pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I had a few questions regarding this RAM. I have had this RAM for a few months but haven't a need for overclocking yet. I have a DFI LP Ultra-D, so I know I the required voltages (4.0V max). I have an Enermax 550W PSU so that should hold out stable. I am going to be overclocking with an A64 3200+ 939, so I'm not sure how far I will go on stock air. I didn't want to spend the extra $50 for a TT 120 SI.

1. How far can I get on stock HSF with great case air circulation?
2. What are the cons of running the RAM at 3.3V 250MHZ 2-2-2-8, 24/7?
3. How much will the CPU take a hit when it is overclocked at 2.5GHz?

I just don't want the CPU/RAM taking to much of a hit that they lose a lot of lifespan.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
1) Not sure because its all luck - did you get the lucky 'perfect silicon' chip or the one that barely passed reliability tests... Generally your 2.0ghz should hit 2.5-2.6 easily.

2) It gets tired easily? :lol: Seriously - if the RAMs can take the voltage, and you have airflow to keep them from getting too hot, you reduce the lifespan from 10+ yrs to 9+ yrs. (or something like that)

3) If you're running at stock voltage it'll take almost no lifetime hit. If you're OCing to the max with max voltage, max clock, max everything you may drop that CPU's lifespan by about 50% or more. You should have more than enough lifespan @ 2.5g.

Mike.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Thanks, I wasn't sure how long I was going to be keeping the processor, but I think I'm going to be keeping the RAM for quite some time.

If all goes well, I'll have it going at 2.7GHz and a modded GTO, if mine can actually mod that is. Testing right now though.

TRENDING THREADS