Can't see other PC on network

I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and the
built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.

The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the web
etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.

I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets sent -
0 received 100% loss"

Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop

Thanks in anticipation

You'll need to configure your firewalls. Have you? Have you enabled
Microsoft file and print sharing? Have you enabled Pings? With Service Pack
2 and the increase awareness of security I believe these ports are block by
default.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"Tony S" <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and
>the
> built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.
>
> The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the
> web
> etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.
>
> I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets
> sent -
> 0 received 100% loss"
>
> Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
> on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop
>
> Thanks in anticipation

David

My Belkin router has a built in firewall and I don't know how to configure
it. Also how do you enable file and print sharing and pings?

I could do with a "walk through" At the risk of being a cheeky pest I wonder
if you could provide some additional information please.

I am a fairly experienced compter user but networking is a bit new to me and
particularly wireless networking
Regards
Tony S

"David {MVP}" wrote:

> You'll need to configure your firewalls. Have you? Have you enabled
> Microsoft file and print sharing? Have you enabled Pings? With Service Pack
> 2 and the increase awareness of security I believe these ports are block by
> default.
>
> --
> David {MVP}
> Microsoft Mobile Devices
> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

> benefit of all of us...
> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

> rights...
>

> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
> their life by correcting me.
>
> "Tony S" <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and
> >the
> > built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.
> >
> > The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the
> > web
> > etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.
> >
> > I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets
> > sent -
> > 0 received 100% loss"
> >
> > Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
> > on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation

pierre

I'm having a similar problem. I'm running a Dell desktop with Win2000Pro and
an Acer Aspire laptop running on XPHomeSP2. Dell is connected with network
cable to Cometrend Wireless Ready DSL modem while my laptop has 802.11b/g
wireless LAN.
While on my Dell desktop, I was able to map drives C:\ and D:\ of my laptop
and can access content of both drives.

I have tried doing the same thing on my laptop, i.e. map to drive C:\ on my
desktop without success. Here's what I did:

Launched Map Network Drive , selected a drive letter from Drive drop down,
entered \\the name of my desktop computer\Local Drive (C). I pressed the
Finish button and Connect to (name of my desktop computer) message appears.
It asks for a User Name and Password - I presume this is user ID and
password that I use to log into my desktop. I press the ok button - the a
message is displayed advising "Local Network path \\the name of my desktop
computer\Local Drive (C) could not be found". I have configured Local Drive
(C) on my desktop to be shared.

Your help would greatly be appreciated - I've been at this for the past two
days and am getting a bit frustrated.

"Tony S" wrote:

> I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and the
> built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.
>
> The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the web
> etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.
>
> I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets sent -
> 0 received 100% loss"
>
> Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
> on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop
>
> Thanks in anticipation

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

I think David was talking about firewall software ON your computer. Have you
looked at the settings of your XP firewall? Because your behind your Belkin NAT
pseudo firewall... you can turn OFF the XP firewall while you troubleshoot your
problem. So turn it off and see if you can network your computers. If so... the
problem is your XP firewall settings. Turn on file and printer sharing in the
WinXP firewall.