NTBACKUP error during verify

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

We recently replaced our DDS3 drive with a Certance DDS4 ARCHIVE PYTHON
06240-XXX, Firmware 910B-000.

Since replacing the drive we are getting the following error during the
verify portion of the job: "An error occurred during translation of data to
or from the tape in Drive 1."

Once I acknowledge the error the following Dr. Watson error appears: "
Exception access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x01bd046b. At this point
data is unreadable on the tape even though the backup log shows data backed
up to the tape.

The backup batch file contains the following ntbackup script:
ntbackup backup c: e: m: s: /hc:eek:n /e /v /b /t normal
/l"c:\backup\backup3.log"

As you can see we are using hw compression. Should this be disabled? We
are using DDS3 tapes which should be compatible. I have even tried using new
DDS3 tapes without success. Should we use DDS4 tapes?

I downloaded and ran the taperx.exe from Certance. The R/W test failed
during the read portion of the test on the tapes that the ntbackup error
occurred. But passed on a brand new DDS3 tape. I then erased the same tape
that passed the taperx test and the verify error occurred again.

I have searched for the above mentioned errors on MS knowledgebase and
google but did not find anything conclusive.

I am at a loss. If anyone knows of anything else to try please let me know.

If the R/W test from a Certance diagnostic utility failed then there is
no sense looking any farther or for a possible answer from MS KB, you're
not going to get anywhere. It's possible that the DDS3 tapes are
incompatible with the drive. I would suggest that you call Certance and
discuss your problem with them or check on their web site to see if the
tape & drive are in fact compatible.

On their site Certance says: "If you would like assistance by phone,
our Technical Support department would be happy to help you." I can say
that my experience with them supports that statement. Although it was a
few years ago I was more than impressed with their help so I would
expect that they still look after their customers as they did then. I
was on hold for a while but the wait was well worth the excellent help
and service that I received.

John

Tom wrote:

> We recently replaced our DDS3 drive with a Certance DDS4 ARCHIVE PYTHON
> 06240-XXX, Firmware 910B-000.
>
> Since replacing the drive we are getting the following error during the
> verify portion of the job: "An error occurred during translation of data to
> or from the tape in Drive 1."
>
> Once I acknowledge the error the following Dr. Watson error appears: "
> Exception access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x01bd046b. At this point
> data is unreadable on the tape even though the backup log shows data backed
> up to the tape.
>
> The backup batch file contains the following ntbackup script:
> ntbackup backup c: e: m: s: /hc:eek:n /e /v /b /t normal
> /l"c:\backup\backup3.log"
>
> As you can see we are using hw compression. Should this be disabled? We
> are using DDS3 tapes which should be compatible. I have even tried using new
> DDS3 tapes without success. Should we use DDS4 tapes?
>
> I downloaded and ran the taperx.exe from Certance. The R/W test failed
> during the read portion of the test on the tapes that the ntbackup error
> occurred. But passed on a brand new DDS3 tape. I then erased the same tape
> that passed the taperx test and the verify error occurred again.
>
> I have searched for the above mentioned errors on MS knowledgebase and
> google but did not find anything conclusive.
>
> I am at a loss. If anyone knows of anything else to try please let me know.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

John John,

Thanks for getting back to me. After the last failed backup (without
compression) I erased the tape and was able to perform a TapeRX R/W test
successfully.

I updated the firmware to 911D but the tape was ejected as part of the
upgrade process. I will call Certance and perform another backup tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tom

"John John" wrote:

> If the R/W test from a Certance diagnostic utility failed then there is
> no sense looking any farther or for a possible answer from MS KB, you're
> not going to get anywhere. It's possible that the DDS3 tapes are
> incompatible with the drive. I would suggest that you call Certance and
> discuss your problem with them or check on their web site to see if the
> tape & drive are in fact compatible.
>
> On their site Certance says: "If you would like assistance by phone,
> our Technical Support department would be happy to help you." I can say
> that my experience with them supports that statement. Although it was a
> few years ago I was more than impressed with their help so I would
> expect that they still look after their customers as they did then. I
> was on hold for a while but the wait was well worth the excellent help
> and service that I received.
>
> John
>
> Tom wrote:
>
> > We recently replaced our DDS3 drive with a Certance DDS4 ARCHIVE PYTHON
> > 06240-XXX, Firmware 910B-000.
> >
> > Since replacing the drive we are getting the following error during the
> > verify portion of the job: "An error occurred during translation of data to
> > or from the tape in Drive 1."
> >
> > Once I acknowledge the error the following Dr. Watson error appears: "
> > Exception access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x01bd046b. At this point
> > data is unreadable on the tape even though the backup log shows data backed
> > up to the tape.
> >
> > The backup batch file contains the following ntbackup script:
> > ntbackup backup c: e: m: s: /hc:eek:n /e /v /b /t normal
> > /l"c:\backup\backup3.log"
> >
> > As you can see we are using hw compression. Should this be disabled? We
> > are using DDS3 tapes which should be compatible. I have even tried using new
> > DDS3 tapes without success. Should we use DDS4 tapes?
> >
> > I downloaded and ran the taperx.exe from Certance. The R/W test failed
> > during the read portion of the test on the tapes that the ntbackup error
> > occurred. But passed on a brand new DDS3 tape. I then erased the same tape
> > that passed the taperx test and the verify error occurred again.
> >
> > I have searched for the above mentioned errors on MS knowledgebase and
> > google but did not find anything conclusive.
> >
> > I am at a loss. If anyone knows of anything else to try please let me know.

You're welcome. Let us know the outcome and let us know if Certance
help is still up to scratch!

John

Tom wrote:

> John John,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. After the last failed backup (without
> compression) I erased the tape and was able to perform a TapeRX R/W test
> successfully.
>
> I updated the firmware to 911D but the tape was ejected as part of the
> upgrade process. I will call Certance and perform another backup tomorrow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> "John John" wrote:
>

>>If the R/W test from a Certance diagnostic utility failed then there is
>>no sense looking any farther or for a possible answer from MS KB, you're
>>not going to get anywhere. It's possible that the DDS3 tapes are
>>incompatible with the drive. I would suggest that you call Certance and
>>discuss your problem with them or check on their web site to see if the
>>tape & drive are in fact compatible.
>>
>>On their site Certance says: "If you would like assistance by phone,
>>our Technical Support department would be happy to help you." I can say
>>that my experience with them supports that statement. Although it was a
>>few years ago I was more than impressed with their help so I would
>>expect that they still look after their customers as they did then. I
>>was on hold for a while but the wait was well worth the excellent help
>>and service that I received.
>>
>>John
>>
>>Tom wrote:
>>

>>>We recently replaced our DDS3 drive with a Certance DDS4 ARCHIVE PYTHON
>>>06240-XXX, Firmware 910B-000.
>>>
>>>Since replacing the drive we are getting the following error during the
>>>verify portion of the job: "An error occurred during translation of data to
>>>or from the tape in Drive 1."
>>>
>>>Once I acknowledge the error the following Dr. Watson error appears: "
>>>Exception access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x01bd046b. At this point
>>>data is unreadable on the tape even though the backup log shows data backed
>>>up to the tape.
>>>
>>>The backup batch file contains the following ntbackup script:
>>>ntbackup backup c: e: m: s: /hc:eek:n /e /v /b /t normal
>>>/l"c:\backup\backup3.log"
>>>
>>>As you can see we are using hw compression. Should this be disabled? We
>>>are using DDS3 tapes which should be compatible. I have even tried using new
>>>DDS3 tapes without success. Should we use DDS4 tapes?
>>>
>>>I downloaded and ran the taperx.exe from Certance. The R/W test failed
>>>during the read portion of the test on the tapes that the ntbackup error
>>>occurred. But passed on a brand new DDS3 tape. I then erased the same tape
>>>that passed the taperx test and the verify error occurred again.
>>>
>>>I have searched for the above mentioned errors on MS knowledgebase and
>>>google but did not find anything conclusive.
>>>
>>>I am at a loss. If anyone knows of anything else to try please let me know.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I contacted Certance and they said:

1. Verify termination - OK
2. Try different tapes - bought new tapes
3. Try different backup software - have not done this yet

I did go back and verify the dip switch and juper settings. I found that
dip sw 10 was set to "off" which reported a Certance drive from BIOS. The
drive's s/n matched a Seagate drive number. Based upon the certance website
I set dip sw 10 to "on" to report a Seagate drive from BIOS. I then changed
the driver from 4mmdat.sys (MS) to SDAT4.sys (seagate). After doing this the
drive somewhat started working. I was able to do some backups, verifies and
restores. I have been able to backup c: and m: one at a time. The problem
at this point seems to occur when I backup and attempt to verify drives
multiple drives. I.E. I also backup an e:, m: and s:.

Today I have attempted to run 4 seperate ntbackup routines starting w/ c:
which overwrites the tape and then appending e:, m: and then s:.

If this fails I guess the next step would be to install be exec. What do
you think?

"John John" wrote:

> You're welcome. Let us know the outcome and let us know if Certance
> help is still up to scratch!
>
> John
>
> Tom wrote:
>
> > John John,
> >
> > Thanks for getting back to me. After the last failed backup (without
> > compression) I erased the tape and was able to perform a TapeRX R/W test
> > successfully.
> >
> > I updated the firmware to 911D but the tape was ejected as part of the
> > upgrade process. I will call Certance and perform another backup tomorrow.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > "John John" wrote:
> >

> >>If the R/W test from a Certance diagnostic utility failed then there is
> >>no sense looking any farther or for a possible answer from MS KB, you're
> >>not going to get anywhere. It's possible that the DDS3 tapes are
> >>incompatible with the drive. I would suggest that you call Certance and
> >>discuss your problem with them or check on their web site to see if the
> >>tape & drive are in fact compatible.
> >>
> >>On their site Certance says: "If you would like assistance by phone,
> >>our Technical Support department would be happy to help you." I can say
> >>that my experience with them supports that statement. Although it was a
> >>few years ago I was more than impressed with their help so I would
> >>expect that they still look after their customers as they did then. I
> >>was on hold for a while but the wait was well worth the excellent help
> >>and service that I received.
> >>
> >>John

Well, you're making some progress, at least now you can do some sort of
backups. If you have a copy of Backup Exec it might be a good idea to
give it a try. If I remember correctly ntbackup was a baby or cutback
version of the then Seagate backup software. As you know Seagate then
spun off the software portion of their business into Veritas, and now
Veritas is owned by Symantec. Personally I was never overly fond of
this ntbackup cutback version and have always used BE instead, I'm not
even sure that you can make a set of Emergency Recovery diskettes with
ntbackup, a severe shortcoming if you ask me. Also, Certance, Seagate &
Veritas were all in the same familly so the software was designed and
engineered around your tape drive, also, BE is probably much newer than
the ntbackup that you're using.

I also tried to find anything relevant on MS KB but the only thing I
could find was unspecific information saying that hotfixes were
available for ntbackup access violation errors and this that applied to
NT 3.51 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137287

John