Could use a little help with an instructor :)

Hi;

I am a dev and was recently forced (screaming and kicking) to enroll in a
computing course at a local community college (Sprott-Shaw). Yesterday the
instructor walked into the training room and introduced himself for next
week when we will begin classes under his instruction. As many of us have
come to expect, he didn't make it through the first 5 minutes of explaining
what he will be 'teaching' us without causing me to squirm in my seat and
roll my eyes. Here are the two finer points about Windows which he relayed
to us...

A) Windows '98 and Me were not reliant on DOS

....and hold yourselves down for this one...

B) The only fundamental changes to Windows since '98 were/are to the GUI.

.... so I was wondering if a few of you with greater notoriety in the
community might have some comments for me to pass along to him on Monday.
Feel free to express yourselves :)

Thanks in advance!

Polar
5 answers Last reply
More about could instructor

    Polar wrote:
    > Hi;
    >
    > I am a dev and was recently forced (screaming and kicking) to enroll in a
    > computing course at a local community college (Sprott-Shaw). Yesterday the
    > instructor walked into the training room and introduced himself for next
    > week when we will begin classes under his instruction. As many of us have
    > come to expect, he didn't make it through the first 5 minutes of explaining
    > what he will be 'teaching' us without causing me to squirm in my seat and
    > roll my eyes. Here are the two finer points about Windows which he relayed
    > to us...
    >
    > A) Windows '98 and Me were not reliant on DOS
    >
    > ...and hold yourselves down for this one...
    >
    > B) The only fundamental changes to Windows since '98 were/are to the GUI.
    >
    > ... so I was wondering if a few of you with greater notoriety in the
    > community might have some comments for me to pass along to him on Monday.
    > Feel free to express yourselves :)

    If your reporting is accurate, then the instructor is clearly
    grossly incompetent - no room for the slightest bit of doubt.

    Whatever "credentials" he used to get his job should be
    thoroughly investigated. You and every other student in the
    class should be pounding on the Registrar's desk until you your
    money refunded.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    :)

    To top it off, he's teaching Microsoft material (Windows/Office). I
    corrected him on 'the big board' in front of the class, but I thought I'd
    get a few extra opinions since - if my experience guides me well - he will
    show up at the college with some ambiguous snippet from a training manual to
    'prove' me wrong.

    Polar

    "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Polar wrote:
    > > Hi;
    > >
    > > I am a dev and was recently forced (screaming and kicking) to enroll in
    > > computing course at a local community college (Sprott-Shaw). Yesterday
    the
    > > instructor walked into the training room and introduced himself for next
    > > week when we will begin classes under his instruction. As many of us
    have
    > > come to expect, he didn't make it through the first 5 minutes of
    explaining
    > > what he will be 'teaching' us without causing me to squirm in my seat
    and
    > > roll my eyes. Here are the two finer points about Windows which he
    relayed
    > > to us...
    > >
    > > A) Windows '98 and Me were not reliant on DOS
    > >
    > > ...and hold yourselves down for this one...
    > >
    > > B) The only fundamental changes to Windows since '98 were/are to the
    GUI.

    > > ... so I was wondering if a few of you with greater notoriety in the
    > > community might have some comments for me to pass along to him on
    Monday.
    > > Feel free to express yourselves :)
    > >

    > If your reporting is accurate, then the instructor is clearly
    > grossly incompetent - no room for the slightest bit of doubt.
    >
    > Whatever "credentials" he used to get his job should be
    > thoroughly investigated. You and every other student in the
    > class should be pounding on the Registrar's desk until you your
    > money refunded.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Look at,

    http://www.bellevuelinux.org/ms-dos.html -> The Rise of the GUI
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/WinHistoryIntro.mspx

    Dennis

    "Polar" <polar@ignore.this.com> wrote in message
    > Hi;
    >
    > I am a dev and was recently forced (screaming and kicking) to enroll in a
    > computing course at a local community college (Sprott-Shaw). Yesterday the
    > instructor walked into the training room and introduced himself for next
    > week when we will begin classes under his instruction. As many of us have
    > come to expect, he didn't make it through the first 5 minutes of
    > explaining
    > what he will be 'teaching' us without causing me to squirm in my seat and
    > roll my eyes. Here are the two finer points about Windows which he relayed
    > to us...
    >
    > A) Windows '98 and Me were not reliant on DOS
    >
    > ...and hold yourselves down for this one...
    >
    > B) The only fundamental changes to Windows since '98 were/are to the GUI.
    >
    > ... so I was wondering if a few of you with greater notoriety in the
    > community might have some comments for me to pass along to him on Monday.
    > Feel free to express yourselves :)
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Polar

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks! That Windows history link was great.

    Polar

    "Dennis" <notknown> wrote in message
    > Look at,
    >
    > http://www.bellevuelinux.org/ms-dos.html -> The Rise of the GUI
    > and
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/WinHistoryIntro.mspx
    >

    > Dennis
    >

    > "Polar" <polar@ignore.this.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi;
    > >
    > > I am a dev and was recently forced (screaming and kicking) to enroll in
    > > computing course at a local community college (Sprott-Shaw). Yesterday
    the
    > > instructor walked into the training room and introduced himself for next
    > > week when we will begin classes under his instruction. As many of us
    have
    > > come to expect, he didn't make it through the first 5 minutes of
    > > explaining
    > > what he will be 'teaching' us without causing me to squirm in my seat
    and
    > > roll my eyes. Here are the two finer points about Windows which he
    relayed
    > > to us...
    > >
    > > A) Windows '98 and Me were not reliant on DOS
    > >
    > > ...and hold yourselves down for this one...
    > >
    > > B) The only fundamental changes to Windows since '98 were/are to the
    GUI.

    > > ... so I was wondering if a few of you with greater notoriety in the
    > > community might have some comments for me to pass along to him on
    Monday.
    > > Feel free to express yourselves :)
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Polar

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    "Polar" <polar@ignore.this.com> wrote
    > Here are the two finer points about Windows which he relayed
    > to us...

    *sigh* I'll bet he's an MCSE, too.

    Brian

Windows