Panasonic KX-P6500 - won't print in Windows XP - help!

HI All
Can anybody please help me with this problem before the printer goes
out of the window !?

I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 - which I would like to talk to my main pc
- WinXP (sp2).

The supplied drivers only go up to win98 / xp - so I've trawled the
web and found several downloads - none of which work reliably on the
XP box. Typical problems include a complete refusal to print (on the
GDI mode) and corrupted characters in the PCL mode.

Out of curiousity, I installed the printer on my old win95 laptop.
Works fine in GDI & PCL, also allows the XP box to print to the
printer through the ethernet.

Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.

BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
attached to the win98se box.....

Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
No response from Panasonic themselves.

I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....

Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......

Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully
recieved

Many thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK
10 answers Last reply
More about panasonic p6500 print windows help

    I have a KX-P6300 which uses the same package of drivers, I don't know the
    exact difference in the printer. I have Panasonic driver ver 1.4 and have no
    problems, before or after installing XP SP2. I have only used it in GDI mode
    not PCL though.
    Do you have that driver?
    Mike

    "Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
    > HI All
    > Can anybody please help me with this problem before the printer goes
    > out of the window !?
    >
    > I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 - which I would like to talk to my main pc
    > - WinXP (sp2).
    >
    > The supplied drivers only go up to win98 / xp - so I've trawled the
    > web and found several downloads - none of which work reliably on the
    > XP box. Typical problems include a complete refusal to print (on the
    > GDI mode) and corrupted characters in the PCL mode.
    >
    > Out of curiousity, I installed the printer on my old win95 laptop.
    > Works fine in GDI & PCL, also allows the XP box to print to the
    > printer through the ethernet.
    >
    > Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
    > installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
    > 98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
    > Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.
    >
    > BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
    > attached to the win98se box.....
    >
    > Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
    > No response from Panasonic themselves.
    >
    > I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
    > let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
    > inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....
    >
    > Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
    > box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......
    >
    > Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully
    > recieved
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Adrian
    > Suffolk UK

    PS 1 Have you tried
    http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/printer/model/mlp/p6500/p6500download.htm
    2 This driver seems to be GDI only.
    Mike

    "Mike Wylde" <mwylde@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have a KX-P6300 which uses the same package of drivers, I don't know the
    >exact difference in the printer. I have Panasonic driver ver 1.4 and have
    >no problems, before or after installing XP SP2. I have only used it in GDI
    >mode not PCL though.
    > Do you have that driver?
    > Mike
    >

    > "Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> HI All
    >> Can anybody please help me with this problem before the printer goes
    >> out of the window !?
    >>
    >> I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 - which I would like to talk to my main pc
    >> - WinXP (sp2).
    >>
    >> The supplied drivers only go up to win98 / xp - so I've trawled the
    >> web and found several downloads - none of which work reliably on the
    >> XP box. Typical problems include a complete refusal to print (on the
    >> GDI mode) and corrupted characters in the PCL mode.
    >>
    >> Out of curiousity, I installed the printer on my old win95 laptop.
    >> Works fine in GDI & PCL, also allows the XP box to print to the
    >> printer through the ethernet.
    >>
    >> Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
    >> installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
    >> 98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
    >> Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.
    >>
    >> BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
    >> attached to the win98se box.....
    >>
    >> Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
    >> No response from Panasonic themselves.
    >>
    >> I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
    >> let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
    >> inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....
    >>
    >> Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
    >> box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......
    >>
    >> Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully
    >> recieved
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Adrian
    >> Suffolk UK

    HI Mike

    Thanks for the reply.
    I've tried several installation sets - including

    VERSION Special 1.40
    DATE 29 Jul. 2003

    I see a note in the 'readme' that says there can be problems if the
    parallel port is set to ECP - recommends 'Bi-directional' instead.
    There's no option for this on my Bios - so I'm just about to try it
    with EPP rather than ECP.

    The GDI fault that's returned is 'missing cable' - suggesting that the
    PC and the Printer aren't talking to each other .....

    I'll let you know if this Bios change alters anything..... but don't
    hold your breath!

    Thanks
    Adrian
    Suffolk UK

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:00:48 +0100, "Mike Wylde"
    <mwylde@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:

    >I have a KX-P6300 which uses the same package of drivers, I don't know the
    >exact difference in the printer. I have Panasonic driver ver 1.4 and have no
    >problems, before or after installing XP SP2. I have only used it in GDI mode
    >not PCL though.
    >Do you have that driver?
    >Mike
    >

    >"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> HI All
    >> Can anybody please help me with this problem before the printer goes
    >> out of the window !?
    >>
    >> I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 - which I would like to talk to my main pc
    >> - WinXP (sp2).
    >>
    >> The supplied drivers only go up to win98 / xp - so I've trawled the
    >> web and found several downloads - none of which work reliably on the
    >> XP box. Typical problems include a complete refusal to print (on the
    >> GDI mode) and corrupted characters in the PCL mode.
    >>
    >> Out of curiousity, I installed the printer on my old win95 laptop.
    >> Works fine in GDI & PCL, also allows the XP box to print to the
    >> printer through the ethernet.
    >>
    >> Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
    >> installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
    >> 98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
    >> Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.
    >>
    >> BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
    >> attached to the win98se box.....
    >>
    >> Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
    >> No response from Panasonic themselves.
    >>
    >> I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
    >> let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
    >> inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....
    >>
    >> Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
    >> box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......
    >>
    >> Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully
    >> recieved
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Adrian
    >> Suffolk UK

    HI Mike

    So far, it seems to be working (he said cautiously).

    Successfully printed from Word & PaintShopPro - though when I
    tried turning on the 'photo-enhance' feature in the panasonic driver
    it then fell in a heap & refused to play again until I'd re-installed
    the printer - so I shall not use that 'feature'.......

    Still - light-years ahead of where we were - so that's progress <g>

    Many thanks for confirming that the Drivers were (more or less) OK in
    WinXP - seems as if the printer port settings are a bit critical.....

    Thanks
    Adrian
    Suffolk UK

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:25:48 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
> [...]

    >>> printer through the ethernet.
    >>>
    >>> Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
    >>> installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
    >>> 98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
    >>> Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.
    >>>
    >>> BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
    >>> attached to the win98se box.....
    >>>
    >>> Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
    >>> No response from Panasonic themselves.
    >>>
    >>> I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
    >>> let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
    >>> inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....
    >>>
    >>> Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
    >>> box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully

    HI Mike

    I did say 'cautiously'.......

    Tried printing several pages from Word and the darn thing fell in a
    heap again - claiming that the cable was faulty or the printer was
    turned off (neither true).....

    Looks as if my combination of PC / Port / Win XP / This printer won't
    fly........

    Eventually tried installing the beast in PCL mode - and finally told
    it that it was a Laserjet II. So far, it's behaving, only in 300dpi
    mode - but it's a start.... - and after the 'fun' I've had for the
    last couple of days I might just settle for that <g>

    Regards
    Adrian
    Suffolk UK

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:20:33 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
    <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote:

    >HI Mike
    >
    >So far, it seems to be working (he said cautiously).
    >
    >Successfully printed from Word & PaintShopPro - though when I
    >tried turning on the 'photo-enhance' feature in the panasonic driver
    >it then fell in a heap & refused to play again until I'd re-installed
    >the printer - so I shall not use that 'feature'.......
    >
    >Still - light-years ahead of where we were - so that's progress <g>
    >
    >Many thanks for confirming that the Drivers were (more or less) OK in
    >WinXP - seems as if the printer port settings are a bit critical.....
    >
    >Thanks
    >Adrian
    >Suffolk UK
    >
    >On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:25:48 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
    ><adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>HI Mike
    >>
    >>Thanks for the reply.
    >>I've tried several installation sets - including
    >>
    >>VERSION Special 1.40
    >>DATE 29 Jul. 2003
    >>
    >>I see a note in the 'readme' that says there can be problems if the
    >>parallel port is set to ECP - recommends 'Bi-directional' instead.
    >>There's no option for this on my Bios - so I'm just about to try it
    >>with EPP rather than ECP.
    >>
    >>The GDI fault that's returned is 'missing cable' - suggesting that the
    >>PC and the Printer aren't talking to each other .....
    >>
    >>I'll let you know if this Bios change alters anything..... but don't
    >>hold your breath!
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Adrian
    >>Suffolk UK
    >>
    >>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:00:48 +0100, "Mike Wylde"
    >><mwylde@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a KX-P6300 which uses the same package of drivers, I don't know the
    >>>exact difference in the printer. I have Panasonic driver ver 1.4 and have no
    >>>problems, before or after installing XP SP2. I have only used it in GDI mode
    >>>not PCL though.
    >>>Do you have that driver?
    >>>Mike
    >>>

    >>>"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message

    Adrian
    Frankly I'm a bit out of my depth with some of these details and am not sure
    of their significance but FWIW in Device Manager my port (LPT1) is set to
    ECP, using Ms driver 5.1.2600.0.
    In printer properties the port is GDI1 LPT port, and "Enable bidirectional
    support" is ticked.
    The print processor is WinPrint using RAW data.
    I've been very pleased with this printer except for the cost of a new
    process unit which made me think of dumping it! But all the manufacturers
    indulge in the same racket don't they?

    > HI Mike
    >
    > I did say 'cautiously'.......
    >
    > Tried printing several pages from Word and the darn thing fell in a
    > heap again - claiming that the cable was faulty or the printer was
    > turned off (neither true).....
    >
    > Looks as if my combination of PC / Port / Win XP / This printer won't
    > fly........
    >
    > Eventually tried installing the beast in PCL mode - and finally told
    > it that it was a Laserjet II. So far, it's behaving, only in 300dpi
    > mode - but it's a start.... - and after the 'fun' I've had for the
    > last couple of days I might just settle for that <g>
    >
    > Regards
    > Adrian
    > Suffolk UK
    >

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:20:33 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
    > <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>HI Mike
    >>
    >>So far, it seems to be working (he said cautiously).
    >>
    >>Successfully printed from Word & PaintShopPro - though when I
    >>tried turning on the 'photo-enhance' feature in the panasonic driver
    >>it then fell in a heap & refused to play again until I'd re-installed
    >>the printer - so I shall not use that 'feature'.......
    >>
    >>Still - light-years ahead of where we were - so that's progress <g>
    >>
    >>Many thanks for confirming that the Drivers were (more or less) OK in
    >>WinXP - seems as if the printer port settings are a bit critical.....
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Adrian
    >>Suffolk UK
    >>
    >>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:25:48 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
    >><adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>HI Mike
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the reply.
    >>>I've tried several installation sets - including
    >>>
    >>>VERSION Special 1.40
    >>>DATE 29 Jul. 2003
    >>>
    >>>I see a note in the 'readme' that says there can be problems if the
    >>>parallel port is set to ECP - recommends 'Bi-directional' instead.
    >>>There's no option for this on my Bios - so I'm just about to try it
    >>>with EPP rather than ECP.
    >>>
    >>>The GDI fault that's returned is 'missing cable' - suggesting that the
    >>>PC and the Printer aren't talking to each other .....
    >>>
    >>>I'll let you know if this Bios change alters anything..... but don't
    >>>hold your breath!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Adrian
    >>>Suffolk UK

    HI Mike

    At the moment it's working (thinks it's a HP LJII <g>) - but as long
    as it stays working that's fine by me.....

    I'm probably missing out on all kinds of 'funky' special features -
    but it does seem to be printing OK - so I think I'll give the 'proper'
    drivers a miss - at least until Panasonic Support give me some better
    ideas.

    I se what you mean about the process unit - about £99 - £150 based on
    a quick Google - but I seem to recall that's about what the drum for
    my old LJ II clone cost about 5 years ago....

    I think if that's required at some stage I'll just junk the printer -
    after all, it did just cost me all of £13.50 on ebay !

    I guess that Panasonic are only playing the same game as Epson & the
    others play with the cost of Inkjet carts........

    Thanks again
    Adrian
    Suffolk UK

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:03:56 +0100, "Mike Wylde"
    <mwylde@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:

    >Adrian
    >Frankly I'm a bit out of my depth with some of these details and am not sure
    >of their significance but FWIW in Device Manager my port (LPT1) is set to
    >ECP, using Ms driver 5.1.2600.0.
    >In printer properties the port is GDI1 LPT port, and "Enable bidirectional
    >support" is ticked.
    >The print processor is WinPrint using RAW data.
    >I've been very pleased with this printer except for the cost of a new
    >process unit which made me think of dumping it! But all the manufacturers
    >indulge in the same racket don't they?
    >Mike
    >
    >"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> HI Mike
    >>
    >> I did say 'cautiously'.......
    >>
    >> Tried printing several pages from Word and the darn thing fell in a
    >> heap again - claiming that the cable was faulty or the printer was
    >> turned off (neither true).....
    >>
    >> Looks as if my combination of PC / Port / Win XP / This printer won't
    >> fly........
    >>
    >> Eventually tried installing the beast in PCL mode - and finally told
    >> it that it was a Laserjet II. So far, it's behaving, only in 300dpi
    >> mode - but it's a start.... - and after the 'fun' I've had for the
    >> last couple of days I might just settle for that <g>
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Adrian
    >> Suffolk UK
    >>

    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:20:33 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
    >> <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>HI Mike
    >>>
    >>>So far, it seems to be working (he said cautiously).
    >>>
    >>>Successfully printed from Word & PaintShopPro - though when I
    >>>tried turning on the 'photo-enhance' feature in the panasonic driver
    >>>it then fell in a heap & refused to play again until I'd re-installed
    >>>the printer - so I shall not use that 'feature'.......
    >>>
    >>>Still - light-years ahead of where we were - so that's progress <g>
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks for confirming that the Drivers were (more or less) OK in
    >>>WinXP - seems as if the printer port settings are a bit critical.....
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Adrian
    >>>Suffolk UK

    Can you find a driver for the printer that is set up to work with Win
    2000? It may work.

    If not, most of the Panasonic laser printers emulate HP or IBM printers.
    You may need to make some front panel entries to set it beyond default
    values. But look for "in box" drivers in your XP package that might
    work. Often Windows provides numerous generic drivers that will work
    with HP or IBM standard settings, and these may well work with your
    Panasonic printer.

    Art

    Adrian Brentnall wrote:

    > HI All
    > Can anybody please help me with this problem before the printer goes
    > out of the window !?
    >
    > I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 - which I would like to talk to my main pc
    > - WinXP (sp2).
    >
    > The supplied drivers only go up to win98 / xp - so I've trawled the
    > web and found several downloads - none of which work reliably on the
    > XP box. Typical problems include a complete refusal to print (on the
    > GDI mode) and corrupted characters in the PCL mode.
    >
    > Out of curiousity, I installed the printer on my old win95 laptop.
    > Works fine in GDI & PCL, also allows the XP box to print to the
    > printer through the ethernet.
    >
    > Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
    > installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
    > 98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
    > Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.
    >
    > BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
    > attached to the win98se box.....
    >
    > Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
    > No response from Panasonic themselves.
    >
    > I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
    > let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
    > inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....
    >
    > Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
    > box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......
    >
    > Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully
    > recieved
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Adrian
    > Suffolk UK

    Make sure you have a cable that is fully wired for bi-directional
    communications with the printer. Possibly an older one will not be or
    will have a damaged pin or something.

    Art

    Adrian Brentnall wrote:

    > HI Mike
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > I've tried several installation sets - including
    >
    > VERSION Special 1.40
    > DATE 29 Jul. 2003
    >
    > I see a note in the 'readme' that says there can be problems if the
    > parallel port is set to ECP - recommends 'Bi-directional' instead.
    > There's no option for this on my Bios - so I'm just about to try it
    > with EPP rather than ECP.
    >
    > The GDI fault that's returned is 'missing cable' - suggesting that the
    > PC and the Printer aren't talking to each other .....
    >
    > I'll let you know if this Bios change alters anything..... but don't
    > hold your breath!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Adrian
    > Suffolk UK
    >
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:00:48 +0100, "Mike Wylde"
    > <mwylde@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a KX-P6300 which uses the same package of drivers, I don't know the
    >>exact difference in the printer. I have Panasonic driver ver 1.4 and have no
    >>problems, before or after installing XP SP2. I have only used it in GDI mode
    >>not PCL though.
    >>Do you have that driver?
    >>Mike
    >>

    >>"Adrian Brentnall" <adrian@ambquality.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>HI All
    >>>Can anybody please help me with this problem before the printer goes
    >>>out of the window !?
    >>>
    >>>I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 - which I would like to talk to my main pc
    >>>- WinXP (sp2).
    >>>
    >>>The supplied drivers only go up to win98 / xp - so I've trawled the
    >>>web and found several downloads - none of which work reliably on the
    >>>XP box. Typical problems include a complete refusal to print (on the
    >>>GDI mode) and corrupted characters in the PCL mode.
    >>>
    >>>Out of curiousity, I installed the printer on my old win95 laptop.
    >>>Works fine in GDI & PCL, also allows the XP box to print to the
    >>>printer through the ethernet.
    >>>
    >>>Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
    >>>installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
    >>>98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
    >>>Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.
    >>>
    >>>BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
    >>>attached to the win98se box.....
    >>>
    >>>Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
    >>>No response from Panasonic themselves.
    >>>
    >>>I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
    >>>let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
    >>>inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....
    >>>
    >>>Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
    >>>box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully
    >>>recieved
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks
    >>>Adrian
    >>>Suffolk UK

    Hi Art

    Thanks for your two messages.

    I've managed to get the printer to run reliably by pretending that
    it's an HP LJ IID - only runs at 300 dpi - but doesn't fall in a heap
    when given really difficult tasks like printing three copies of the
    same page <g>

    I did check the cable by connecting it to different PCs - there only
    seems to be an issue with the XP box.

    There's not much you can do from the printer's front panel - three
    leds and a reset button <g> - but it does seem to be behaving itself
    now....... (famous last words !)

    Anyway - it's fine now for what I wanted - which is a cheap
    alternative (to inkjet) for producing 'What's on' sheets for our local
    Church.

    Thanks again
    Adrian
    Suffolk UK

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:23:37 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
    wrote:

    >Can you find a driver for the printer that is set up to work with Win
    >2000? It may work.
    >
    >If not, most of the Panasonic laser printers emulate HP or IBM printers.
    > You may need to make some front panel entries to set it beyond default
    >values. But look for "in box" drivers in your XP package that might
    >work. Often Windows provides numerous generic drivers that will work
    >with HP or IBM standard settings, and these may well work with your
    >Panasonic printer.
    >
    >Art
    >

    >Adrian Brentnall wrote:
    >
    >> HI All
    >> Can anybody please help me with this problem before the printer goes
    >> out of the window !?
    >>
    >> I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 - which I would like to talk to my main pc
    >> - WinXP (sp2).
    >>
    >> The supplied drivers only go up to win98 / xp - so I've trawled the
    >> web and found several downloads - none of which work reliably on the
    >> XP box. Typical problems include a complete refusal to print (on the
    >> GDI mode) and corrupted characters in the PCL mode.
    >>
    >> Out of curiousity, I installed the printer on my old win95 laptop.
    >> Works fine in GDI & PCL, also allows the XP box to print to the
    >> printer through the ethernet.
    >>
    >> Kind of inconvenient to use the laptop as a print server - so
    >> installed a parallel socket on the back of the other desk machine (win
    >> 98se) - and installed the printer on there. Local printing is fine.
    >> Printing from the laptop to the win98se machine is fine.
    >>
    >> BUT - now the darned XP box won't recognise the printer that's
    >> attached to the win98se box.....
    >>
    >> Starting to run out of ideas (& patience!)
    >> No response from Panasonic themselves.
    >>
    >> I'd even settle for a 300dpi-only solution - after all - it's only to
    >> let me print out (cheap) bulk notices for our local church - the
    >> inkjet does a great job but costs a fortune in ink to run.....
    >>
    >> Ideal situation would be Panasonic printer attached directly to the XP
    >> box - 2nd-best would be networked via the Win98se box......
    >>
    >> Any suggestions (apart from 'buy a different printer'!) gratefully
    >> recieved
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Adrian
    >> Suffolk UK

Printers Panasonic Windows XP Peripherals