When a company like Samsung that has spent well into the 30s of Billions of dollars in R&D since the early 90s.

I think it is safe to say that Apple in this reminds me of the old BASF commercial. WE don't make a lot of the things you buy, we make a lot of the things you buy better. Apple simply tool a large list of great ideas and tech and build a piece of hardware that just worked well enough to change the market. But it wasn't the only Phone that was out that was out that was like it. The LG Prada came out first and has an earlier development timeline. There were a lot of phones and devices being made that were square or rectangle with a full screen, it is the natural progression of technology.

-CB

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]The LG Prada came out first and has an earlier development timeline. [/citation]

Guess the "Devil wears Prada" ;)

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
No, no settlement! We need legal precedent with an established verdict. I know Samsung probably violated some of the claims, but I also feel like they invalidated a significant amount of the other claims, which IMHO would significantly impact Apple's stance overall--which is what we, as consumers, would really benefit from. If they settle on this, it will do nothing but pave the way for other lawsuits on the same grounds, and then we'll have to put up with it ad nauseum. Not sure what I'd do if in Samsung's shoes, but as an observer I really hope this goes all the way to a verdict.

[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]What a laugh. Gene Roddenberry's Star Track.[/citation]
It's Star TREK!!!!!
/nerdrage

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]What a laugh. Gene Roddenberry's Star Track. Tablets are all over that show, and its from the 80s and early 90s. Apple's Founder is on record saying that Apple takes ideas from all around them and steal truly innovative tech to use in their device. I will say that Apple was ONE of the first companies to sell a Popular touch screen device. Bu the basic shape and function have all been done well before Apple even entered the mobile segment in 2008. I think it is sick that a fledgling company like Apple that has a breakthrough device all the sudden feels like the originator of the tech in 2006, When a company like Samsung that has spent well into the 30s of Billions of dollars in R&D since the early 90s.I think it is safe to say that Apple in this reminds me of the old BASF commercial. WE don't make a lot of the things you buy, we make a lot of the things you buy better. Apple simply tool a large list of great ideas and tech and build a piece of hardware that just worked well enough to change the market. But it wasn't the only Phone that was out that was out that was like it. The LG Prada came out first and has an earlier development timeline. There were a lot of phones and devices being made that were square or rectangle with a full screen, it is the natural progression of technology.-CB[/citation]
But as history has shown, from Bell to Marconi to Edison, you don't have to be the inventor of something - it's all about having the patent, lots of large, wealthy and unscrupulous backers and a very vocal lobby to Government
If you have enough money you can argue in court that black is white and win, hopefully going onwards to be killed at the next zebra crossing

Frankly, Judge Koh has a point. These companies - that are one of the world's largest - are fighting over frivolous trash they call a "patent". Talk it out like a man and settle it.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Frankly, Judge Koh has a point. These companies - that are one of the world's largest - are fighting over frivolous trash they call a "patent". Talk it out like a man and settle it.[/citation]
No argument that they're fighting over essentially silly things, but the problem is that settling won't yield a legal precedent for the future. What's worse, settling will just empower Apple to sue other companies for the same thing and then leverage another settlement. And another one after that. We really need a decision--Samsung did "copy" i-designs, but IMHO no more than any other tech producer that is looking at competitors' products, and I think Samsung invalidated a lot of Apple's patent claims at the same time with examples of prior art.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Don't get my hopes up. I would celebrate the day suppliers stopped putting up with Apple's crap and cut them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.