Sign in with
Your question

Possible to use more than 2 PATA HDD with 2 ROMS?

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2005 1:50:19 AM

I know each IDE cable supports 2 equipments. I now have 2 roms on 1 IDE cable and 2 HDD on 1 IDE cable. Are there any IDE cables that can support more than 2 equpiments?

More about : pata hdd roms

December 12, 2005 2:17:58 AM

no
December 12, 2005 4:10:56 AM

If you have four USB connections (two in front & two in the back), you can add four external USB hard drives. If not, you can get an adapter and daisy chain all the USB drives you want to set up on your USB port in the back. Do a search on USB drives to acquire the info you need to do this.

I'm making the assumption that was the thrust of your question - you want to run more drives. If this is so, you should change the drive letter of your CD-Rom to at least "M" to make room for the additions.
Related resources
December 12, 2005 4:59:24 AM

Not possible. You can however buy a SATA or PATA PCI controller card. However, I would not recommend this unless it's absolutely necessary. UltraATA PCI cards are very slow and have the habit of consuming the entire system's processing power when in use.

I know this 'cause I did it once.

Everytime my PC (this was years ago w/ a 1.4Ghz AMD Athlon) used the CDROM on my PCI UltraATA 133 controller... it pretty much froze up until it was done. I eventually just disconnected it. Damned slow PCI bus...

Thank god PCI-E is here.

-mpjesse
December 12, 2005 5:06:47 AM

Ya i cant see needing more then 2 ide and 2 sata (which most pcs have) i mean thats like 1.2TB @300gigs a drive Who wants more then 500gigs for crying out load.. i can barely fill my 200 gig.
December 12, 2005 12:52:34 PM

Quote:
If you have four USB connections (two in front & two in the back), you can add four external USB hard drives. If not, you can get an adapter and daisy chain all the USB drives you want to set up on your USB port in the back. Do a search on USB drives to acquire the info you need to do this.

I'm making the assumption that was the thrust of your question - you want to run more drives. If this is so, you should change the drive letter of your CD-Rom to at least "M" to make room for the additions.

That I know. I have 2 USB hdd and one DVD burner added to those in my box. But his question was
Quote:
Are there any IDE cables that can support more than 2 equpiments?

and my answer is still no
December 12, 2005 12:57:01 PM

Quote:
Ya i cant see needing more then 2 ide and 2 sata (which most pcs have) i mean thats like 1.2TB @300gigs a drive Who wants more then 500gigs for crying out load.. i can barely fill my 200 gig.

I do. I have 890 Gigs of HDD here.. Once you start to play with movies and video editing, you'll need HDD space for storage..

When you do an editing project, you don't want to delete any created files, from the capture files to the final ISO files for HDD. Because if, while watching the DVD, you find one glitch, then you won't have to start the project all over. And if your working on more than 1 or 2 project at the time, then your 200 gigs will be full in not so long.
!