Sell your Old computer to rebuild? worth it?

takeflight21121

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
This is my first post

But, i was looking around surfing the net...
i came across a motherboard similar to mine, different chipset, same bios revision and everything else was the same. But what really surprised me was it was sold for 216.50$. Now since i have that on my mind, do you think it's worth selling my motherboard on ebay... hopefully getting around the same price? and sell my processor and vga and ram and psu, just to buy a new AMD computer...?

I have GA-8PENXP titan mb
p4 northwood 3.0
patriot ram
aopen psu
and a 9800 pro

think if i sell it now... and wait a year for the new m2? think that would be good? because i have a 3.0 64bit dell computer... but it's the family computer, do you think it's worth it? i would be happy to get like 500-600$ for this computer

forsayken

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Do you not like Intel? your system is plenty fast. Also, the parts you listed are pretty much your entire system. You may as well sell off the whole thing as one piece and make the deal more appealing.

Selling individual pieces is probably more work than it's worth. And I bet that you'll get more money by selling the complete system than if you just sell off parts; you have the software and the warranty (unless you've opened up your system).

mpjesse

Splendid
The longer you wait the less you're going to sell your stuff for.

I just upgraded to an X2 4200+, 2x 7800GTX's, and an Asus A8N-SLI Premium. I sold all my old stuff on eBay.

This is what I got for it on eBay:

MSI Neo2 i865PE motherboard: sold for $55
Intel P4 3.4Ghz Northwood: $275
ATI x800 Pro: $207

Here is what the same stuff goes for new on pricewatch.com

mobo: $48.
processor (OEM): $259
video card: $229

As you can see, people on eBay are frikin morons. So, my suggestion would be to sell your stuff on eBay.

-mpjesse

ArthurDent

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I'd also go with selling stuff on ebay. It's a great place to sell but not so good to buy from as there's always some idiot willing to pay much more than something is worth 2nd hand.

I've sold 2nd hand computer components there for more than they would cost new.

kumana1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
its a good way to become a reputable seller and make some decent dinero. all in all, i think i only payed $190 out of pocket to upgrade.