Sign in with
Your question

Annoyed with Dell...again

Last response: in Windows 7
March 12, 2011 6:00:33 PM

Hello Everybody...
So why can't Dell be like 99% of the rest of the computer world? On several of their laptops, they do not have a Caps Lock Light. Instead, they rely on the small Windows 7 lcon which pops up in the lower right corner of the screen..."CAPS LOCK: ON" or "CAPS LOCK: OFF". This to me is really annoying, especially when trying to log into a secure web site, and you only get three chances or your locked out of the system. OK, I'm through venting.
Question:
Is there a way to make the icon stay on, instead of disappearing after a few seconds. Having the notice stay on would be acceptable, that way I know with a glance that Caps Lock is on.
Thanks
Charles

More about : annoyed dell

a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2011 7:28:45 PM

Chances are that it probably isn't possible, as it is a Dell software issue, not a Windows issue. I do understand your frustration though, as it can be tough to get used to it after you have been used to the light on the keyboard for ages.
m
l
March 13, 2011 8:58:07 PM

buwish said:
Chances are that it probably isn't possible, as it is a Dell software issue, not a Windows issue. I do understand your frustration though, as it can be tough to get used to it after you have been used to the light on the keyboard for ages.

Ive found several free applications which install icons in the system tray, these fulfill the problem of wondering if caps and number lock is on or not with out having to constantly press the keys. The one I like the best is:

http://www.karpolan.com/SOFTWARE/KEYBOARD-LEDS/

It seems to have more options, and is more stable than the other two I tried. Anyway, my problem is now solved with the addition of this helpful app.
Thanks for the reply
Charles
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2011 6:25:38 PM

What's your system model? We could take a look at some tech sheets spread on the web.
m
l
March 14, 2011 10:55:23 PM

M11x model
m
l
March 15, 2011 5:01:53 AM

Alienware... Ok, I'll check that out for you.
m
l
!