Building a new machine for gaming + other

So I'm not an extreme gamer but I do play some occasional UT and Dungeon Seige. I do lots of multi-tasking and I have the money to build a decent machine so I figured it I built a great gaming macine that it would be beefy enough for whatever else I do. No real plans to overclock as I'm hoping it should be plenty fast on it's own. Looking to keep it around $1800.00. Here goes:

Motherboard
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra ($95) *or*
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert ($199)

> Is the DFI Lanparty worth double the price to me?

Ram
Mushkin PC3200 1 GB DDR RAM x 2 (2x$87)
> Should I be spending for better ram than this?

Case
Antec P180 ($125)

CPU
Athlon64 X2 3800+ ($322)

Heatsink
AMD Heatsink-Fan: Thermalright XP-90C w/ Vantec Stealth 92mm Fan ($63)

Video Card
eVGA GeForce 7800GT ($319) *or*
XFX GeForce 7800GT Overclocked 256MB ($380)
> Worth the expense for the OC?

HDDs:
System Drive:
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive ($164)
Data:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive ($103)

Power supply
SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply - Retail ($99.00)
> Is a 430 enough or do I need to be at 500+?

DVD Burner
NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A ($40)

CD ROM
LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9SV ($20)

OS
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

I'd appreciate any comments anyone has.

Thanks,
bds42
5 answers Last reply
More about building machine gaming other
  1. is this us or canadian dollars, the xfx card seems overpriced since I bought it on sale with rebate for $272 going for $325 last I saw and comes with several games including far cry. not sure about motherboards but doubt the dfi board is worth twice the price you could upgrade to GTX vid card or x2 4200 for the difference in price.
  2. need at least 480 watts for x2 setup and get case 2 ram if possible, can get 1 gig of case 2 patriot ram for about $125 and the timings really do make a difference. Sorry didn't get this in previous post.
  3. 1. Get the 9NPA+ Ultra - you don't need the DFI.
    2. Why do you think you need 2GB of RAM? If you do get 2GB of RAM, then get 2x1GB - NOT 4x512MB.
    3. PSU: Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P
    4. Unless you're planning on doing some serious OCing, then get the stock AMD HSF - it comes free with the AMD retail box CPU.
    5. Case: P180 is nice, but pricey IMO. Check out the Super-Flower SF-201T
    6. Why the X2? What kind of multitasking are you talking about? Be as specific as possible... You would probably be better off getting a 3700+ or 4000+ and putting the rest of the money in your pocket.
    7. This eVGA 7800GT for $284 after MIR should be good enough for you. Look at the clock speeds on the cards - core and memory. Then compare the speeds of the cards you are interested in buying. If you had provided more specifics on the cards you wanted we could be more helpful. In general - don't spend the extra money on the OC. Very little performance gain for the money you spend.
  4. Quote:
    1. Get the 9NPA+ Ultra - you don't need the DFI.
    2. Why do you think you need 2GB of RAM? If you do get 2GB of RAM, then get 2x1GB - NOT 4x512MB.
    3. PSU: Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P
    4. Unless you're planning on doing some serious OCing, then get the stock AMD HSF - it comes free with the AMD retail box CPU.
    5. Case: P180 is nice, but pricey IMO. Check out the Super-Flower SF-201T
    6. Why the X2? What kind of multitasking are you talking about? Be as specific as possible... You would probably be better off getting a 3700+ or 4000+ and putting the rest of the money in your pocket.
    7. This eVGA 7800GT for $284 after MIR should be good enough for you. Look at the clock speeds on the cards - core and memory. Then compare the speeds of the cards you are interested in buying. If you had provided more specifics on the cards you wanted we could be more helpful. In general - don't spend the extra money on the OC. Very little performance gain for the money you spend.

I completly agree with Rugg's

I was about to post about 75% of this myself....but now i will say i just agree :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems