Sign in with
Your question

First Gaming Comp.

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2005 9:17:31 PM

Well i've been posting this in quite alot of forums recently but i think this one probably has the most hardware-savvy people on the net so here goes.

Case: Aspire X-CRUISE mid-tower ATX Case
CPU: AMD Antlon 3500+ CPU
Graphics Card: eVGA 7800GT 256MB PCI-e
MoBo: Asus A8N SLi Premium Motherboard
PSU: Antec TRUEPOWER II 480WATT psu
RAM: Corsair Value-Select 2x512mb RAM
CD/DVD-Drive: SAMSUNG Black IDE Combo Drive OEM
Hard Drive: Seagate 160gb SATA OEM

All will probably be bought from newegg.com

any comments suggestions are welcome

maybe about a month or two after building the computer i plan to get a Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card.

More about : gaming comp

December 11, 2005 11:33:09 PM

this has some overkill problem

first what is your budget? I guess around 1000+, right?

I only see one GPU so why a SLI mobo, and an expensive one at that? For value mobo get the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2(very underrated board) or Chaintech VNF4. Something better is the Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra. Now if you OC, then get the DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra.

The A64 3500+ is not the best price/performance CPU. Either downgrade to 3200+(save you 50 bucks) and do a slight OC, or go for the 3700+(70 bucks more) and have 1mb of cache. If you wanna take a hit today, get the X2 3800 and you will be prepared for the future.

personally I would get the 3200+ and put the 50 bucks toward this ram. The timing is way tighter (2-2-2-6) and it is only $119

Other than that you look fine
December 12, 2005 4:09:59 AM

Ya i agree with the person above me you got a nice setup going but if you run one 7800 you dont need the asus sli board. But another thing Dont get a badass system like that and then spend 80$ on ram. Bad timings are going to hurt your fps trust me.

My ram (OCZ Gold Series 2x512) is Realy fast plus it has warrenty for overclocking up to 230mhz i believe and 3.2Volts. Plus it has super tight timeings 2-2-2-5 T1 .
You can still get it from newegg i believe. another pointer, use Fedex cause ups sucks they leave packages infront of your door without even ringing etc, if you dont believe me check like 70% of the reviews.
Related resources
December 12, 2005 10:13:37 AM

Quote:
I only see one GPU so why a SLI mobo, and an expensive one at that? For value mobo get the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2(very underrated board) or Chaintech VNF4. Something better is the Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra. Now if you OC, then get the DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra.

Do you read reviews or just randomly spew stuff?

First off NEVER EVER EVER send a new OC'er home with a DIF board...It OC like a champion. If you don't know why....THEN SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING!!

2ndly saying the EPoX is better then the chaintech is correct, but infering it can't OC is wrong. ITS A GREAT OC'er and its perfect for a new OC'er. (btw the chaintech does OC pretty well too....so don't talk down about it)

I agree with both you and shata....if you are getting one card dont but an SLI board. and you wont want to upgrade with another card in SLI....i have typed why about 15times today...check all other threads, or just trust me.

*****Shata******
you are right, the VX gold is the Sheezy...i have a set...LOVE IT!!! but its about budget. Value ram is good if you have a limited budget and doesn' hurt your fps that much.

The higher the speeds the more it matters. So when you OC it matters a lot bu at stock speeds a 1GB kit of value ram is good. Its better to have 1GB of value ram then quicker ram with a lesser gpu....which i know we both agree on.

But yes....if you can get some lower timing ram in your budget, do it. But dont cut costs with the gpu, or spu to come up with the scrilla(money).

(i used to work for UPS....you should see the stuff we did in the warehouse....leaving stuff at the door, thats nothing :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  )
December 12, 2005 10:17:51 AM

The best option for the new OCer is the Abit AN8 with Uguru. The VNF4 Ultra can OC like a beast, but it takes a lot of slow, patient work to get it there.
December 12, 2005 10:27:23 AM

Quote:
The best option for the new OCer is the Abit AN8 with Uguru. The VNF4 Ultra can OC like a beast, but it takes a lot of slow, patient work to get it there.

Shouldn't this reply be for Godly....not me?

I know this....i was jus saying the EPoX is a better choice then the DFI for a n00b....lol I would pay to see a n00b OC'ing on a DFI board.

and yes the VNF4 OC's very well too...i scolded Goldy for that. it takes alittle more time and patience and isn't a top of the line OC'er but it gets very very good gains.
December 12, 2005 10:30:37 AM

Replying to this:
Quote:
ITS A GREAT OC'er and its perfect for a new OC'er. (btw the chaintech does OC pretty well too....so don't talk down about it)

I read that as saying the VNF4 Ultra was perfect for a new OCer.
December 12, 2005 10:54:33 AM

NOt perfect for a new OC'er but i felt Godly was talking down about the VNF4 like it is just a cheap board that doesn't OC.

Its not perfect for a newbie OC'er but its not a DFI board either.

I would rank these 4 as.....Abit, EpoX, Chaintech, DFI.....for a newbie to OC'ing. Abit is way head and DFI is so far behind its not even really in the race. epox and chaintech are close as a 2/3 situation for me.
December 12, 2005 10:57:07 AM

Would have to agree on all but the DFI. I wouldn't even classify it as a board for a new OCer...
December 12, 2005 11:02:11 AM

Well technically a new OC'er could use ANY board and try to OC.....so it would have to TECHNICALLY be in the race....lol
December 12, 2005 6:53:12 PM

Smartass. I wouldn't consider recommending it for a neb OCer <--That better?!
December 13, 2005 12:31:33 AM

Quote:
Smartass. I wouldn't consider recommending it for a neb OCer <--That better?!

I would....if they were a cocky smartass and i wanted to watch someones head explode.
!