want to stop internet connection sharing

we have a small office network, 4 computers. the host is XP Home, linked to
a netgear router sharing files to one workstation and two print servers
(RIPs). The rips are EDOX on NT 4.0 and Colorpass on NT 4.0 I enabled the
netbios on the XP machine and created a workgroup and everything works great.
Then we install new software (Fiery) onto ColorPass NT 4.0 and a service guy
sets the machine to use a web server instead of the Fiery to rip and catches
a virus. This slowly destroys the components of the Colorpass and at the
same time sends the virus out thru the main host computer's internet
connection. our isp has frozen our internet connection until the problem is
fixed. registry and programs on the NT computer are messed up and the
machine needs to be restored but due to complex setup, a certified canon
service tech is needed to restore the colorpass. i want to stop the internet
connection sharing with the colorpass nt 4.0 but still allow the main host
computer to send files over to it. after reading many topics i see
directions to go to the add/remove programs - blah - blah - click off
ICF/ICS; well there is no place to do this. Network Setup wizard is not
installed either. Imagine being hobbled by no internet at your place of
business, where files are emailed back and forth constantly. then imagine
the guy who screwed it up telling you he'll be there in a few days for $800 -
then doesn't show up - EVER. it's been 3 weeks and still no show. if anyone
can help me stop sharing the internet with a nt 4.0 workstation from a XP
Home host computer it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
shogunmiller@hotmail.com
3 answers Last reply
More about want stop internet connection sharing

    Windows NT 4.0 cannot be an ICS host, the functionality
    is not built in to the OS. Perhaps RRAS is running on the
    NT machine? Also I am not clear on exactly what's going
    on. Open a dos prompt and run ipconfig /all and look at
    the tcp/ip address of the DNS server. Is this pointing towards
    the tcp/ip address of the XP machine or the router? It's possible
    the router is sharing the connection to the internet or perhaps the
    XP machine. In any case you can remove the default gateway
    on the NT machine to prevent it from accessing the internet. If the
    address is being pulled from DHCP you'll need to enter the config
    manually without a default gateway.

    "shogunmiller" <shogunmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > we have a small office network, 4 computers. the host is XP Home, linked
    > a netgear router sharing files to one workstation and two print servers
    > (RIPs). The rips are EDOX on NT 4.0 and Colorpass on NT 4.0 I enabled the
    > netbios on the XP machine and created a workgroup and everything works
    great.
    > Then we install new software (Fiery) onto ColorPass NT 4.0 and a service
    guy
    > sets the machine to use a web server instead of the Fiery to rip and
    catches
    > a virus. This slowly destroys the components of the Colorpass and at the
    > same time sends the virus out thru the main host computer's internet
    > connection. our isp has frozen our internet connection until the problem
    is
    > fixed. registry and programs on the NT computer are messed up and the
    > machine needs to be restored but due to complex setup, a certified canon
    > service tech is needed to restore the colorpass. i want to stop the
    internet
    > connection sharing with the colorpass nt 4.0 but still allow the main host
    > computer to send files over to it. after reading many topics i see
    > directions to go to the add/remove programs - blah - blah - click off
    > ICF/ICS; well there is no place to do this. Network Setup wizard is not
    > installed either. Imagine being hobbled by no internet at your place of
    > business, where files are emailed back and forth constantly. then imagine
    > the guy who screwed it up telling you he'll be there in a few days for
    $800 -
    > then doesn't show up - EVER. it's been 3 weeks and still no show. if
    anyone
    > can help me stop sharing the internet with a nt 4.0 workstation from a XP
    > Home host computer it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    > shogunmiller@hotmail.com
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    right, i know nt isn't built for hosting. the rip industry still sends brand
    new systems out that only work with NT because they don't want to upgrade to
    XP. so you say check where it's hopping onto the internet? if it's thru the
    router, switch it to point at the XP host machine manually via DOS. Okay,
    but the XP machine still shares it's internet connection, won't this leave me
    with the same problem? Sorry if i am being unclear. i am so frustrated, it's
    pitiful. i will go ahead and reconfig the routing to make sure it goes to
    the XP w/o the default. Do you think then i should try to run the network
    retard/wizard again on the XP machine? i want the XP to share internet
    connection with other computers, not the NT. The only reason for this is to
    get my internet back up w/o the NT machine attempting to send viruses out. i
    only need to send information TO the NT (print documents). The traffic only
    has to be one way. Thanks for your reply, every clue helps solve the mystery.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Windows NT 4.0 cannot be an ICS host, the functionality
    > is not built in to the OS. Perhaps RRAS is running on the
    > NT machine? Also I am not clear on exactly what's going
    > on. Open a dos prompt and run ipconfig /all and look at
    > the tcp/ip address of the DNS server. Is this pointing towards
    > the tcp/ip address of the XP machine or the router? It's possible
    > the router is sharing the connection to the internet or perhaps the
    > XP machine. In any case you can remove the default gateway
    > on the NT machine to prevent it from accessing the internet. If the
    > address is being pulled from DHCP you'll need to enter the config
    > manually without a default gateway.
    >
    > "shogunmiller" <shogunmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > we have a small office network, 4 computers. the host is XP Home, linked
    > > a netgear router sharing files to one workstation and two print servers
    > > (RIPs). The rips are EDOX on NT 4.0 and Colorpass on NT 4.0 I enabled the
    > > netbios on the XP machine and created a workgroup and everything works
    > great.
    > > Then we install new software (Fiery) onto ColorPass NT 4.0 and a service
    > guy
    > > sets the machine to use a web server instead of the Fiery to rip and
    > catches
    > > a virus. This slowly destroys the components of the Colorpass and at the
    > > same time sends the virus out thru the main host computer's internet
    > > connection. our isp has frozen our internet connection until the problem
    > is
    > > fixed. registry and programs on the NT computer are messed up and the
    > > machine needs to be restored but due to complex setup, a certified canon
    > > service tech is needed to restore the colorpass. i want to stop the
    > internet
    > > connection sharing with the colorpass nt 4.0 but still allow the main host
    > > computer to send files over to it. after reading many topics i see
    > > directions to go to the add/remove programs - blah - blah - click off
    > > ICF/ICS; well there is no place to do this. Network Setup wizard is not
    > > installed either. Imagine being hobbled by no internet at your place of
    > > business, where files are emailed back and forth constantly. then imagine
    > > the guy who screwed it up telling you he'll be there in a few days for
    > $800 -
    > > then doesn't show up - EVER. it's been 3 weeks and still no show. if
    > anyone
    > > can help me stop sharing the internet with a nt 4.0 workstation from a XP
    > > Home host computer it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    > > shogunmiller@hotmail.com

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    XP is sharing the internet connection to NT?

    In order for any machine to get on the internet it needs a default
    gateway along with a DNS server. If you remove the default
    gateway on the NT machine it should not be able to get on the
    internet.

    "shogunmiller" <shogunmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > right, i know nt isn't built for hosting. the rip industry still sends
    brand
    > new systems out that only work with NT because they don't want to upgrade
    > XP. so you say check where it's hopping onto the internet? if it's thru
    the
    > router, switch it to point at the XP host machine manually via DOS. Okay,
    > but the XP machine still shares it's internet connection, won't this leave
    me
    > with the same problem? Sorry if i am being unclear. i am so frustrated,
    it's
    > pitiful. i will go ahead and reconfig the routing to make sure it goes to
    > the XP w/o the default. Do you think then i should try to run the
    network
    > retard/wizard again on the XP machine? i want the XP to share internet
    > connection with other computers, not the NT. The only reason for this is
    > get my internet back up w/o the NT machine attempting to send viruses out.
    > only need to send information TO the NT (print documents). The traffic
    only
    > has to be one way. Thanks for your reply, every clue helps solve the
    mystery.

Internet Connection Windows