Contacting netgear

Two years ago I successfully set up a netgear WG602 wireless access point
with a WinME computer and a netgear WG511 wireless pc card. I'm replacing
the winME computer with a new winXP computer and using the same pc card. I
want to configure the WG602. The manual tells me to type the access point
name (netgearxxxxxx) in the address line of my browser but then I get "The
page cannot be found" message.

Also, when I try to download an upgrade for the firmware at 192.168.0.227 I
get the same message.

Does anyone know how to get around this? I'm unable to connect from the pc
card to the access point, so I assume I must reconfigure.
8 answers Last reply
More about contacting netgear

    Have you looked at page 22 in your users manual?

    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg602_users_guide.pdf

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Two years ago I successfully set up a netgear WG602 wireless access point
    > with a WinME computer and a netgear WG511 wireless pc card. I'm replacing
    > the winME computer with a new winXP computer and using the same pc card.
    > want to configure the WG602. The manual tells me to type the access
    > point
    > name (netgearxxxxxx) in the address line of my browser but then I get "The
    > page cannot be found" message.
    >
    > Also, when I try to download an upgrade for the firmware at 192.168.0.227
    > get the same message.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get around this? I'm unable to connect from the
    > pc
    > card to the access point, so I assume I must reconfigure.

    Thank you for your answer Sooner Al.

    I verified that the IP addresses were in the same subnet and the subnet
    masks were the same.

    Still could not connect to configure or download.

    I pushed the reset in the back of the WG602 and unplugged and replugged power.

    Still no help.

    Do you have anything else I can try?

    Allen

    Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
    values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security. But I
    still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.

    Any help, please

    Can you access the AP using its IP?

    Have you cleared your browser temporary cache?

    Some devices only allow you to configure them via a wired Ethernet port and
    not over the wireless link. That is how I have my Buffalo WBR-G54
    configured.

    --

    > Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
    > values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security. But
    > still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.
    >
    > Any help, please

    Thank you for the response, sooner al

    I haven't been able to access the AP using its IP.

    I rebooted the computer to clear the browser temporary casche.

    I am trying to configure through the wired ethernet connection.

    Still no luck.
    Allen

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > Can you access the AP using its IP?
    >
    > Have you cleared your browser temporary cache?

    > Some devices only allow you to configure them via a wired Ethernet port and
    > not over the wireless link. That is how I have my Buffalo WBR-G54
    > configured.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
    > > values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security. But
    > > still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.
    > >
    > > Any help, please

    I suggest you post to the Broadband Reports or Netgear.com support forums
    for possible help...

    http://forum1.netgear.com/support/

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/netgear

    Good luck...

    --

    > Thank you for the response, sooner al
    >
    > I haven't been able to access the AP using its IP.
    >
    > I rebooted the computer to clear the browser temporary casche.
    >
    > I am trying to configure through the wired ethernet connection.
    >
    > Still no luck.
    > Allen
    >
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Can you access the AP using its IP?
    >>
    >> Have you cleared your browser temporary cache?
    >

    >> Some devices only allow you to configure them via a wired Ethernet port
    >> and
    >> not over the wireless link. That is how I have my Buffalo WBR-G54
    >> configured.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > Since I pushed reset I was able to establish a network with the default
    >> > values. Of course I still need to configure so as to have security.
    >> > But
    >> > still can't connect to netgear by typing the access point name.
    >> >
    >> > Any help, please

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I've looked at the Netgear forums and other people have the same problem and
    have gotten no resolution. I found there is a firmware upgrade download to
    fix a security problem, unauthorized people could configure your access
    point. I downloaded the upgrade but could not install it because it required
    access to 192.168.0.227. I wonder if the security fix denies access if you
    don't have the upgrade, but you need access to install the upgrade!!!!!

    What do you think?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I have no idea since I don't use that router. Your best bet is to
    post/lurk/etc on the Netgear forums...

    Good luck...

    --

    > I've looked at the Netgear forums and other people have the same problem
    > and
    > have gotten no resolution. I found there is a firmware upgrade download
    > fix a security problem, unauthorized people could configure your access
    > point. I downloaded the upgrade but could not install it because it
    > required
    > access to 192.168.0.227. I wonder if the security fix denies access if
    > you
    > don't have the upgrade, but you need access to install the upgrade!!!!!
    >
    > What do you think?

Wireless Netgear Computers Wireless Networking