Demoting NT4 DC to a member server

I'm in progress of migrating from NT4 to Server 2003 for a new client.
Currently, the NT4 serveris the PDC. The NT4 server must also stay on the
network after the migration due to a few older telephony apps. Once these
apps are addressed by the appropriate vendor the NT4 server will go away.
However, this may take a while.

The domain is being recreated & renamed due to company changes.

Ideally, I'd like to demote the NT4 server to a member server and join it to
the new domain.

I've come across a utility called UPromote. Has anyone used this?
Successfully? Reinstalling the NT4 server is not an option due to the
telephony apps and bad backups.

Has anyone used another utility or know of a way to successfully demote the
NT4 server?

Many thanks for any information.
:)

I also needed to retain our NT server (PDC) when we went to AD. I just left
it as it was and setup a two trust with the new AD domain. Then added the
various AD users to the various NT Groups.Things have been just peachy.

--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.
"dmlw96" <dmlw96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm in progress of migrating from NT4 to Server 2003 for a new client.
> Currently, the NT4 serveris the PDC. The NT4 server must also stay on the
> network after the migration due to a few older telephony apps. Once these
> apps are addressed by the appropriate vendor the NT4 server will go away.
> However, this may take a while.
>
> The domain is being recreated & renamed due to company changes.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to demote the NT4 server to a member server and join it
> the new domain.
>
> I've come across a utility called UPromote. Has anyone used this?
> Successfully? Reinstalling the NT4 server is not an option due to the
> telephony apps and bad backups.
>
> Has anyone used another utility or know of a way to successfully demote
> the
> NT4 server?
>
> Many thanks for any information.
> :)

I have used Upromote several times without any issues. Of course it is not
supported by MS and the only other way is to reinstall.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+