Multiple Mapped Drives

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 14, 2005 4:51:26 PM

Anyone know why in Windows NT it wants to map the same resources multiple
times. exp. g:\server\project - h:\server\project - i:\server\clerical -
j:\server\clerical?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

More about : multiple mapped drives

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:12:50 PM

Turn off find fast.....

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
"R. Hayden" <rhayden6@hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:o il2r8sEFHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Anyone know why in Windows NT it wants to map the same resources multiple
> times. exp. g:\server\project - h:\server\project - i:\server\clerical -
> j:\server\clerical?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:34:42 PM

Scott,

It never has been turned on or is it defaulted to on? When I double click
on the Find Fast icon in the control panel it is asking for a Frontpage 2000
disc. ????

Rick

"Scott Harding" <scrockel@NO_SPAM_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 7nbhotEFHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Turn off find fast.....
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> "R. Hayden" <rhayden6@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> news:o il2r8sEFHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Anyone know why in Windows NT it wants to map the same resources multiple
>> times. exp. g:\server\project - h:\server\project - i:\server\clerical -
>> j:\server\clerical?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:51:45 AM

First you might take a look at any shortcuts that any users have (may not
necessarily be on the desktop, search the drive for *.LNK), they may have
targets pointing to mapped drives. If you index a drive that contains
shortcuts that specify a target location that uses a network drive letter
instead of a UNC path under Windows NT, then a shortcut with a target path
that contains a drive letter is resolved, Windows NT maps the shortcut to a
logical drive. This is the cause for the multiple mappings. Change the
targets to UNC names and the problem should go away. Alternately you can
disable FindFast. You can go into Control Panel|FindFast and delete-indexes
then close-and-stop. Then remove it from the Startup dir.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]