How use the whole disk?

I got a Windows NT 4 RAID 5 system and have replaced the 3 small hard disks
with bigger ones. Replacing them one by one caused no problem since the
system was restored exactly the way it was before.

That includes the size of the volumes of course. How do I expand the system
to use all of the hard disks? This will be needed to be able to upgrade to
Windows 2003 later (yes I will try to avoid re-formatting since I cannot
allow the system to be down so long and I don't have a backup system).
2 answers Last reply
More about disk

    You can't without starting from scratch. If you need a temporary backup
    system look on ebay. The other day I got a Dell Poweredge 2300 w/ dual PIII
    450GHz processors and 5 x 9 Gig SCSI HD's for under $250. It's a great
    machine to play with.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Elvis Ahlgren wrote:
    > I got a Windows NT 4 RAID 5 system and have replaced the 3 small hard disks
    > with bigger ones. Replacing them one by one caused no problem since the
    > system was restored exactly the way it was before.
    >
    > That includes the size of the volumes of course. How do I expand the system
    > to use all of the hard disks? This will be needed to be able to upgrade to
    > Windows 2003 later (yes I will try to avoid re-formatting since I cannot
    > allow the system to be down so long and I don't have a backup system).

    Hate to be the one to tell you this, but you have been
    royally screwed - by yourself. You shouldn't have started
    swapping those new drives in like that - it was absolutely
    the last thing you wanted to do.

    If your RAID controller could have handled two distinct RAID
    arrays (or if you had a second identical controller), the
    easiest thing for you to do would have been to set up a second
    array using the new drives, and then image the first array onto
    the new one. The next easiest thing would have been to simply
    copy everything from the first array to the new one.

    I suggest you go to the Symantec web site and read up about the
    Server Magic utility they acquired when they bought PowerQuest.
    Perhaps it will let you resize partitions on RAIDs ?

    --
    Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
    have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

Windows