ASUS P5LD2-VM Booting Issues

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Hi,

I've got my ASUS P5LD2-VM setup with the bare minimum of components (Video Card, CPU, Ram, CDRom, & Harddrives), and everything plugged up.

When I have my CD-Rom drive hooked up to the ITE IDE controller, and my two harddrives hooked up to the Primary IDE Controller, the BIOS sees everything and my OSLoader comes up. I can boot to either of the Harddrives, but neither works because I'm switching motherboards. This was expected, so I've formatted the main harddrive so I can install windows.

This is where the problem comes into play, when I attempt to boot from CD-Rom I get a problem along the lines of "Error, Please insert bootable media. Hit space to try again" this continues on & on, even when trying various bootable items.

SO, I've had almost this exact same problem in the past with my P5GD2-Premium, and so after looking at the manual I followed their suggestions and swapped the CD-ROM drive onto the Primary IDE Controller and pute the Two HD's on the ITE IDE controller.

Now the system is able to boot from CD, however it doesnt see any harddrives in the installation menu.

I've also tried putting a Hard-drive right after the CD-Rom on the Primary IDE Controller, but then I lose the ability to boot from CD-Rom (It gives me the error message stated earlier).

I'm thinking I may need to install RAID controllers to allow Windows to see the harddrives in the installation menu, however BIOS only shows the Cd-ROM drive when the CD-Rom is bootable.

Help is much appreciated. :)

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Okay Fixed, basically when I had the CD-ROM on the ITE IDE Controller it didn't view it as a CD-Rom, but another mass storage device.

Placed Optical Drive & One HD on Primary IDE Controller and rebooted, this time around everything went great.

xenoxy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hey Dark,

I recently had the same issue with this board and i found that teh only way for it to work is with One hardrive as the master and then the cd-rom as the slave on the primary ide(the blue one, not the red one) Even though bios detects it, you are not able to use the ITE IDE until you install the drivers off the motherboard driver disk in your OS.. its really odd, but thats how i got mine up and running.

general2000vn

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I Have a similar problem.

Mother Board: ASUS P5LD2
2 ATA HDD.
1 SATA.
1 DVD.

If I hook one of ATA HDD with IDE controller (Blue one), can't pass POST, error: ATAPI Primary Master Drive incompatible

If I hook ATA HDDs with ITE controller and DVD with IDE controller, the HDDS are not detected during boot, and there was warning that " ... DMA device is connected ...., the speed will be lower to DMA 33..." (something like that, the message is cleared so fast anyway).

All the drives are in good condition. They just don't work together on this new ASUS P5LD2 mother board

Any suggestion? Any help is appriciated.

Regard,
Anh Tran.

leogoldseed

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I have the same problem, although with a different ASUS motherboard. However thwe solution seems to be the same. I went in the BIOS and added the boot drive DVD RAM on the list, even though it did not list it on the Drives scren on the BIOS. It started to boot from the DVD Drive, but when I started installing windows it gave me an error message. WHen I had the DVD Druive on the Primary IDE it did not. It
s just so frustrating. I would for xenoxy to expand on the solution he proposed / I have two Hard Drives (IDE) and one DVD Drive IDE as well.

Chan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2004
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. Did you find out how to solved this?
PS I have just replaced my motherboard with P5GD2 and tried to use my old HDD and DVD/CD. I have problem with getting the BIOS to find the boot drive and the DVD/CD.

regards Chan

leogoldseed

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I finally had to replace the DVD Burner that I had for anotehr one. It's seems that it's very sensitive about compatibility. I had to get one Generic DVD ROM and then it worked and has been working fine evr since. Every once in a while it gives me an error message, but nothing seriours that a reboot couldn't fix. I hear a lot of pelple having similar problems.

Chan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2004
Finally I did find a way to connect the HDD and DVD/CD. Now it is reconized in BIOS setting and WinXP. (But not when the PC are booting Disk 0: not reconized etc ).

My solution was:
I connected the HDD and DVD/CD together on the same HDD cable bundled with ASUS motherboard. AND my old settings of jumpers on the HDD and DVD/CD had to be changed. Jumpers on DVD/CD was set to Cable select and I changed it to Slave. HDD jumpers was set to Master. I connected the cable to the blue color PRI_IDE1 connector.
Then I was able to installing drivers, utilities and upgrading BOIS from the internett. My lessons is - don't take anything for granted.

After BIOS upgrade I now get a failure when booting - "Intel CPU uCode loading error". I can "Resume" by hit F1. But this is an another story.