Inks for PIXMA iP 4000

I have the iP4000 to replace my i850 CANON Printer. Is there a decent
UsSsupplier who carries the replacement or generic cartridges for the 5
cartridges. My i850 failed after 14 months. But, I had bought an extended
warranty from BEST BUY and got the iP4000 replacement. At no charge.
Thanks,
INNEALTIOR
for e-mail, remove pany.htm
29 answers Last reply
More about inks pixma 4000

    "Innealtoir" <innealtoir@aol.company.htm> wrote in message
    > I have the iP4000 to replace my i850 CANON Printer. Is there a decent
    > UsSsupplier who carries the replacement or generic cartridges for the 5
    > cartridges. My i850 failed after 14 months. But, I had bought an
    extended
    > warranty from BEST BUY and got the iP4000 replacement. At no charge.
    > Thanks,
    > INNEALTIOR
    > for e-mail, remove pany.htm

    As below.
    Tony
    --
    Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas

    My favorite is alotofthings.com and I highly recommend them. Great prices,
    quality ink and outstanding service. The web site has good prices, but going
    to the eBay store really gives the savings.
    http://stores.ebay.com/ALOT-OF-THINGS_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm Also check out
    the web site for the manufacturer of the ink www.formulabs.com. I've been
    using ink from alotofthings for nearly three years in a variety of Canon
    printers. I just received my ip4000 yesterday and haven't installed it yet.
    However, I've already ordered additional cartridges and bulk ink for it. For
    your own peace of mind, be sure to do some google searches on alotofthings
    and Formulabs. I'm only one of many satisfied customers. Check out what
    others also have to say.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    "Innealtoir" <innealtoir@aol.company.htm> wrote in message
    > I have the iP4000 to replace my i850 CANON Printer. Is there a decent
    > UsSsupplier who carries the replacement or generic cartridges for the 5
    > cartridges. My i850 failed after 14 months. But, I had bought an
    extended
    > warranty from BEST BUY and got the iP4000 replacement. At no charge.
    > Thanks,
    > INNEALTIOR
    > for e-mail, remove pany.htm

    ---
    AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    Innealtoir wrote:
    > I have the iP4000 to replace my i850 CANON Printer. Is there a decent
    > UsSsupplier who carries the replacement or generic cartridges for the
    > 5 cartridges. My i850 failed after 14 months. But, I had bought an
    > extended warranty from BEST BUY and got the iP4000 replacement. At no
    > charge. Thanks,
    > INNEALTIOR
    > for e-mail, remove pany.htm

    So, i'm not the only one with head ruined after year and a half...lucky
    you... i'll have to pay...
    Did you refill or use non-Canon carts?

    It's not ruined, it's used up. 14 months is about
    how long i850 print heads last.

    --
    WeInk.com Technical Support
    Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759

    "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote in message
    > It's not ruined, it's used up. 14 months is about
    > how long i850 print heads last.

    That's garbage!
    Unless you are doing something out of the ordinary, these printheads should
    last several years.

    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > > Innealtoir wrote:
    > >> I have the iP4000 to replace my i850 CANON Printer. Is there a decent
    > >> UsSsupplier who carries the replacement or generic cartridges for the
    > >> 5 cartridges. My i850 failed after 14 months. But, I had bought an
    > >> extended warranty from BEST BUY and got the iP4000 replacement. At no
    > >> charge. Thanks,
    > >> INNEALTIOR
    > >> for e-mail, remove pany.htm
    > >
    > > So, i'm not the only one with head ruined after year and a half...lucky
    > > you... i'll have to pay...
    > > Did you refill or use non-Canon carts?

    "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote in message
    > It's not ruined, it's used up. 14 months is about
    > how long i850 print heads last.
    >
    > --
    > WeInk.com Technical Support

    That's bloody scientific ennit.: so guy A prints 5 pages a week for 14
    months that's 280 pages whereas B prints 200 which is 11,200 pages and after
    14 months their printheads are knackered. That's one hell of a strange or
    clever Canon policy that counts in months. I thought it was called duty
    cycle. I don't think I'd buy a used car from WeInk Tech support. "Good as
    new mate, only done Rallye stuff for 2 years."
    Tony
    --
    Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
    http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
    The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip
    drop pants to reply

    T_S wrote:
    > It's not ruined, it's used up. 14 months is about
    > how long i850 print heads last.

    really? That's...odd, at least...

    PC Medic wrote:
    > "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote in message
    >> It's not ruined, it's used up. 14 months is about
    >> how long i850 print heads last.
    >>

    > That's garbage!
    > Unless you are doing something out of the ordinary, these printheads
    > should last several years.

    like refilling...

    I can't comment on all brands of generic ink and all printers, but I will
    share a word of caution.

    Today's printers use extremely fine jets, and can be extremely sensitive to
    the ink. The warning that generic inks can damage a printer are not just
    hype.

    I have always used generic inks on my older printers, without any problem
    (other than untrue colors), but I am cautious about using them on the newer
    printers.

    My son's Epson C82 was destroyed almost immediately by a generic ink
    clogging the jets. They did replace the printer. Now that my son is
    sticking to Epson ink, the printer has worked flawlessly -- still brand new
    printer quality after a couple of years.

    For my new Canon ip4000, I am not taking any chances. I will pay the extra
    bucks for the Canon ink. One of the advantages of ip4000 is it is ink
    frugal, and has been reviewed as having one of the lowest cost-per-page of
    any of the printers.

    On the bright side, the ip4000 does feature a user-replaceable head.

    - David

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:<UmQbd.4303$F6.1206075@news.siol.net>...
    > like refilling...

    For those who refilled and had Canon printheads fail in 1.5 years.
    Thinking back, did you "ever" let a cartridge go empty and refill it
    and have it not print properly until the heads got recharged?

    If so, you may have damaged the heads since thermal type printers like
    Canon and HP need ink flowing through the head for cooling. I don't
    think Epson would have this problem since it use pizeo electric
    printing.

    Just a possibility,
    Mo

    David D. wrote:
    > I can't comment on all brands of generic ink and all printers, but I
    > will share a word of caution.
    >
    > Today's printers use extremely fine jets, and can be extremely
    > sensitive to the ink. The warning that generic inks can damage a
    > printer are not just hype.
    >
    > I have always used generic inks on my older printers, without any
    > problem (other than untrue colors), but I am cautious about using
    > them on the newer printers.
    >
    > My son's Epson C82 was destroyed almost immediately by a generic ink
    > clogging the jets. They did replace the printer. Now that my son is
    > sticking to Epson ink, the printer has worked flawlessly -- still
    > brand new printer quality after a couple of years.
    >
    > For my new Canon ip4000, I am not taking any chances. I will pay
    > the extra bucks for the Canon ink. One of the advantages of ip4000
    > is it is ink frugal, and has been reviewed as having one of the
    > lowest cost-per-page of any of the printers.
    >
    > On the bright side, the ip4000 does feature a user-replaceable head.
    >
    > - David

    Well, this is only good news...since i just ordered ip4000 and i'll be
    receiving it on Monday.
    Like i said in other thread, i refilled succesfully my i550 for about 18
    months, while now head mixes all colors into one violet...
    i550 also does have a replacable head, but the cost of a head is about 80%
    of ip4000 new... so, it's useless.
    Like you, i learned and i'll rather pay a few extra for original inks.

    How much did you save in that 18 months, by refilling
    instead of using OEM inks? At best you pay about
    $9.50 for OEM inks, your refills probably run about
    $1.50 per fill (at most). That's $8 saved per cartridge minimum. If you
    replace a set every other month you
    saved at least $288.00 over 18 months. You could buy 2 new ip4000 for that
    savings.

    18 months out of a print head for the i550 is not bad at all. We normally
    get about 14 months out of ours.

    I understand the frustration about the print head going bad, but it was not
    intended to last as long as the printer.

    Hope you enjoy the ip4000, I love mine, and also my ip3000, i9900, i850,
    i860, i550 and MP730 printers.

    John Mills
    --
    WeInk.com Technical Support
    Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    Toll Free Orders: 1-800-559-3465
    http://www.weink.com/
    Subscribe to our newsletter and
    get up to 30% off our products
    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    ..

    > How much did you save in that 18 months, by refilling
    > instead of using OEM inks? At best you pay about
    > $9.50 for OEM inks, your refills probably run about
    > $1.50 per fill (at most). That's $8 saved per cartridge minimum. If you
    > replace a set every other month you
    > saved at least $288.00 over 18 months. You could buy 2 new ip4000 for that
    > savings.
    >
    > 18 months out of a print head for the i550 is not bad at all. We normally
    > get about 14 months out of ours.
    >
    > I understand the frustration about the print head going bad, but it was
    > not intended to last as long as the printer.

    Well actually they are and in most cases do. Keep in mind you only hear from
    the small percentage of folks having problems here (not many stop by to say
    "just looking for someone to tell how great my printer is". Another thing to
    remember is that the printhead is covered under warranty, so for the minimal
    cost of the warranty you get at least 3 years out of the printer.

    "Mo" <mmo7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> like refilling...
    >
    > For those who refilled and had Canon printheads fail in 1.5 years.
    > Thinking back, did you "ever" let a cartridge go empty and refill it
    > and have it not print properly until the heads got recharged?
    >
    > If so, you may have damaged the heads since thermal type printers like
    > Canon and HP need ink flowing through the head for cooling. I don't
    > think Epson would have this problem since it use pizeo electric
    > printing.

    Yes the ink is used to cool the printhead as well, but the very limited
    firing during prime of a new tank would not be enough to damage the head.

    T_S wrote:
    > How much did you save in that 18 months, by refilling
    > instead of using OEM inks? At best you pay about
    > $9.50 for OEM inks, your refills probably run about
    > $1.50 per fill (at most). That's $8 saved per cartridge minimum. If
    > you replace a set every other month you
    > saved at least $288.00 over 18 months. You could buy 2 new ip4000 for
    > that savings.

    well, that another point of view...i used 30 ml of each color ink and about
    60 ml of black. I'm not sure, how much of ink gets in one refill...so i
    can't tell how many times i did refill (maybe you can tell ?).

    It takes about 6 cc's to fill the reservoir on an empty BCI-6 tank. At that
    rate you would have done 5 refills.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > It takes about 6 cc's to fill the reservoir on an empty BCI-6 tank.
    > At that rate you would have done 5 refills.

    Aha...thanks for this info.
    It's funny...even i did refill that many times, i never payed attention of
    how much ink i put into it...it's really kinda stupid...
    But still, if i've done 5 refills, i saved 70 USD each time, which comes 360
    USD. Since new iP4000 is just over 200 USD, i still saved...
    Good...i'm relieved.
    It's just...now i decided NOT to refill anymore, and i wonder, if ip4000
    dies after this period, THEN i'll be really pissed off...i really hope it
    won't...

    I hope you didn't pay $200 for the iP4000. Amazon.com has them at $128.99
    with free shipping. When I got mine last week the total price was $118.99.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    > > It takes about 6 cc's to fill the reservoir on an empty BCI-6 tank.
    > > At that rate you would have done 5 refills.
    > >

    > Aha...thanks for this info.
    > It's funny...even i did refill that many times, i never payed attention of
    > how much ink i put into it...it's really kinda stupid...
    > But still, if i've done 5 refills, i saved 70 USD each time, which comes
    360
    > USD. Since new iP4000 is just over 200 USD, i still saved...
    > Good...i'm relieved.
    > It's just...now i decided NOT to refill anymore, and i wonder, if ip4000
    > dies after this period, THEN i'll be really pissed off...i really hope it
    > won't...

    ---

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > I hope you didn't pay $200 for the iP4000. Amazon.com has them at
    > $128.99 with free shipping. When I got mine last week the total price
    > was $118.99.

    True...but i guess this is valid for US...i'm in Europe...

    i just got it...and, as you say, it's great. More quality photos than i550,
    and, what's also good, it does have tray closed sensors, while i550
    doesn't...
    BTW...do you think there's some other app to print to CDR's ? Original just
    doesn't print totally on the inner ring...

    "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I hope you didn't pay $200 for the iP4000. Amazon.com has them at $128.99
    > with free shipping. When I got mine last week the total price was $118.99.

    I got mine at Amazon two weeks ago for 111.99

    The prices seem to bounce all over the place. I also purchased another one
    as a gift for one of my employees in the middle of September and the cost
    was $132.99. Even at a higher cost this printer is a bargain.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    "Ron Z" <Ron@nothanks.com> wrote in message

    > "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > I hope you didn't pay $200 for the iP4000. Amazon.com has them at
    $128.99
    > > with free shipping. When I got mine last week the total price was
    $118.99.

    > I got mine at Amazon two weeks ago for 111.99

    ---
    AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    No they don't last several years.

    We've owned every 4 -color series Think Tank Canon makes and the print heads
    last approximately 5,000 pages of combination text/photo print, which for us
    is about 14 months.

    We've owned every 6 color printer and the heads last around 2,000 pages of
    photos.

    The 5 color print heads fall somewhere in between, but since we've only
    owned the i860 and just got the ip4000 we have not gotten a fix on the page
    life of these heads.

    --
    WeInk.com Technical Support
    Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    Toll Free Orders: 1-800-559-3465
    http://www.weink.com/
    Subscribe to our newsletter and
    get up to 30% off your order.

    > No they don't last several years.
    >
    > We've owned every 4 -color series Think Tank Canon makes and the print heads
    > last approximately 5,000 pages of combination text/photo print, which for us
    > is about 14 months.
    >
    > We've owned every 6 color printer and the heads last around 2,000 pages of
    > photos.
    > --
    > WeInk.com Technical Support

    It probably means we should not use your ink in the Canon?

    - Bob Headrick
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    T_S wrote:
    > No they don't last several years.
    >
    > We've owned every 4 -color series Think Tank Canon makes and the
    > print heads last approximately 5,000 pages of combination text/photo
    > print, which for us is about 14 months.
    >
    > We've owned every 6 color printer and the heads last around 2,000
    > pages of photos.
    >
    > The 5 color print heads fall somewhere in between, but since we've
    > only owned the i860 and just got the ip4000 we have not gotten a fix
    > on the page life of these heads.

    SO, what you're saying is that Canon's die after a year and half or two
    years...?
    What about other printers, like Epson etc..?
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Bob Headrick wrote:
    > "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote in message
    >> No they don't last several years.
    >>
    >> We've owned every 4 -color series Think Tank Canon makes and the
    >> print heads last approximately 5,000 pages of combination text/photo
    >> print, which for us is about 14 months.
    >>
    >> We've owned every 6 color printer and the heads last around 2,000
    >> pages of photos.
    >> --
    >> WeInk.com Technical Support
    >
    > It probably means we should not use your ink in the Canon?

    That's a good question...good indeed...
    i wonder, if anyone did test the longevity of the head with original ink
    only...
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Maybe you shouldn't Bob, since I don't buy your company's (HP) inkjet
    printers.

    I don't know where the idea came from that the print heads are designed for
    the life of the printer.
    I called Canon Support and got the following page yield lifes for their
    print heads @ 5% coverage
    per color.

    4 - color print heads for i850 - 10,000 page yield
    6 - color print heads for i960 - 5,000 page yield

    The 4 -color printer has a estimated duty life of about 50,000 pages
    The 6- color printer has an estimated duty life of about 10,000 pages

    5% coverage is about 1/3 double space 10 point text.

    So I would venture to say that I'm exceeding estimated print head life
    since most of my prints are far more than 5% coverage, averaging about
    15-20% coverage per color

    So what I'm saying is that my using 3rd party inks has had no effect on the
    print head life for me, Bob.

    John Mills
    --
    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "T_S" <devnull@weink.com> wrote in message
    >> No they don't last several years.
    >>
    >> We've owned every 4 -color series Think Tank Canon makes and the print
    >> heads last approximately 5,000 pages of combination text/photo print,
    >> which for us is about 14 months.
    >>
    >> We've owned every 6 color printer and the heads last around 2,000 pages
    >> of photos.
    >> --
    >> WeInk.com Technical Support
    >
    > It probably means we should not use your ink in the Canon?
    >
    > - Bob Headrick

  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:38:12 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    > > I hope you didn't pay $200 for the iP4000. Amazon.com has them at
    > > $128.99 with free shipping. When I got mine last week the total price
    > > was $118.99.
    >
    > True...but i guess this is valid for US...i'm in Europe...

    .... which is about 125 EUR (150 USD, including 16 % tax). See e.g.
    www.geizhalz.at for offers in Austria and Germany

    BTW: warranty is 24 months here - so I doubt that a constructed life
    cycle could be about 15 months.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Martin Trautmann wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:38:12 +0200, SleeperMan wrote:
    >> Ron Cohen wrote:
    >>> I hope you didn't pay $200 for the iP4000. Amazon.com has them at
    >>> $128.99 with free shipping. When I got mine last week the total
    >>> price was $118.99.
    >>
    >> True...but i guess this is valid for US...i'm in Europe...
    >
    > ... which is about 125 EUR (150 USD, including 16 % tax). See e.g.
    > www.geizhalz.at for offers in Austria and Germany
    >
    > BTW: warranty is 24 months here - so I doubt that a constructed life
    > cycle could be about 15 months.

    Damn...i have only 12 months warranty...
    I guess i could find a cheaper dealer, if i'd looked good....maybe next
    time...

Printers Pixma IP Peripherals