Can I use a Mobo with a different chipset?

Scaryfast

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I currently have an Albatron KX18DS Pro nVidia 400 Socket A Mobo running an Athlon XP 2700+ CPU. About two weeks ago, I lost all communication with anything USB related. Scanner, MP3 player, Digital Camera, Game Controllers - nothing gets recognized. I went to the Microsoft XP website and went through their checks and uninstalled the USB drivers and rebooted which automatically reinstalled them...still nothing. So, I'm assuming my motherboard has issues. We did have some power interuptions and even though I have everything plugged into surge protectors, I'm thinking that that's what caused it. The computer is also now shutting down out of the blue...

So, my predicament is I'm having a hard time finding Socket A boards with nVidia 400 chipsets that aren't just getting SLAMMED on their reviews. There are several Via KT880 boards (that chipset runs Dual Channel memory - which I have a Dual Channel Corsair ValueSelect set of 2 512MB PC3200 DDR400 sticks) so I'd like to keep the Dual Channel capabilities.

I've heard that there are issues when switching from a board with nVidia chipsets to Via. Is there a problem with that?

Does anybody have any ideas as to why I'm having these problems OTHER than the Mobo is injured?

Thanks for your time.

pat

Expert
Those interruption could have put too much stress on the PSU or the mobo itself. Power surge protector is good for surge, but for repetitive on and off, it takes an UPS to regularize the flow of current. If it is something frequent in your area, then you should consider getting an UPS.

While socket A mobo are rather hard to find now, and CPU being all but not cheap. If you could sell your old CPU and get a newer A64 mobo and CPU. There is not much difference in price for motherboard and if you are on budget, socket 754 Sempron 64 are a really good valu right now.

Going from one chipset to another would probably means a reapir or a fresh install of Windows.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Screw reviews and get the old Abit NF7-S. Every NF7-S since around 2002 has used the 400 chipset even though it's not properly documented. The chances of you getting a pre-2002 motherboard from any reputable vender are nearly zero.

Epox has a nice one too, but I can't remember the model number.

TRENDING THREADS