computer freezes

raging_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Ok, a friend of mine owns an auto repair facility, and he is having problems with his computer that he does his alignments with.
When the weather is cold the computer acts up. It freezes, or it won't respond. But when it is warm the computer runs normally.
What I was thinking to solve this is add a smaller heatsink with a fan sensor so it will adjust the temperature or I can add a faster processor. The computer is mostly running at idle for a long period of time before it is used.
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention before my friend fixes my car a discounted price so I'm not looking to mess anything up.

I have been fixing computers for over 4years so i'm resonably knowlegdable in how everything works.

The computer is 5years old.

Should I fix it or just leave it alone?

RichPLS

Champion
5 years old sounds like to me end of line for PC components, and conditions in a garage are generally worse than in a home or business, so I would be hesitant in my business to throw much moner or effort to a 5 year old cruncher, and look towards a new one.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's a strange problem... Cooler temps won't hurt the processor, so don't bother to switch to a smaller HSF. All I can think of that the cold could impact would be the hard drive bearings or something like that. Perhaps condensation is an issue if there are temperature extremes in the garage.

I've got computers in my garage and they all run better in the cold of winter! I agree with the other poster... the hardware is getting pretty old and tired.