Contacting netgear

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 27, 2005 4:57:01 PM

Two years ago I successfully set up a netgear WG602 wireless access point
with a WinME computer and a netgear WG511 wireless pc card. I'm replacing
the winME computer with a new winXP computer and using the same pc card. I
want to configure the WG602. The manual tells me to type the access point
name (netgearxxxxxx) in the address line of my browser but then I get "The
page cannot be found" message.

Also, when I try to download an upgrade for the firmware at 192.168.0.227 I
get the same message.

Does anyone know how to get around this? I'm unable to connect from the pc
card to the access point, so I assume I must reconfigure.

More about : contacting netgear

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2005 7:13:51 PM

Have you looked at page 22 in your users manual?

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg602_users_guide.pdf

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 065569D-CA8F-4C9B-8755-46BE149F101E@microsoft.com...
> Two years ago I successfully set up a netgear WG602 wireless access point
> with a WinME computer and a netgear WG511 wireless pc card. I'm replacing
> the winME computer with a new winXP computer and using the same pc card.
> want to configure the WG602. The manual tells me to type the access
> point
> name (netgearxxxxxx) in the address line of my browser but then I get "The
> page cannot be found" message.
>
> Also, when I try to download an upgrade for the firmware at 192.168.0.227
> get the same message.
>
> Does anyone know how to get around this? I'm unable to connect from the
> pc
> card to the access point, so I assume I must reconfigure.
August 27, 2005 7:43:01 PM

Thank you for your answer Sooner Al.

I verified that the IP addresses were in the same subnet and the subnet
masks were the same.

Still could not connect to configure or download.

I pushed the reset in the back of the WG602 and unplugged and replugged power.

Still no help.

Do you have anything else I can try?

Allen
Related resources
August 27, 2005 8:51:04 PM

Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security. But I
still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.

Any help, please
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2005 8:22:13 AM

Can you access the AP using its IP?

Have you cleared your browser temporary cache?

Some devices only allow you to configure them via a wired Ethernet port and
not over the wireless link. That is how I have my Buffalo WBR-G54
configured.

--

> Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
> values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security. But
> still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.
>
> Any help, please
August 28, 2005 2:05:01 PM

Thank you for the response, sooner al

I haven't been able to access the AP using its IP.

I rebooted the computer to clear the browser temporary casche.

I am trying to configure through the wired ethernet connection.

Still no luck.
Allen

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Can you access the AP using its IP?
>
> Have you cleared your browser temporary cache?

> Some devices only allow you to configure them via a wired Ethernet port and
> not over the wireless link. That is how I have my Buffalo WBR-G54
> configured.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
> > values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security. But
> > still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.
> >
> > Any help, please

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2005 4:53:23 PM

I suggest you post to the Broadband Reports or Netgear.com support forums
for possible help...

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/netgear

Good luck...

--

> Thank you for the response, sooner al
>
> I haven't been able to access the AP using its IP.
>
> I rebooted the computer to clear the browser temporary casche.
>
> I am trying to configure through the wired ethernet connection.
>
> Still no luck.
> Allen
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Can you access the AP using its IP?
>>
>> Have you cleared your browser temporary cache?
>

>> Some devices only allow you to configure them via a wired Ethernet port
>> and
>> not over the wireless link. That is how I have my Buffalo WBR-G54
>> configured.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
>> > values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security.
>> > But
>> > still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.
>> >
>> > Any help, please

August 28, 2005 7:17:01 PM

I've looked at the Netgear forums and other people have the same problem and
have gotten no resolution. I found there is a firmware upgrade download to
fix a security problem, unauthorized people could configure your access
point. I downloaded the upgrade but could not install it because it required
access to 192.168.0.227. I wonder if the security fix denies access if you
don't have the upgrade, but you need access to install the upgrade!!!!!

What do you think?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2005 9:25:18 PM

I have no idea since I don't use that router. Your best bet is to
post/lurk/etc on the Netgear forums...

Good luck...

--

!