Sign in with
Your question

BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
March 12, 2011 9:30:57 PM

My friend has a Compaq laptop (dont know the model) but do know it is about 3 years old. The problem he is getting a BSOD. Here is a picture of it....

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Hope you can help

More about : bsod

March 13, 2011 12:20:52 AM

Well, BSOD's can happen due to many reasons.(assuming that he has Windows installed), just try to boot the system in safe mode to see what happens(F8 during post then safe mode), if you can hace access to windows, then do a system restore, if possible to a couple of weeks before it started. Just make sure he doesn't have multiple Antivirus software, it could be the cause of it.

Option 2:you can find the minidump files that were created when the bsod happened. Go to the hdd, then Windows>Minidump, you will find the .dmp files there. If you attach them somewhere, I could have a look.
m
l
March 13, 2011 4:09:51 AM

Anytime ive ever got those is when a stick of ram goes bad. Actually just happend on my 8 gigs, one stick was causing the bsod in win7. Just download memtest86 and burn it to a cd. Boot from your dvd drive instead of the hd. Change that in the bios menu. It will automatically start.

Test 1 stick at a time. The screen will have your pass and the number of errors the ram has. 1 error is bad ram. Since its a laptop this should be easy to isolate due to the fact that there is not many places to look.

Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2011 7:48:16 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063
Quote:
This Stop error message usually occurs during installation when there was an attempt in kernel mode to touch pageable memory at too high a process internal request level (IRQL). Typically, this error occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error include an incompatible device driver, a general hardware problem, or incompatible software.

RESOLUTION
When this Stop error message occurs, first try to resolve the issue by using the Windows Error Reporting tool that is automatically displayed when any error occurs. The Reporting tool sends an error report to Microsoft, and reports a fix or a workaround back to you immediately. If no fix or workaround is available, or if the fix or workaround reported by the tool does not resolve the error, then follow the methods in the "Advanced Troubleshooting" section.
m
l
March 14, 2011 12:22:24 AM

silky salamandr said:
Anytime ive ever got those is when a stick of ram goes bad. Actually just happend on my 8 gigs, one stick was causing the bsod in win7. Just download memtest86 and burn it to a cd. Boot from your dvd drive instead of the hd. Change that in the bios menu. It will automatically start.

Test 1 stick at a time. The screen will have your pass and the number of errors the ram has. 1 error is bad ram. Since its a laptop this should be easy to isolate due to the fact that there is not many places to look.

Hope this helps.

I guess I should have mentioned this but, I told him to run the Ultimate Boot CD, he did the memtest and a cpu test, they were both fine, so it cant be the ram. BTW if you do not have the Ultimate Boot CD, I recommended you get, its free and it is an awesome tool.
m
l
!