NT to 2000 AD

Mac

I have a NT4 BDC that has 2+gig free on the system partition and 40+gig on
the "D" drive. I want to use this to move to AD and locate the Global Catalog
on drive D. Does anyone have an article number to reference on ths? I have
looked but thus far have found nothing.

thanks

The NT 4.0 PDC is the only DC on a NT 4.0 domain that holds a writeable copy
of the SAM. In order to carry that SAM into the AD domain you MUST upgrade
the PDC first. Upgrading *any* *other* BDC/member server before upgrading
the PDC will result in the AD domain having a different SAM than the NT 4.0
domain.

Different SAM = different domain.

With that in mind you need to promote your BDC to PDC (which demotes your
existing PDC to BDC) then see:
How to Upgrade Windows NT Server Version 4.0 to Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE