Can't see other PC on network

I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and the
built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.

The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the web
etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.

I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets sent -
0 received 100% loss"

Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop

Thanks in anticipation
4 answers Last reply
More about network

    You'll need to configure your firewalls. Have you? Have you enabled
    Microsoft file and print sharing? Have you enabled Pings? With Service Pack
    2 and the increase awareness of security I believe these ports are block by
    default.

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    "Tony S" <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and
    >the
    > built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.
    >
    > The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the
    > web
    > etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.
    >
    > I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets
    > sent -
    > 0 received 100% loss"
    >
    > Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
    > on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation

    David

    My Belkin router has a built in firewall and I don't know how to configure
    it. Also how do you enable file and print sharing and pings?

    I could do with a "walk through" At the risk of being a cheeky pest I wonder
    if you could provide some additional information please.

    I am a fairly experienced compter user but networking is a bit new to me and
    particularly wireless networking
    Regards
    Tony S

    "David {MVP}" wrote:

    > You'll need to configure your firewalls. Have you? Have you enabled
    > Microsoft file and print sharing? Have you enabled Pings? With Service Pack
    > 2 and the increase awareness of security I believe these ports are block by
    > default.
    >
    > --
    > David {MVP}
    > Microsoft Mobile Devices
    > Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

    > benefit of all of us...
    > The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    > rights...
    >

    > Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    > their life by correcting me.
    >
    > "Tony S" <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and
    > >the
    > > built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.
    > >
    > > The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the
    > > web
    > > etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.
    > >
    > > I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets
    > > sent -
    > > 0 received 100% loss"
    > >
    > > Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
    > > on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop
    > >
    > > Thanks in anticipation

    I'm having a similar problem. I'm running a Dell desktop with Win2000Pro and
    an Acer Aspire laptop running on XPHomeSP2. Dell is connected with network
    cable to Cometrend Wireless Ready DSL modem while my laptop has 802.11b/g
    wireless LAN.
    While on my Dell desktop, I was able to map drives C:\ and D:\ of my laptop
    and can access content of both drives.

    I have tried doing the same thing on my laptop, i.e. map to drive C:\ on my
    desktop without success. Here's what I did:

    Launched Map Network Drive , selected a drive letter from Drive drop down,
    entered \\the name of my desktop computer\Local Drive (C). I pressed the
    Finish button and Connect to (name of my desktop computer) message appears.
    It asks for a User Name and Password - I presume this is user ID and
    password that I use to log into my desktop. I press the ok button - the a
    message is displayed advising "Local Network path \\the name of my desktop
    computer\Local Drive (C) could not be found". I have configured Local Drive
    (C) on my desktop to be shared.

    Your help would greatly be appreciated - I've been at this for the past two
    days and am getting a bit frustrated.

    "Tony S" wrote:

    > I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and the
    > built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.
    >
    > The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the web
    > etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.
    >
    > I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets sent -
    > 0 received 100% loss"
    >
    > Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
    > on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation

    I think David was talking about firewall software ON your computer. Have you
    looked at the settings of your XP firewall? Because your behind your Belkin NAT
    pseudo firewall... you can turn OFF the XP firewall while you troubleshoot your
    problem. So turn it off and see if you can network your computers. If so... the
    problem is your XP firewall settings. Turn on file and printer sharing in the
    WinXP firewall.

    Tony S wrote:
    > David
    >
    > My Belkin router has a built in firewall and I don't know how to configure
    > it. Also how do you enable file and print sharing and pings?
    >
    > I could do with a "walk through" At the risk of being a cheeky pest I wonder
    > if you could provide some additional information please.
    >
    > I am a fairly experienced compter user but networking is a bit new to me and
    > particularly wireless networking
    > Regards
    > Tony S
    >
    > "David {MVP}" wrote:
    >
    >> You'll need to configure your firewalls. Have you? Have you enabled
    >> Microsoft file and print sharing? Have you enabled Pings? With Service Pack
    >> 2 and the increase awareness of security I believe these ports are block by
    >> default.
    >>
    >> --
    >> David {MVP}
    >> Microsoft Mobile Devices
    >> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    >> rights...
    >>

    >> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    >> their life by correcting me.
    >>
    >> "Tony S" <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have set up a wireless network using a Belkin router on my main PC and
    >>> the
    >>> built in Wi-Fi on my laptop.
    >>>
    >>> The internet connection sharing works fine on the laptop I can surf the
    >>> web
    >>> etc but I cannot get either machine to "see" the other.
    >>>
    >>> I pinged the master PC from the laptop and got the message "4 packets
    >>> sent -
    >>> 0 received 100% loss"
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone PLEASE help me to sort out this problem. I'm running Win XP Pro
    >>> on the main PC and Win XP Home on the laptop
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in anticipation

Laptops Wireless Networking