6600GT vs 6800

I'm planning on buying one of the 2 (agp 8x), but I'm wondering which I will be better off with, A 256mb 6600GT, or a 128mb 6800 (standard, not like ultra or anything). They seem to be around the same price range, and I hear the 6800's 256bit memory interface and extra pipelines gives quite a performance boost.

Cheers,
Tinny
9 answers Last reply
More about 6600gt 6800
  1. If you can pay a bit extra, get a 6800GS. Just check out my thread called 6800GS to find out its specs.
  2. I've been think about the same upgrade as you have Tinny and have the following thoughts based on my research.
    There are very few options as far the 6800 is concerned. Only a few companies still make them in AGP. Newegg in particular only has 1 brand avaliable.
    The 6800 is faster than the 6600GT. The AGP 6800's have an interesting twist. Because they are techincally rejected 6800GT chips with some of the pipelines locked, it is possible to unlock those pipes and enhance performance.

Assuming they still make them by the time I'm ready to make my upgrade, I'm going with the 6800.
  3. cool, thanks for the info guys. I can't afford the GT or GS at the moment but I might wait until after christmas :)

As for the vanilla 6800, I've seen quite a few on ebay recently, because people are upgrading to PCI-E and getting rid of their AGP cards so it should be easy to pick one up there.
  4. The vanilla 6800 is like 9% faster in most games compared to the 6600GT.

Either way, they both perform about the same. You can always overclock the 6600GT if you don't want to shell out the extra dough for the 6800. Though, they're both priced pretty equally.

-mpjesse
  5. The 6800 is better.
    1: It has a bit more speed.
    2: It overclocks easier
    3: Most cards can use hacks to "unlock" the extra pipelines/etc and turn it into a slightly slower speed 6800GT - often making overclocking not required.
    4: 128MB is fine unless you run higher than 1280*1024 resolution. 99% of people don't ever need 256MB.
  6. I have to disagree slightly.. 256mb ram prolongs your card a little bit its certainly not bad to have.
    My uncle has a Gainward Fx5900Ultra 256mb and that card is realy nice even though its pretty old now.
  7. Quote:
    If you can pay a bit extra, get a 6800GS. Just check out my thread called 6800GS to find out its specs.

He wants an AGP card, and I have yet to see a GS AGP card. They are suppose to be out this week, but I've not seen them yet.
  8. Quote:

He wants an AGP card, and I have yet to see a GS AGP card. They are suppose to be out this week, but I've not seen them yet.

Interesting. BTW...thanks for saving my butt on that PCI-e issue. I'm in the same boat as this guy with the AGP need. I thought I saw something about an AGP 6800 GS, but wasn't sure if it was bogus or not.

So, a release this week is legit for an AGP version?
  9. All the rumors had it that the AGP release was pending, but I've not gotten a wif of them yet.

I've been watching for them because I've got a couple machines I need to upgrade, and I either need a GS or a GT, and GT's are going bye bye so I need to do something soon. If the AGP GS is a myth then I need to get a few GT's while the getting is good.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Performance Graphics