deleting a partition and reinstalling win2000

I've done this sort of stuff with win98 using fdisk but I'm clueless with
win2000. Currently I have 2 partitions on the hard drive and only win2000
installed. I'd like to delete the partition so the hard drive acts only as
one. Then I'd like to do a new install of win2000 starting from scratch and
not saving anything. How do I do this?

Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about deleting partition reinstalling win2000

    When you plop the W2K install cd in the pc and boot of it, at the early
    stage of the install routine you will be given the option to delete and
    recreate partitions, just read and follow the information on the screen,
    it's pretty straightforward. You should exit the install routine after
    you delete and create partitions, then start installing again. This
    will avoid drive letter assigment mishaps and have windows install on C:
    drive instead of another.

    Or, about the easiest way to do it if you want to prepare the disk
    before installing Windows, use delpart.exe and delete all the partitions
    then use fdisk to create 1 new partition. When you install W2K it will
    format the partition, you just need to decide if you want fat32 or NTFS
    file system. Delpart is available here:
    http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm It's only about 120kb or so in
    size.

    John

    tuuf wrote:

    > I've done this sort of stuff with win98 using fdisk but I'm clueless with
    > win2000. Currently I have 2 partitions on the hard drive and only win2000
    > installed. I'd like to delete the partition so the hard drive acts only as
    > one. Then I'd like to do a new install of win2000 starting from scratch and
    > not saving anything. How do I do this?
    >
    > Mike
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thank you very much John. I just have 1 more question. Can the delpart.exe
    file be used with any operating system or is this a tool just for NT?

    "John John" wrote:

    > When you plop the W2K install cd in the pc and boot of it, at the early
    > stage of the install routine you will be given the option to delete and
    > recreate partitions, just read and follow the information on the screen,
    > it's pretty straightforward. You should exit the install routine after
    > you delete and create partitions, then start installing again. This
    > will avoid drive letter assigment mishaps and have windows install on C:
    > drive instead of another.
    >
    > Or, about the easiest way to do it if you want to prepare the disk
    > before installing Windows, use delpart.exe and delete all the partitions
    > then use fdisk to create 1 new partition. When you install W2K it will
    > format the partition, you just need to decide if you want fat32 or NTFS
    > file system. Delpart is available here:
    > http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm It's only about 120kb or so in
    > size.
    >
    > John
    >
    > tuuf wrote:
    >
    > > I've done this sort of stuff with win98 using fdisk but I'm clueless with
    > > win2000. Currently I have 2 partitions on the hard drive and only win2000
    > > installed. I'd like to delete the partition so the hard drive acts only as
    > > one. Then I'd like to do a new install of win2000 starting from scratch and
    > > not saving anything. How do I do this?
    > >
    > > Mike

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    It's a DOS tool. Boot the pc with a W98 Boot Disk (available at
    bootdisk.com if you don't have one) and run delpart.exe while in DOS.
    Delpart.exe has to be on a floppy. Typically the boot disks from
    bootdisk.com are crammed full so you might not be able to put
    delpart.exe on it, just copy it to another diskette. While in DOS plop
    the diskette in the drive and when you are a the A:> prompt just type
    delpart or delpart.exe and hit enter. When you're done with delpart
    remove the diskette and reinsert the W98 boot disk then type fdisk and
    recreate the partition(s) as you want them. Do you need info on fdisk
    or are you familiar with it? If you need info look here:

    http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm and a simulation here:
    http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk1.htm

    Or search Microsoft.com for fdisk. Delpart will remove any partition on
    the hard disk. Fdisk can also remove NTFS partitions but sometimes you
    can get caught up in a logical drive loop and fdisk can't remove the
    partitions, delpart overcomes that problem.

    John

    tuuf wrote:

    > Thank you very much John. I just have 1 more question. Can the delpart.exe
    > file be used with any operating system or is this a tool just for NT?
    >
    > "John John" wrote:
    >

    >>When you plop the W2K install cd in the pc and boot of it, at the early
    >>stage of the install routine you will be given the option to delete and
    >>recreate partitions, just read and follow the information on the screen,
    >>it's pretty straightforward. You should exit the install routine after
    >>you delete and create partitions, then start installing again. This
    >>will avoid drive letter assigment mishaps and have windows install on C:
    >>drive instead of another.
    >>
    >>Or, about the easiest way to do it if you want to prepare the disk
    >>before installing Windows, use delpart.exe and delete all the partitions
    >>then use fdisk to create 1 new partition. When you install W2K it will
    >>format the partition, you just need to decide if you want fat32 or NTFS
    >>file system. Delpart is available here:
    >>http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm It's only about 120kb or so in
    >>size.
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>tuuf wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've done this sort of stuff with win98 using fdisk but I'm clueless with
    >>>win2000. Currently I have 2 partitions on the hard drive and only win2000
    >>>installed. I'd like to delete the partition so the hard drive acts only as
    >>>one. Then I'd like to do a new install of win2000 starting from scratch and
    >>>not saving anything. How do I do this?
    >>>
    >>>Mike

Partition Hard Drives Microsoft Windows