Sign in with
Your question

Disconnect a network router?

Last response: in Mac Os X
July 14, 2012 2:45:04 PM

I purchased a new router and want to disconnect the old router but, still use it as a network hub. I've already pressed the reset button several times but the router still shows up in my lan card utility. I can still connect to it (the old router) even though I reset it. what must I do to get rid of the connective part but still use it as a hub?

rtym@wi.rr.com
July 14, 2012 2:53:49 PM

You will always be able to connect top it. If you want it trip act as a switch turn off dhcp
m
l
July 14, 2012 2:55:06 PM

are you asking how to turn off the wireless part of it and still use the wired part?

if so logon to it and just turn off the wireless.
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 3:22:27 PM

anonymous1 said:
are you asking how to turn off the wireless part of it and still use the wired part?

if so logon to it and just turn off the wireless.

yep, that's what I want to do. turn off the wireless and use it as a switch.

Will try your suggestion but I already did erase the configuration and used the reset button, both while turned on and when turned off. Go figure.
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:23:13 PM

unksol said:
You will always be able to connect top it. If you want it trip act as a switch turn off dhcp

will do that, thanks.
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:27:42 PM

i think i understand what you are trying to do. In order to use the old router as a simple hub to add more ports to your network, you need to log into it and turn off DHCP... you cannot have more then 1 device on any network serving DHCP - assigning IP address to devices that connect to the network. If you do, bad things will happen ^^

This is pretty easy especially since you say you reset the device. Turn it on and plug a single computer into it. On the computer go to [Start] [run] then type cmd into the run prompt. (on windows 7 there is no button for "run" just type cmd into the big box at the bottom of start menu.

Once the black window of the command prompt comes up, type in ipconfig/all

and see what it gives you as a "default gateway" if there isn't one and your "IP Address" starts with 169 the router is not broadcasting DHCP, and you may use it as is (do not use the "internet-connection-goes-here port" just the local network ports

If you do a see a default gateway, it will most likely look like 192.168.xxx.xxx

take those numbers and feed them into your internet browser - that should send you straight to the management interface of your router. Default passwords for most devices are usually "Admin" or some variation thereof. Look up your make and model up on Google, it will not be hard to find it.

Then you will need to browse the interface to find where you can turn off DHCP - usually some section that deals with local network setup. depending on what you want to do, you may also want to turn off or adjust wireless settings.

Happy hunting and good luck!
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:28:32 PM

rtym said:
I purchased a new router and want to disconnect the old router but, still use it as a network hub. I've already pressed the reset button several times but the router still shows up in my lan card utility. I can still connect to it (the old router) even though I reset it. what must I do to get rid of the connective part but still use it as a hub?

rtym@wi.rr.com

1. disconnect computer from new router.
2. connect to old router with ethernet cable. You do not need a connection to the internet for this.
3. log into old router and disable DHCP as unksol said. Also disable port forwarding and NAT/firewall.
4. set the old router's IP address so that it does not conflict with any computer on your network. Record the MAC address of the old router.
5. disconnect old router.
6. connect computer to new router with ethernet cable.
7. log in to new router.
8. ensure new router has DHCP enabled.
9. in the new router's address reservation table set the MAC and IP address of the old router.
10. connect old router to new router with ethernet cable using one of the numbered ports. Do NOT use the WAN port.
11. use remaining ports on old router for connecting other computers. If you want you can move the current computer's ethernet cable to the old router if more convenient.

The old router will still be visible on the network as it has an IP address but you will only be using the built in unmanaged switch functions. All network controls will be done form the new router.

Regarding wireless, if one or both routers have it, they can co-exist as long as the SSIDs are different, but it would be better to use only one.

If you want any assistance logging into the routers we will need to know make, model etc. of both.

good luck

Q

m
l
July 14, 2012 9:13:09 PM

frombehind said:
i think i understand what you are trying to do. In order to use the old router as a simple hub to add more ports to your network, you need to log into it and turn off DHCP... you cannot have more then 1 device on any network serving DHCP - assigning IP address to devices that connect to the network. If you do, bad things will happen ^^

This is pretty easy especially since you say you reset the device. Turn it on and plug a single computer into it. On the computer go to [Start] [run] then type cmd into the run prompt. (on windows 7 there is no button for "run" just type cmd into the big box at the bottom of start menu.

Once the black window of the command prompt comes up, type in ipconfig/all

and see what it gives you as a "default gateway" if there isn't one and your "IP Address" starts with 169 the router is not broadcasting DHCP, and you may use it as is (do not use the "internet-connection-goes-here port" just the local network ports

If you do a see a default gateway, it will most likely look like 192.168.xxx.xxx

take those numbers and feed them into your internet browser - that should send you straight to the management interface of your router. Default passwords for most devices are usually "Admin" or some variation thereof. Look up your make and model up on Google, it will not be hard to find it.

Then you will need to browse the interface to find where you can turn off DHCP - usually some section that deals with local network setup. depending on what you want to do, you may also want to turn off or adjust wireless settings.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Thanks to all of you for your contributions to my problem. I believe the situation is under control now as I cannot see the old router anymore even if i search for it. Again, thanks a billion!
m
l
July 14, 2012 9:15:16 PM

Thanks to all of you who offered help for my situation. i believe the matter is whipped. I no longer see the old router on the list of other users close by.

thanks a billion!
m
l
July 14, 2012 10:01:35 PM

The other thing you may have to do is to change the IP address of your old router so it does not conflict with that of your new router.
m
l
!