Slow speed on wireless

I have Comcast cable - 4000 kbps when hard-wired from a LinkSys Cable modem
(BEFCMU10) to a LinkSys Router (BEFW11S4) to my desktop computer. I also
have a LinkSys signal booster (WSB24) connected to the router, but probably
don't need it.

Problem: on my laptop, one time I got 350 kbps, but most times times I get
much slower. Today I clocked it several times at between 50 - 150 kbps.

Why can't I get close to the 4000 kbps that my hard-wired desktop gets?

My laptop (HP Tablet PC 1100) has an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection, and all settings are at default. My signal strength is
excellent (11.0 Mbps). On another laptop (Gateway), speeds are also slow:
typically 50 - 100 kbps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Malke

Robert M. Lincoln wrote:

> I have Comcast cable - 4000 kbps when hard-wired from a LinkSys Cable
> modem
> (BEFCMU10) to a LinkSys Router (BEFW11S4) to my desktop computer. I
> also have a LinkSys signal booster (WSB24) connected to the router,
> but probably don't need it.
>
> Problem: on my laptop, one time I got 350 kbps, but most times times
> I get
> much slower. Today I clocked it several times at between 50 - 150
> kbps.
>
> Why can't I get close to the 4000 kbps that my hard-wired desktop
> gets?
>
> My laptop (HP Tablet PC 1100) has an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network
> Connection, and all settings are at default. My signal strength is
> excellent (11.0 Mbps). On another laptop (Gateway), speeds are also
> slow: typically 50 - 100 kbps.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Try removing the signal booster from the setup and see if that makes a
difference.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

I just did that - and then I tested. I initially got around 2000 kbps, and
thought that was the solution.

I've just done some more tests and now I'm in the range of 100 - 250 kbps
for download and 350 kbps for upload.

I've used DrTCP to adjust my RcvWin setting. It put it around 64000 (I have
WinXP). I'm still at 100 - 250 kbps for download speed, 350 kbps for
upload.

Malke

Robert M. Lincoln wrote:

> I just did that - and then I tested. I initially got around 2000
> kbps, and thought that was the solution.
>
> I've just done some more tests and now I'm in the range of 100 - 250
> kbps for download and 350 kbps for upload.
>
> I've used DrTCP to adjust my RcvWin setting. It put it around 64000
> (I have
> WinXP). I'm still at 100 - 250 kbps for download speed, 350 kbps for
> upload.

Then the next step is to connect directly to the modem. If you still get
slow speed connected directly to the modem on all machines with new
cate5e cables, then call the ISP again. OTOH, if you find that just one
machine is slow directly connected to the modem (with a new cable),
then swap out the nic on that box.

Malke