Building a computer...need helpz

Domun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
Havent posted on this board for about a month...

Have a better idea of what Im going to build and what for...

Ill be honest I havent built a computer for a few years(since high school) ....and was wondering if anyone new any sites with helpful guides/tutorials in doing so

I have a general idea of how to but I may invest quite alot of money in thsi computer and dont want to ruin it !

As far as parts goes Im yet a little undecided in which is better in terms of video card

I hear AMD processors are the must you need to have nowadays....nothing but great remarks I heard about them unlike pentium =/

As for video card...

Well I liked the idea of getting an ATI crossfire setup because for one I hear the dual card performance is better than that of nvidia's SLI plus...its nice to be able to use a 800xt and then throw in a crossfire edition for additional video support if needed(guess you can do the same with an sli setup as well)

Im a bit of a heavy gamer/multitasker

I hear that with an SLI you have to reboot two enable/disable sli

with crossfire you go through the driver software

Then again 2 7800gts is really sick in terms of performance I suppose =/

I invest alot of time on the computer and would like to be able to run the fastest hardware I can without making my desk into a workstation :x

The less time you spend loading,lagging,freezing,etc the better!

For hard drive was looking to get one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822116150

Not that big on HUGE hard drives might bump it up to a 70gb one tho I doubt it somewhat

For ram was looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146562

As for sound card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102191

Any help/opinions is greatly appreciated!

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Well if you want stock performance for what you listed i would say do this...

4800+ X2

DFI SLI-DR

2GB OCZ RAM (low latency ones)

7800GTx2 or 7800GTXx2

The SCSI drive would be nice i guess if you want to do that.....

sound care is very expsensive and unless you record you can downgrade a notch withut losing anything

500W FSP, Enermax, PC power & cooling, or Silverstone, sparkle, and a few others....I can give you an exact one i would reccomend if you want.

This setup only needs a case, optical, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers....but most if not all can be reused if you want.

If you want to overclock you can get beyond this performance for about 1/2-2/3rds the cost.

RamaX

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
You can see all the great advice and links on my Dell VS Build My Own thread here if you want, i got some great suggetions from everyone here.

One thing i noticed when it came to sound cards, the one you picked has only a 96khz sample rate, for that kind of cabbage i dont see why you shouldnt shoot for something with 192. When i was looking at sound i was looking for 192, but i may SETTLE for 96 mostly because i found a nice Turtle beach one that has dig optical input as well as output, which i was looking for in particular, but i still am not 100% sold. Just a sugg, but for the amount you are willing to pay for sound, you may want to consider 192. Depends i suppose if you are going to ever record in to your PC, thats where youll gain the adv.
Also id ask similar thing other guy did, doyou have a reason for wanting SCSI..? After SATA and now theres SATA3gb & RAID arrays (standard on quite a few mobos), i gave up on the idea of SCSI. Yes the seek times and latency are still quite a bit better,but boy oh boy do you pay. I would think for near your price you could RAID 0 an SATA3gb for 250 gigs of space instead of 36.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
If you want to go hardcore on a powersupply i would get this, I dont think you would EVER have to buy a new one unless they come out with a new ATX plug standard besides the 20 and 24pin config.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI

That thing is so badass it has 650W peak power and a 510W of Guaranteed power youd be able to power anything on earth with this little guy. Anyways enough being a sales guy lmao. But there realy sweet.

Tell us what you decide on once you know...

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
If you want to go hardcore on a powersupply i would get this, I dont think you would EVER have to buy a new one unless they come out with a new ATX plug standard besides the 20 and 24pin config.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI

Tell us what you decide on once you know...

I want to first say that is one of the best PSU's i know of.....no doubt it is a great performance PSU.

BUT does someone REALLY need to spend $220 for a psu? No.

A solid brand (silverstone, enermax, FSP, OCZ modstream) 550W would be perfect and abuot half the cost.

I guess its the cheap bastard in me....but its like putting octane 97 in a stock for mustang. Its overkill....some machines need higher fuel, but for the rest its overkill...lol

(I would love to be able to get what you linked to....but i dont know that i could unless i wanted to power a WC'ing kit from it as well...[/cheap bastard])