Connection Notifications

JamesP

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004

I receive repeated connection status notifications (from the wirelss icon in
the Notification area) telling me that I am connected to a wireless network.
It seems as if these notifications occur for no reason as I'm not aware that
I'd lost my connection prior to the notification popping up ... it's as if XP
is just periodically telling me I have a wireless connection.

A couple months back I started using WPA-PSK (w/ TKIP) and I think that's
when I began getting all these notifications ... since that's the only change
I've made to my system I think there's a connection (no pun intended.) Am I
on the right trail and what if anything can be done about these annoying
notices?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Assuming that you are using WinXP WZC util.

Look at the Wireless menu and make sure that your Network is the only one
in the preferred section and that the until connects only to the preferred
Wireless.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx

Another issue might be associated with your SSID, or lack of it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427&Product=winxp

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I receive repeated connection status notifications (from the wirelss icon
in
> the Notification area) telling me that I am connected to a wireless
network.
> It seems as if these notifications occur for no reason as I'm not aware
that
> I'd lost my connection prior to the notification popping up ... it's as if
XP
> is just periodically telling me I have a wireless connection.
>
> A couple months back I started using WPA-PSK (w/ TKIP) and I think that's
> when I began getting all these notifications ... since that's the only
change
> I've made to my system I think there's a connection (no pun intended.) Am
> on the right trail and what if anything can be done about these annoying
> notices?

JamesP

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004

Hello Jack! Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm using XP's WZC util and have two wireless networks listed in my
Preferred Networks list. Is this a problem (having multiple networks listed)
.... because there's multiple networks listed XP is continuously looking for
the other networks?

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Assuming that you are using WinXP WZC util.
>
> Look at the Wireless menu and make sure that your Network is the only one
> in the preferred section and that the until connects only to the preferred
> Wireless.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx
>
> Another issue might be associated with your SSID, or lack of it.
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427&Product=winxp
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I receive repeated connection status notifications (from the wirelss icon
> in
> > the Notification area) telling me that I am connected to a wireless
> network.
> > It seems as if these notifications occur for no reason as I'm not aware
> that
> > I'd lost my connection prior to the notification popping up ... it's as if
> XP
> > is just periodically telling me I have a wireless connection.
> >
> > A couple months back I started using WPA-PSK (w/ TKIP) and I think that's
> > when I began getting all these notifications ... since that's the only
> change
> > I've made to my system I think there's a connection (no pun intended.) Am
> > on the right trail and what if anything can be done about these annoying
> > notices?

Try this
Open the network connections in control panel.
Right click on your wireless connection and select properties
Make sure the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected is
unchecked..
Had simular problem until tried this