NT - XP home share drive

I have a think pad note book runing NT, it does not have a cd rom. I would
like to connect it the CD Rom on my desk top that is running XP HOME threw
a HUB. What are the steps I need to do.
Thank you

You'll want to create an account (in User Accounts) on the WinXP machine
with the username and password that you use to logon to the Windows NT
machine with. Likewise you'll need to create an account (in User Manager) on
the NT machine with the username and password that you use to logon to the
XP machine with. Then you'll need to share out the resource(s) with
permissions for those users. Also make sure they're all part of the same
workgroup and on the same subnet. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the
IPC$ password (Inter-process communication)

In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
NT/2000/XP/2003 machine, Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 needs to authenticate the
user. If the user account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then
access will be denied.

Also turn off the XP firewall and enable NetBIOS over tcp/ip on XP machine.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bluebill" wrote:
|I have a think pad note book runing NT, it does not have a cd rom. I would
| like to connect it the CD Rom on my desk top that is running XP HOME
threw
| a HUB. What are the steps I need to do.
| Thank you

I can not find a user manager on the NT machine. I used help, clicked on the
arrow to start user manager and got a pop up "cannot find or run the file or
program "musmgr.exe.

A couple years ago I did this in my office I was thinking i did it a
different way. I could only see the CD drive but that is all i need.

Thank you

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You'll want to create an account (in User Accounts) on the WinXP machine
> with the username and password that you use to logon to the Windows NT
> machine with. Likewise you'll need to create an account (in User Manager) on
> the NT machine with the username and password that you use to logon to the
> XP machine with. Then you'll need to share out the resource(s) with
> permissions for those users. Also make sure they're all part of the same
> workgroup and on the same subnet. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the
> IPC$ password (Inter-process communication)
>
> In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
> NT/2000/XP/2003 machine, Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 needs to authenticate the
> user. If the user account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then
> access will be denied.
>
> Also turn off the XP firewall and enable NetBIOS over tcp/ip on XP machine.
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Bluebill" wrote:
> |I have a think pad note book runing NT, it does not have a cd rom. I would
> | like to connect it the CD Rom on my desk top that is running XP HOME
> threw
> | a HUB. What are the steps I need to do.
> | Thank you

Start|Programs|Administrative Tools|User Manager
or
%systemroot%\system32\musmgr.exe

If it's missing you can expand a new copy from your Windows NT install
CD-Rom