RPC server is unavailable

My NT 4.0 server (SP6a) is not retaining any printer settings and when I try
to re-install them, I get the:

"RPC server is unavailable".

I have replaced the Spoolss.exe and Spoolss.dll files but the problem
remains. When I look at the RPC services, they are still running and set to
automatic. If I try to re-apply the latest service pack (as the technet
article recommends) I will lose my system since so many hotfixes have been
installed since then (how do I know this? It happened on a BDC of mine).

Is there anything else that I can do to fix the problem?

Is the Spooler service started or set to "Automatic"? If not try
starting or setting it to auto.

John

Carl Gross wrote:
> My NT 4.0 server (SP6a) is not retaining any printer settings and when I try
> to re-install them, I get the:
>
> "RPC server is unavailable".
>
> I have replaced the Spoolss.exe and Spoolss.dll files but the problem
> remains. When I look at the RPC services, they are still running and set to
> automatic. If I try to re-apply the latest service pack (as the technet
> article recommends) I will lose my system since so many hotfixes have been
> installed since then (how do I know this? It happened on a BDC of mine).
>
> Is there anything else that I can do to fix the problem?

From what I can see, the service never stops. And it is always set to
automatic. So I can't see what other avaenue to go from.

"John John" wrote:

> Is the Spooler service started or set to "Automatic"? If not try
> starting or setting it to auto.
>
> John
>
> Carl Gross wrote:
> > My NT 4.0 server (SP6a) is not retaining any printer settings and when I try
> > to re-install them, I get the:
> >
> > "RPC server is unavailable".
> >
> > I have replaced the Spoolss.exe and Spoolss.dll files but the problem
> > remains. When I look at the RPC services, they are still running and set to
> > automatic. If I try to re-apply the latest service pack (as the technet
> > article recommends) I will lose my system since so many hotfixes have been
> > installed since then (how do I know this? It happened on a BDC of mine).
> >
> > Is there anything else that I can do to fix the problem?

Any errors showing up in the event log?

John

Carl Gross wrote:
> From what I can see, the service never stops. And it is always set to
> automatic. So I can't see what other avaenue to go from.
>
> "John John" wrote:
>

>>Is the Spooler service started or set to "Automatic"? If not try
>>starting or setting it to auto.
>>
>>John
>>
>>Carl Gross wrote:
>>
>>>My NT 4.0 server (SP6a) is not retaining any printer settings and when I try
>>>to re-install them, I get the:
>>>
>>>"RPC server is unavailable".
>>>
>>>I have replaced the Spoolss.exe and Spoolss.dll files but the problem
>>>remains. When I look at the RPC services, they are still running and set to
>>>automatic. If I try to re-apply the latest service pack (as the technet
>>>article recommends) I will lose my system since so many hotfixes have been
>>>installed since then (how do I know this? It happened on a BDC of mine).
>>>
>>>Is there anything else that I can do to fix the problem?

No. Just the aforementioned dialog that pops up on the screen.
"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Any errors showing up in the event log?
>
> John
>
> Carl Gross wrote:
> > From what I can see, the service never stops. And it is always set to
> > automatic. So I can't see what other avaenue to go from.
> >
> > "John John" wrote:
> >

> >>Is the Spooler service started or set to "Automatic"? If not try
> >>starting or setting it to auto.
> >>
> >>John

I try

Hmmmm. Well, I don't really have any ideas or fixes to suggest. You
might get a clue here:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7324

Maybe completely removing the printer might help?

Other than that all avenues seem to lead to that dreaded reinstalling
the Service Pack.

John

Carl Gross wrote:

> No. Just the aforementioned dialog that pops up on the screen.
> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Any errors showing up in the event log?
>>
>>John
>>
>>Carl Gross wrote:
>>
>>>From what I can see, the service never stops. And it is always set to
>>>automatic. So I can't see what other avaenue to go from.

> I try

> set to

> technet

> been

> mine).

PS: Some print expert in the
news://msnews.microsoft.com:microsoft.public.windowsnt.print group

might have a suggestion or fix to offer.

I googled this but didn't go thru the results.
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=RPC+server+is+unavailable&num=10&scoring=r&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.windowsnt.print&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=17&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2005&safe=off

John